Subtitle appearance is fine on my device, but when I cast to my Chromecast it reverts to default.

TomVan

I have made the subtitles smaller and removed the drop shadow.
When I play the content on my phone (Pixel 3) in the app it  shows the changed setting and it works fine.

When I cast it to my chromecast gen2. it reverts back to normal subtitles with black shadow.
In the app it says that the settings on the device that is casting will be applied on the chromecast, but it doesnt seem to work.

I tried it from a different phone (apple) and I have the same issue. 

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Kind regards 

Edited by TomVan

Also having a similar issue , from a couple of weeks now, there is this black backround on the subtitles, which it never was before. I have never modified any of the subtitles settings and yet  I can't get rid of this backround bar, which before it was transparent.
I reinstalled de server ,  switch browsers, but nothing seems to work in order to go back to the previous subtitle appearance.

I would really appreciate any help on this matter

Thanks in advance

Just wanted to watch a movie and ran into the same issue. Watched one a couple of weeks ago and I had small subtitles with no background casting to my Chromecast. But now suddenly the subtitles are bigger and have a black background. This is while making use of srt files.

Edited by daroy

fabianvzwol

having the same issue. Using on Chrome, LG TV app or something else, subtitles show normal (white with a drop shadow, not complete black background). Tested this on Chromecast V2 and a Chromecast Ultra, both running on the latest firmware. 

Happens to me on both .srt as subrip files, I have Subtitle Extraction turned on (although changing it doesn't make a difference with this issue)

• 2 weeks later...
KrisFriFly

Having the same problem. Emby on iOS not respecting the appearance of subtitles when Chromecasted (Chromecast 2). 

Having big white subtitles with black background. Any way to circumvent this or at least remove the background?

Also the subtitles appear much higher than they should (when compared to Plex, Netflix, etc.) At least a full subtitle line height too much. See attached picture. Should be hugging the black bar in the bottom more. Is there a fix for this?

5BF0E8F8-C080-41BB-BC98-3C55363A1B7F.jpeg

Edited by KrisFriFly

KrisFriFly
On 11/28/2020 at 2:04 AM, Luke said:

Thanks for reporting. We're looking into it.

So they also seems to be overlap, the two subtitle lines.

On top of that the following issues are present:

- text a bit too large 

- subtitles not low enough

- it does not respect the options set in the Emby app (even tho it says options carries over chromecast) 

See picture.

Hope this info helps

7C90FFC8-5A01-41CF-83FB-4F5C0F68F008.jpeg

Edited by KrisFriFly

• 2 weeks later...
Goombah

Same problem here. Has always been working fine, but all of sudden (probably after an update) started showing black semi-transparent background for SRT subtitles. 

Setup:
Samsung UE43NU7020
Chromecast Ultra
Emby v4.5.4.0
Windows 10 Professional