[SOLVED] Asking for advice on migrating metadata info from "normal" to NFO stored on library

cubatilles
Go to solution Solved by pwhodges,

cubatilles

Hi,

I'm an Emby user since 2 or 3 months ago. Still experimenting on some things, but I'm already on a production scenario, with hundreds of items. I've spent a lot of time customizing metadata for single items, and such. As I'm an Emby Premiere user, I'm using the Emby Backup plugin to backup everything in case of disaster.

However, I've read recently on other similar posts, and later I confirmed according to the wiki here:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

That the Emby Backup plugin does not backup metadata at all. According to the wiki, it's recommended to store local metadata to media folders. Until now, I just didn't use this option because I didn't want Emby to have write access to my media library. So I prefered to let Emby save metadata in its internal database, and use the Emby Backup plugin to backup the data. But given that metadata cannot be backed up this way, I can switch to store it on local media folders. In case I want to enable the option to store metadata to media folders, how would be a safe way to do the migration?

Is it enough enabling the option "Nfo" on each library? Should I also enable the "Saving pictures on media folders"? (Sorry I have my Emby on Spanish and I'm translating the option, not sure if it's named that way). I guess I should enable both if I want it to store all metadata on the library, with its info/plots/customized artwork items, etc...

And more importantly, I already have lots of valuable customized metadata for my libraries. What will happen when I enable this option to store metadata on library folders? Will Emby migrate all existing (emby-database) metadata to the nfo format and store it to the correct place on my library? I don't want to lose customized posters, etc... so I want to make sure it will save my existing metadata instead of downloading it again from the scrappers.

And well, in case the migration is not a safe process, is there any other way to make this migration?

And in case there is no other way, is there any good way of backing up the folders where emby stores this data? I guess images are stored as files and other metadata is stored in a specific table on a database?  I'm guessing alot here, but shouldn't it be possible to automate some type of reliable backup copying the folder and making a dump of the table where metadata is stored?

In case it matters, I'm using Emby 4.5.2.0 on a Synology x86-64 NAS.

I kow I'm asking lots of things here. Thanks for any attention you give. Congratulations for this great software. I hope it gets better and better over time.

Sincerely,

Edited by cubatilles
Added the [SOLVED] tag as the asked questions have been appropriately answered

• Solution
pwhodges

As far as I know, there is no way to transfer the metadata that you have customised - to get NFOs you have to rescan the library, and so lose your own modifications.

However, if the main issue is backup, you can always just backup the directory in which Emby is installed, and under which all the database and images are stored.

Paul

cubatilles

Hi @pwhodges,

Thanks for your support. I've done this. I'll setup some cron to automate it on a regular basis while there isn't any better solution.

Don't know if it is the right way to suggest for future features, but it would be cool to impkement this:

-Being able to backup the entire metadata with the Backup Plugin (basically being able to backup everything but the library itself).

-Being able to migrate from "internal-database-mode" to "NFO local metadata stored on media folders".

Is there any good place to suggest features like these?

Sincerely.

pwhodges
15 minutes ago, cubatilles said:

Is there any good place to suggest features like these?

Almost at the top of the forum is the Feature Requests section.  You should check for existing requests similar to yours which you could add support to before adding another of your own; the amount of support for each suggestion is gauged from the number of replies, I think.

Paul

• Like 1