wrong audio language emby on FireTV Stick

Okler

I think it is point 3 (but I don't know why), because:

When I login as a user (I call him user A), never played or even touched this series - it is no problem to use german as default. Just follow, what I tried:

User A: 1) click on any episode

User A: 2) see, german is marked as playback language

User A: 3) go to settings and change to english as default

User A: 4) go back to big bang theory and look at the same episode or even any other episode - now english is marked as default playback language.

User A: 5) go to settings and change back to german as default

User A: 6) now german is my suggested playback language for big bang theory

User FireTV: 1) click on any episode

User FireTV: 2) see, english is marked as playback language

User FireTV: 3) go to settings and change to english as default

User FireTV: 4) go back to big bang theory and look at the same episode or even any other episode - english is marked as default playback language.

User FireTV: 5) go to settings and change back to german as default

User FireTV: 6) english is still my suggested playback language for big bang theory

Because of this fact, I think it isn't due to the audio track but on something in the users profile for my FireTV user. And this seems to be your point 3 as the most likely cause. Also user FireTV has played all episodes some time before (but not the english language!)

Edited by Okler

You've already established previously you have played back The Big Bang Theory so the test above is invalid and meaningless except to support what ebr, I and others have stated that Emby WILL remember your last play back setting for that specific media.

It appears to have worked as designed.

I thought of one more possibility.  It would also be possible for the saved track to be not what you expect if you actually changed the media between when it was played and now.

For instance, the media was played at a time when track 1 was German and then, at a later time, you replaced the episode with one where track 1 is now English.

I'm not positive if the system will wipe out the saved state in this exact situation.

• Like 1

Hello ebr,
this is a very good idea that I have not yet come up with. If internally only the ID is stored instead of the language, this could be a possible scenario. I partly exchange successively SD content with HD content. I don't pay attention to the order of the languages and sometimes I have no influence on it. Big Bang SD-content I have mostly replaced by HD-content.

The big question is now:
1) how can you help me, this fact will apply to some of my media. With movies it wouldn't be that bad, because you only click once, but with series it is very annoying.

The smaller questions are now:
2) does a reset button make sense, so that the user can really reset the complete status of a movie / a complete series?
3) doesn't it make more sense to generally suggest the default language, as DVD and Bluray players do? Even Disney+ (and I think also Netflix) does it this way - there is a global language setting and not per movie/series. When I select english - all media is played in english. When I select German, all media will be played in German.

Thanks a lot for your help

20 hours ago, Okler said:

doesn't it make more sense to generally suggest the default language

Not if, on a previous playback, the user deliberately changed it to something else.  A default is just that - chosen in the case of where there isn't an active choice made by the user.

@Luke looks like we need to be sure we clear out any saved audio/sub indexes whenever the media is changed (assuming we already don't and this is what happened here).

Hello ebr,
yes, I understand your approach - I just want to question or suggest if it is a good approach or if it could not be made better / easier? Disney+ and other big providers do not do it like emby.

Again to think about - after I have watched a movie or a series to the end, all individual settings are obsolete for me and I want to start with the default values at the next start. I'm sure other users will do the same.

I.e. if I mark it as seen (or watch it to the end) and then mark it as unseen, I want all old settings reset.

Think about this internally.

--> Question 2: How can my problem be solved shortly? <--

23 minutes ago, Okler said:

Question 2: How can my problem be solved shortly?

Completely removing the series from Emby, doing a library scan to completion, and then re-adding it and scanning again may do it...

On 11/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, Luke said:

Currently you can't although it's something we plan to add in future updates.

Currently you can't clear the remembered selections but it's something we plan to add in future updates. Thanks.

... perfect ☹️

In the meantime I'm left alone with my problem. And all because the standard behavior of emby is completely different from industry standard solutions (see Disney+, Netflix, DVD/Blueray Players...).

Remembering audio track selections is different?

exact,

at Disney+ the setting is global, i.e. if I watch the last movie in English, the next one starts in English as well. If I watch the last movie in German, the next one starts in German as well, regardless of the title.
Netflix is certainly similar.
DVD and Bluray players are the same - when I remove the last disc and insert the next one, it starts with the default settings and not the way I watched it 5 years ago.

Edited by Okler