Live TV and Movies Transcoding

Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby

Switching over from Plex again haha. I know that in the past there was issues with the transcode throttle not being really smart, it was just kind of been off and on. My question is there a way to specify movies have to direct play but live TV can transcode? Or has the transcode throttle been fixed. I just don't want to encounter live TV buffering again when someone goes to watch a movie transcoding. I want to have movies and live TV all on one server not share between Plex and Emby. Although Emby is slower at starting the channels, it works and it doesn't have as many issues as Plex. Thank you 😊 

Hi there. 

My question is there a way to specify movies have to direct play but live TV can transcode?

There is nothing you need to do. They will already direct play whenever possible. Did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Jason'sEmby

Hi, I haven't really , I just remember Roku transcoding quite a bit especially 265(no 4k). None of my Android devices transcode. I know on Plex if I set it at 12 megabits it will direct play all movies and only transcode live TV.

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Changing that without knowing that's the reason is just guesswork. The first thing I would do is explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding.

• Like 1

Jason'sEmby
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Changing that without knowing that's the reason is just guesswork. The first thing I would do is explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding.

Okay I'll give it a shot. What I'm going to do is leave the option on automatic and see if it direct plays the movies and if not see why.  I'll touch base with you once I find out if it's still doing it. This was over a year-and-a-half ago so it might have changed. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Hi, I haven't really , I just remember Roku transcoding quite a bit especially 265(no 4k). None of my Android devices transcode. I know on Plex if I set it at 12 megabits it will direct play all movies and only transcode live TV.

If you were around during Blue Neon Night days you will remember how capable that client was (..and still is for that matter). Those same "guts"(with better logic) are part of the Roku app on Emby. The entire capabilities have changed in the last 2 years. If this was a year and a half ago perhaps all the changes were not quite incorporated. But we are quite far along from those days. There was no automatic playback recovery then. No stats for nerds. There was no way to effectively change audio or subtitle streams before playback. All of these things are now taken for granted. But there was a time when all of that was something coming in the future.

We need users who remember the app as it "used to be" to give us feedback on the apps "present condition" and give us honest feedback. Without comparing to anything else. Just how much it fills your wish list or does not. Everybody has a wish list. What are some of your wishes? It is Christmas. Maybe they get granted. Never know. The future can be anything. But it has to start somewhere. With some wish.

Please give us another try on Roku and let us know where we stand. We want honest feedback. Do not be afraid to punch hard.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Jason'sEmby

Hi Speechles, its been awhile! 

So far it looks like it's night and day.

Couple things I've noticed so far. It's been running extremely well. Still have a second buffer after the initial startup buffer on live tv. But live TV is actually playing without airing out over a couple hours so far!!!!, thats huge.. Movies so far have not transcoded like they used to. 

Errors within the past couple hours of testing on roku,

If pausing the movie or TV show recording too long it gets Frozen on that screen and when trying to click resume a tries to start live TV.

Christmas wish list 😆

PS5 native app

Faster Roku tv guide scrolling, as its really 🐌 

Remove the second buffer and just increase the initial buffer when streaming live TV channel on roku

Android TV live TV channel tuning if at all possible increase initial load time

Option to separate live TV verse movies disabling transcoding option

Favorite Channel icon option on Emby home screen

⛄☃️🎄🎁

I'll update as the time goes on as I love testing!! I was a Plex Alpha and beta tester until they started releasing known issues on public buildings which didn't sit with me right.

Edited by Jason'sEmby
  • Like 1

Again emby apps will already direct play whenever possible. If it's transcoding is because there is a reason. Knowing that do you still feel that you need an option?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Faster Roku tv guide scrolling, as its really 🐌

I feel that. In fact it is one of our priorities is to fix this issue. I like that you hit the nail squarely on the head. The slow scrolling on Live TV Guide is at the top of priorities. Fixing this issue is what all focus is on presently. Glad you feel the same way. ;)

BTW.. Has scrolling too quickly on the guide ever broken for you? You need to exit and restart the app to fix. This will also be corrected.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Jason'sEmby
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Again emby apps will already direct play whenever possible. If it's transcoding is because there is a reason. Knowing that do you still feel that you need an option?

