Playback freeze multiple times during DirectPlay

gabbo126

gabbo126

Hi, I encounter an issue while playing videos. After a variable time span (sometimes 5, sometimes 40 minutes) playback completely stops for a very long time. This occurs multiple time during the same reproduction, making impossible to enjoy the movie. This happens with a lot of files (don't know if all in my library) but only when reproduced directly. Forcing a transcoding seems to be a valid workaround.

In the example provided, playback stopped between 12:11:40-12:12:00 and resumed by itself at about 12:22.

setup:

Emby Server 4.5.2.0

System Raspbian

RAM 2 gb

CPUs 4

Info from media file:

Screenshot_2020-11-16_Emby.png.076bf9ef84f5bbe3457dda652419a894.png

embyserver.txt

Edited by gabbo126

gabbo126
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, please try lowering the in app quality setting and see if that helps. Thanks.

Like I said, lowering quality and thus forcing a transcoding is working. Unfortunately this is not a solution for me because I don't want to see my movies with low resolution. Also this is unbearable for my cpu (I'm on a SoC).

Happy2Play

But that resolution shown above is already extremely low.  With a bitrate of less than 1Mb I would think there are issues in other areas such as network or hardware.

gabbo126
10 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But that resolution shown above is already extremely low.  With a bitrate of less than 1Mb I would think there are issues in other areas such as network or hardware.

Yes in the specific example I provided, transcode is not a problem for CPU load. However, just why the source is low resolution, if I further lower the quality from the app I get a really awful stream. Considering that codec is supported by browser I'm wondering why I need to transcode.

From what I know hardware is working. Regarding network, I tried to ping my server and I get no packet loss. Also when issue occurs and playback stops my client connection continues to work regularly. Don't know if this is enough to consider my network stable.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you connected remotely?

No, both client and server are in the same network.

gabbo126
On 11/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, Luke said:

Where are your media files stored. It looks like you have an i/o bottleneck somewhere.

My media are stored in an external HDD connected to the SoC via USB. Is possible that a bottleneck occurs also while playing a media with a low bitrate like the one I used in my example?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, gabbo126 said:

My media are stored in an external HDD connected to the SoC via USB. Is possible that a bottleneck occurs also while playing a media with a low bitrate like the one I used in my example?

A simple way to test this would be does the same thing happen if media was local vs external?  But that is sounding like the issue if media has issues direct playing from external drives  not feeding the clients fast enough, but when transcoding the server can get and process the media then send to client fast enough.