Shield TV and ASS subtitles

alfablac

alfablac

Before going on showing logs etc please help me with this.

I have a Shield 2017 and a Samsung TV with a system prior to Tizen. One of the last before Tizen.

Playing files with embedded ASS subs will only get proper formatting if transcoded. I'm genuinely curious to understand why that would happen. I imagine it could be possible to direct play that content because the Emby Android client works (not ATV but Android mobile)

I'm wondering, for example, if I'm using some extra config in my library settings that is causing this. 

FrostByte

Emby for Android (aka the mobile app) has got a modified version of Exoplayer they are working on which now supports rendering of ASS subtitles and some other things which the publicly released version of Exoplayer doesn't have.  If all goes well ebr mentioned he may work it into the next round of ATV betas

btw the OS before Tizen was Orsay

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Hi.  Frostbyte is correct.  The player supports rendering these subs but not with their embedded formatting.  So, if you must have the formatting, then we offer the option to burn them in.

In the future, we will extend Exo in this app to support the formatting.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
Mister D

Jumping on the back of this topic. @ebrI'm currently using both the ATV and the Android beta clients. The Android client plays the stylized subtitles without transcoding but in certain instances, say the opening of an anime where there is karaoke styling and extra effects, the subtitles fail to display correctly. So it looks like even the Android version of Exoplayer being used doesn't handle these subtitles as well as a player like Kodi or VLC. It would be great if this could be addressed in the testing and development of the updated player for AndroidTV so that it can handle as wide a range of ASS/SSA subtitles with all kinds of styling effects and fonts.

but in certain instances, say the opening of an anime where there is karaoke styling and extra effects, the subtitles fail to display correctly

This should be resolved for the next update to the app. Thanks.

• Like 1

Mister D

@LukeSweet!! Looking forward to it. Right now the handling of subtitles in anime is the only thing that makes me as a previous lifelong Kodi user miss using it. Everything else has been a vast improvement in ease of use, functionality, and wife acceptance factor. Since a majority of what I watch is anime, handling all the weird styling stuff fansub groups like to add as well as Kodi or VLC will make Emby the media silver bullet I've been seeking for over a decade.

• 2 years later...

Is this still an issue in the Android TV app? I was watching a few episodes with ASS subtitles yesterday (direct streaming) and they were very small in comparison to PGS or SRT subs on other files.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:06 AM, Ceten said:

Is this still an issue in the Android TV app? I was watching a few episodes with ASS subtitles yesterday (direct streaming) and they were very small in comparison to PGS or SRT subs on other files.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...