It's just nice to have. But so far not necessary. I'll see in a couple days once I put all 10 of my TV's on:)

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby
3 minutes ago, speechles said:

I feel that. In fact it is one of our priorities is to fix this issue. I like that you hit the nail squarely on the head. The slow scrolling on Live TV is at the top of priorities. Fixing this issue is what all focus is on presently. Glad you feel the same way. ;)

Sounds great. If that's fixed that will help a lot. And maybe something's can be done with the buffer that would also help, as 45 seconds (initial and second) buffer for 1 minute and 30 seconds into a live TV show is not fun 😑.  

7 minutes ago, Jason'sEmby said:

Sounds great. If that's fixed that will help a lot. And maybe something's can be done with the buffer that would also help, as 45 seconds (initial and second) buffer for 1 minute and 30 seconds into a live TV show is not fun 😑.  

That buffer is when the Roku gets the m3u8. It then goes to play the first segment. Which may not have arrived yet. So it does this odd rebuffer. Doesn't do it every single time depends on the bitrate of that channel. We can also look into this since it happens with Live TV and the other work is Live TV focused.

Going to do an entire walk-around on the Live TV parts and see where we can improve. But for sure that scrolling issue is going to get  solved. It makes using the guide difficult and painful. Then it locks up. You cant scroll it anymore. Need to exit and restart the app. You scream the F-Word. Then go back to watching Live TV until it happens again scrolling that guide. I completely understand the problem.

If it is buffering during playback at 30 seconds or 45 seconds for a second or so. Doing this often it is because the signal strength for that channel might be low. This will lag ffmpeg as it has to correct those bad bits. When Emby is playing Live TV it cannot go beyond real time. So if you are playing at the real-time point this might happen often. You can pause for just a bit. I know it is a hassle. But pause for just 5-6 seconds. Then play. That will smooth out the ride and stop those interval buffering because now there is a read-ahead buffer. You are not playing right at the real-time point. You are behind 5-6 seconds. This is honestly what the problem is.

Edited by speechles
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
Jason'sEmby

@speechles hello, out of nowhere the live TV on Roku has stopped doing the second buffer. Were you the one to solve this? Or did it just magically happened LOL. It's been 2 days now it hasn't done the second long buffer and it's been running great without that annoying second buffer.

Edit, It does seem to do it still but a while after watching the channel and it's pretty quick. Only happened once so far today. 

Edited by Jason'sEmby

Jason'sEmby
On 11/19/2020 at 9:28 AM, Luke said:

So after about three weeks of testing yes I do believe this would be a great feature. On Roku if you direct play or direct stream for an extended time it ends up erroring out. Usually within the hour. But on movies and TV show recordings it plays Perfect. If there was a way to set transcoding for live TV only this would actually alleviate the error issues. As I tested this at 12 Meg Max setting and didn't have any TV drops. 

@Jason'sEmby The issue with Live TV is you do not know why the error occured.

With normal media with a runtime you know why it errors. There is a problem with the file if it is direct playing. We then fallback to direct stream and play it in a new container. That usually solves it. But it might not since it copies the video stream. If there is still an error when playing then you must use a new container AND fallback to transcode the video stream. Once you get to transcoding the next error is going to error out. Because there is nowhere to go from there.

But with Live TV there is somewhere to go from there. Every error you just continue with full transcoding. Since Live TV is based on real-time conditions when you start at the beginning over again it will not get the same error. It will not be the same beginning. Live TV is based on time. Time always moves forward. Recovery will always work. Since Live TV is based on time and never runs out you can have endless error recovery for Live TV which is what we should be doing (or at least Live TV should be a much larger error count). Once it gets to full transcoding it just stays there and recovers when it needs to. The error count is meaningless for Live TV as it can have endless errors and just keep going. This would work much better for users.

We can look at making Live TV better for users in more than this one area. Stay tuned(pun intended!) to see what improves with Live TV. ^_^

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Jason'sEmby

Sounds great you guys have truly done something amazing on Android TV. It runs pretty much flawless. Been testing on Nvidia shield and mi boxes ( version 8.1 as 9.0 has a video shutter problem with live TV)

• Like 1