Emby with Hauppauge HD-PVR for viewing/controlling cable box (both locally and remotely, i.e. Slingbox substitute)?

Fongaboo

Fongaboo

I've been seeing a lot of discussions and tutorials about using Emby with Hauppauge OTA tuners for Live TV. But can I use a Hauppauge HD-PVR unit combined with a cable box?

I have the HD-PVR connected to the cable box using analog YUV component cables and the HD-PVR connected to the PC using a USB cable. So far I have only used it with native software just to view the cable box on the PC in a window/fullscreen and manually record to the PC's hard drive. So far I've been just controlling the cable box with its standard remote.

I haven't played with this aspect yet, but the HD-PVR does come with hardware/software to remote control a cable box with with an included IR-blaster. Can Emby be used as the front-end for such a setup?

I hopefully would like to use Emby as a means of watching LiveTV on the local PC the HD-PVR is hooked up to. But also wondering if I can use Emby to stream the output of the cable box outside my house, while also being able to remotely change channels on the cable box, etc. (ala the old Slingboxes)

Hi, Not directly as Emby doesn't support IR Blaster channel changes.  However some other DVR software does.  I think Next PVR can do this and if so you could have Next PVR feeding Emby.

Basically just using Next PVR by way of an m3u file.