Kill 4K Transcode Streams/Paused Time Out

bakes82

bakes82
58 minutes ago, cayars said:

Then I'd rather help my user fix the playback problem so they can direct play it assuming they have the bandwidth and equipment to do so.
That's what I've done.  Those that can't play the 4K material don't get access to it on my server.

You do you.  The plugin also gave a message as to why they were transcoding and what a possible solution to the fix was.  If it was only audio there was also a toggle to allow the 4k to transcode audio IE 7.1 to 2.0, but the cpu killer is on the video side and more often than not its related to peering or something outside of your control in most cases.  Me telling the user to set it to max quality wont fix shitty ISPs and their connection to the server in all cases, so better to have fail safes in places to prevent someone from taking up CPU when you could just kill the stream.  Also a lot of users just don't want to deal with the settings or don't understand how to do it.  But in the end, my users don't like Emby/Emby UI so its a moot point.

BTW, I wasn't telling you how to do this, only how I personally handle this situation. Emby can be used many ways by different people for sure.

I've not used this plugin before.  Can you tell me when it cuts the stream off what kind of error does the user get on their side?

bakes82
32 minutes ago, cayars said:

BTW, I wasn't telling you how to do this, only how I personally handle this situation. Emby can be used many ways by different people for sure.

I've not used this plugin before.  Can you tell me when it cuts the stream off what kind of error does the user get on their side?

IDT it works any more I stopped testing Emby months ago so no idea, someone could fork and update the server api nuget, if you look at the github should be images of output its sends the user a message which is the transcode reason of the server + something like please check your remote quality and audio I think, plus it would either pause/stop the stream, people wanted to customize it but I was already on my way out(depending on client and what the api would support), all using a sched task so you could run it every 1min or 5min or what not, it would also kill paused session over xx time.

also the message system isnt universal across all platform/api so another issue.  Emby just too many issues to deal with to make it viable.  Not all clients implement the same functions, some you couldnt stop only pause, like wtf.  Was a nightmare for sure.

Edited by bakes82

• 1 month later...
MangoMC
1 hour ago, bella0450 said:

You can also make the video smaller before streaming.

Really? 

Why has nobody told me that before? You are my hero of the day. 🤦‍♂️

amb13
On 7/16/2021 at 8:31 AM, bella0450 said:

You can also make the video smaller before streaming.

What do you mean?

• 8 months later...
Bagul

Hello, I don't know if the plugin is still maintained. But I have exceptions from time to time.

Session 93930293e1988e6e7f0c844fb2bb0ee8 not found.
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.GetSessionToRemoteControl(String sessionId)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.SendPlaystateCommand(String controllingSessionId, String sessionId, PlaystateRequest command, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at KillStreams.KillStreamScheduledTask.Execute(CancellationToken cancellationToken, IProgress`1 progress)
   at Emby.Server.Implementations.ScheduledTasks.ScheduledTaskWorker.ExecuteInternal(TaskOptions options)

bakes82

I reworked the code to just target HEVC instead of 4k since HEVC tends to be a larger cpu hog and most people store them in hevc 265.  You can see the new UI where you toggle video/audio and set the message the users see here: 

Mookdog

Wow this is plugin is incredible. I was just complaining about my nephew pausing his damn stream. He lives in Florida and I am here in PA. He uses emby for windows (Dunno why the jackass dont just buy a $20 onn box) most of his streams transcode. He has a tendency of pausing stuff and leaving it paused all damn night. This will solve that problem. I just tested it out on my end and it works great

Thank u so much to the creator

Mook

• 1 year later...
lundblad
On 25/03/2022 at 05:55, bakes82 said:

I reworked the code to just target HEVC instead of 4k since HEVC tends to be a larger cpu hog and most people store them in hevc 265.  You can see the new UI where you toggle video/audio and set the message the users see here: 

I did install this few days ago, now im playing 4k h265 stream in webbrowser. Still transcode to h264 with this plaugin on. Why ? :(

4 minutes ago, lundblad said:

I did install this few days ago, now im playing 4k h265 stream in webbrowser. Still transcode to h264 with this plaugin on. Why ? :(

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!