DS918+: Manual update changes data path?

TobyTentakel

TobyTentakel

Today I upgraded the Emby Server on my DS918+ to the latest version, as advised here by manually pointing the packet manager to the local file I downloaded from here.

During the suprisingly long installation time (more than one hour) I was already troubled by the messages in the Synology message window saying that new accounts and folders were created and email addresses changed.

Afterwards I found out that this update, unlike all the previous automatic updates, had created a shared folder "Emby" and installed itself into that, then copied the whole database and folder structure from the exisiting installation into that folder. Unfortunately, I already had a folder called "Emby" which is actually my main media drive. So now I have both the Emby installation and the actual media files in the same folder, which is not nice, especially since I have other programs indexing this drive and now they find endless folders of thumbnails created by Emby and treat them as images.

Even worse, during the installation, Emby changed the permission rights to this "Emby" folder, allowing only access to it by the "emby" user account. So even I as an administrator could no longer access my drive data on all my connected devices, neither media players nor Windows SMB shares. It took me quite a while to figure out how what was causing this and how to get my permissions back.

I am now thinking of creating a new shared folder and move all my media files to it, to keep it separate from the Emby installation, but I fear that then all the files would need to be scanned again and the paths in the nfo files regenerated, right? I want to avoid that since a full scan takes several days on my system. Would it help if I ran a batch tool on the nfo files to replace the paths with the new locations or would Emby still query all information for movies anew if the files are found in a new location (with updated nfo files)?

Hi, yes it's a whole new package and there are a few changes but it should be a seamless transition for most users.

If you move the media files then yes it will cause rescanning.

TobyTentakel

Ok, thanks. I will wait for my new hard drives to arrive, then do a backup of my 32TB, and then try to move the data :)

TobyTentakel

It seems it is already re-indexing the thumbnails/covers, sigh.

As far as I can see, the old metadata path is no longer used and has been emptied, is that correct?

I don't want to have two metadata folders on my NAS with more than 100.000 thumbnail files each.

As far as I can see, the old metadata path is no longer used and has been emptied, is that correct?

It was migrated, yes. Apologies for the disruption. It was a one-time overhaul of the Synology package.

TobyTentakel

Hmm, still having problems with the new Emby release for Synology and the data path.

Tonight at 3am it started its weekly full library scan as a scheduled tasks, but started deleting all the media data:

2020-11-25 03:00:08.771 Info App: Deleting path /volume1/Emby/metadata/library/45/45e0651131c98366caab4ea072c48c2c

Lines like that going on for 7 hours now in the log file, no other activity. I can't access any content on the Emby webfrontent or Android app, it says all libraries are empty :(

TobyTentakel

After 10 hours of deleting metadata, it did now start re-creating it, for every item in the libraries, and with a gazillion of media files this means many many internet requests. The server is under load ever since, I can't use my NAS and from the past I assume this will take several days until finishing.

I just hope that not too much metadata will be overwritten with incorrect/nonsense infos, I spent 2 years correcting the entries or creating new metadata for films that were not found.

And even after Emby has finished, I still won't be able to use it yet, since all my mediaplayer backends are based on Kodi, and the Emby for Kodi plugin can't deal with a library with too many new entries, or rather Emby for Kodi eats up all the available memory on the client devices trying to load the new entries into memory and crashes the device.

Hmm, not too happy at the moment, wish I had just ignored the update of the server for now.

Edited by TobyTentakel

TobyTentakel

After 40 hours straight, my library scan finally completed, and except for a handful of files, the previous metadata still seems to be intact, phew!

Now I have to work a bit on the Emby for Kodi plugin code so it won't crash my clients with all the new data. The workaround does however mean another 2-3 days of syncing unless I find a better approach.

On 11/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, TobyTentakel said:

After 40 hours straight, my library scan finally completed, and except for a handful of files, the previous metadata still seems to be intact, phew!

Now I have to work a bit on the Emby for Kodi plugin code so it won't crash my clients with all the new data. The workaround does however mean another 2-3 days of syncing unless I find a better approach.

You may want to check this out:

A new version of the emby for kodi add-on is in progress which should be faster and lighter.

TobyTentakel
1 minute ago, Luke said:

You may want to check this out:

A new version of the emby for kodi add-on is in progress which should be faster and lighter.

Yes, I know this very well, I had already discussed this topic with quickmic before and showed him where the problem was and how I and others fixed it in the other product's sources. He knows about this issue, but since it is related to multithreading and that is not easily available across all hardware platforms in Python, he is trying to come up with a different approach.