Some general questions and buyers advise

Pommes

Hi :)
Sorry if anything i ask was already mentioned somewhere, i googled and searched for days but i am still not sure and new to this whole live tv/DVR stuff.
I recently got a cable tv subscription from an local ISP (Magenta in Germany) and now want to intgrate it somehow in Emby.

I want to be able to watch it live and record stuff. The channels i have are not encrypted so i dont need any Ci modul.

1) Can you recommend any TV-Lan Box with 4 or more tuners that will work with emby "nearly out of box"? Btw DVB-C Cable is not in the same room as my Embyserver so any USB/PCle Card wont work. I googled the devices from Homerun and others mentioned in the Emby Faq but they are all not availabe at the moment.

2) Does anyone already have a similar working setup?
3) Will emby be able to get the tv guide etc from the Reciever? If i plugin my normal samsung tv to the DVB-C i automatically gets guide etc.

Regards,
:)

Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Primes are  very good.  These have 3 tuners per box.  SD is doing another run of these 3 tuner devices so you may want to keep an eye on their site.

VBox Android Gateways can also be used with Emby.  I have one for OTA/ATSC and use it in Emby.  This box exports a m3u file that you setup in Emby and mine works great.

https://vboxcomm.com/product/vbox-android-tv-gateway-for-cable/  They currently have a Black Friday 25% off sale (look at top of site for coupon).

Carlo

thanks i will take a look at the VBox. But to question number 3 will it be able to get/pass through the guide data?

Edited by Pommes

I haven't set one of these up in Germany so I'm not sure if it can pull the guide or not.  But the box does have the ability to export the guide just like the tuner.

One thing I like about these boxes is that since they are iptv/m3u based they can be used with lots of software.  You can be watching channel 10 via some other software and tune to the same channel in Emby, yet the device only uses one tuner and "shares" the same tuner with all software using that channel.  The HDHomeRun devices do NOT do this.  Of course if all viewing is done via Emby it won't matter because Emby itself will share the stream.

But it's nice to have the option of using the device via UPnP/DLNA from other TV/Tablets/phones etc..

Oh forgot to mention it is also a full Android TV client as well which is a bonus.  So if you can get the cable feed near your TV you have a 2 in 1 box as it's both a network tuner and a good client for Emby!

Btw just curious is there a way/other tuner which is able to record and convert to mp4 or sth ci+ tv?

Edited by Pommes

Again haven't used that particular Vbox device but the OTA model I have for USA operation has transcoding built in you can turn on.  I have it set this way so that Emby can pull the full mpeg2 stream but if I view in a browser or other device not able to use mpeg2 it will transcode.

On my device I can also force it to always transcode.  This could be useful if you have the tuner in a different location for example.

Pretty flexible device all around.  It has an Android TV front end (HDMI out) but management is done via web browser for TV type stuff.  The web stuff isn't the best looking GUI but it works and gets the job done for setup/configuration.

k thx 

with 

14 minutes ago, Pommes said:

Btw just curious is there a way/other tuner which is able to record and convert to mp4 or sth ci+ tv?

i ment in general not the vbox (it has no ci slots)

@Pommes - I'm not sure what you're talking about. You mentioned MagentaTV (IPTV) and DVB-C. What is it?

Then you said that you don't need a CA module, later you said that the VBox doesn't have a CI slot...

Edited by softworkz

19 minutes ago, softworkz said:

@Pommes - I'm not sure what you're talking about. You mentioned MagentaTV (IPTV) and DVB-C. What is it?

Then you said that you don't need a CA module, later you said that the VBox doesn't have a CI slot...

Sorry for the mess 😛
Yes so. At the moment I have a basic DVB-C from Magenta NOT IPTV and NO Ci Modul required for it and i was looking for a Tuner for it to integrate it to emby.
I decided to get the VBox everything fine :)

Then i had a seperat idea (because Magenta also offers other packs with more Channel) which DO require a ci+ Module. and was just thinking is there a way to record/stream Ci+ encrypted stuff for emby.

Edited by Pommes

Thanks for the clarification. 

In general, I would rather recommend local tuners and there PCI tuners over USB tuners (e.g. digital-devices.de). Those also allow the use of CA modules in CI slots (but not CI+).
For CI+, there are only not-quite-legal ways.

I can't say much about the VBox.

7 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Is the CA module similar to the CableCARD's used in the U.S.?

Yes and no.

Yes, because the purpose to is to handle encrypted content.

No, because

• It's an open standard
    (except CI+, which is an extension to the module interface)
  • There are many different modules and encryption systems
  • It's neither dead, nor unwanted by broadcasters

Terms:

CA: Conditional Access in general
CAM: CA Module
CI: Common Interface: The slot into which you plug a CAM (hardware-wise it's PCMCIA)
CI+: Extensions to CI to enforce additional restrictions

Setup: You put a CAM into a receiver/TV and your smartcard into the CAM

• Thanks 1

Do you pay a monthly rental fee for the CAM? (CableCARD is a PCMCIA device also, BTW). Currently my provider still does CableCARD. AFAIK, they cannot pull the plug on it because they don't have an AndroidTV app and they're required to provide an alternate means that works on the customer's device(s). I'm pretty sure they could morph the Android Mobile app pretty quickly but the real driver is the cost of replacing the millions of CableCARD based STB's that they get nice fat rent checks on right now.. That said they could eventually not have the CableCARDs available in the future so I won't be giving mine up any time soon.

11 minutes ago, Sammy said:

Do you pay a monthly rental fee for the CAM?

Most CAMs are for buying. But when you get a receiver from the provider (for rent), then it has the CAM integrated. Some of those CAM cannot be bought.

14 minutes ago, Sammy said:

That said they could eventually not have the CableCARDs available in the future

Probably the CableCARD situation is not as bad as some are suspecting. What has happened is that providing CableCARD access is no longer a requirement. That's all.

And - unlike as in Europe - CableCARD doesn't seem to be hit by piracy, which caused the encryption system to get updated every few years.

So I tend to agree that there doesn't seem to be any reason for moving away from CableCARD.

• Thanks 1