HDR 4k HVEC mkv picture

Guest kovibalko

Guest kovibalko

Hi!

Recently, I started downloading HDR 4k mkv movies of various sizes.
I have found that the size of the film is 25 gb - 50 gb, if HDR, then in either case I see the image neither sharper nor more true to color than any smooth full hd mkv, the contrast of the black is not so conspicuous.
(LGUJ701V 2017 4K HDR UHD TV)
Of course, I also tried to switch between different HDR image modes (I even set one mode for an individual) but the image is by no means as stunning as, for example, a youtube video.
Specifically, none of the 10 movies downloaded so far have convinced me why this HDR 4k would be more impressive than a plain full hd.
My question would be what could cause this, the ripping of the movie itself, or whatever ..... There should be no problem with the TV, seeing this in the quality of other HDR content than youtube.

thanks in advance

Guest kovibalko
1 hour ago, kovibalko said:

Hi!

Recently, I started downloading HDR 4k mkv movies of various sizes.
I have found that the size of the film is 25 gb - 50 gb, if HDR, then in either case I see the image neither sharper nor more true to color than any smooth full hd mkv, the contrast of the black is not so conspicuous.
(LGUJ701V 2017 4K HDR UHD TV)
Of course, I also tried to switch between different HDR image modes (I even set one mode for an individual) but the image is by no means as stunning as, for example, a youtube video.
Specifically, none of the 10 movies downloaded so far have convinced me why this HDR 4k would be more impressive than a plain full hd.
My question would be what could cause this, the ripping of the movie itself, or whatever ..... There should be no problem with the TV, seeing this in the quality of other HDR content than youtube.

I attach the statistics of a sonic, 5th wave and martian - The image of martian HDR is clearly more enjoyable at the same setting, would it depend on the bitrate?

thanks in advance

sonic.jpg

the 5th wave.jpg

Martian.jpg

rbjtech

Do you see 'HDR' being flagged on the TV ?

Also to note, any 4K movie that has been reduced from it's original size (compressed) is subject to quality loss and may have been poorly done.

To put it another way - If a 100 Mbit 4K original is now a 25 Mbit stream - it has lost 75% of it's raw data ... 

If you want to see the unaltered stream - then you need a 'Remux' - ie uncompressed version.

Guest kovibalko

thanks for the quick response.
yes it pops up with little HDR hanging in any case.
and how do i know, in addition to its size, how many mbit could the original 4k have been?
I'll try it for a remux

rbjtech
20 hours ago, kovibalko said:

and how do i know, in addition to its size, how many mbit could the original 4k have been?

You can't  - but a typical bitrate for a UHD Blu-Ray is 80-100 Mbit/sec - which includes both video and uncompressed Audio track(s).  This works out to about 60-100 Gbytes in total, per movie, depending on the length of the film and bitrate used obviously.

Guest kovibalko

I understand, thanks

I downloaded a couple of videos in a similarly large format as a test, but either it didn't play or I couldn't wrap it ... pl Midway
Maybe I'll stay with the plain 1080 :) maybe it's more reliable, anyway, reading it afterwards, many people share my opinion that it's not necessarily sharper and more beautiful many times - not to mention its size :)

thanks again

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kovibalko

Hi! Again I :) (LG 49UJ701 4K UHD HDR tv - 2017) problem is still the following: I stream the movie to the tv and the quality of 4k HDR movies in many cases does not even approach the smooth Full HD quality - color fidelity, sharpness, contrast Unfortunately. I also experience this at remux (uncompressed) mkv ... (I also played with settings, there was no change) 600mb for sample only .. 130gb for film. I'm aware that the uhd tvm I bought in 2017 isn't that new - it doesn't even track a kilometer of oleds :), but specifically I see the smooth 1080ps movie as sharp compared to it (attached to the details) ... (in any hdr mode ) ..... I understandably don't show images from the movie because it never returns. I've tried the same movies from an external winchester, but the result isn't better here either - I'm weird because youtube 4k or hdr content is much more detailed, sharper. Unfortunately, I don't experience such pictures at remux mkv either. Wouldn’t your TV screen be able to handle these movies so much?

129222687_3520651161323198_6759764361014389090_o.jpg

129194972_3520651167989864_2523469962433879734_o.jpg

129204446_3520651124656535_7985224330002241908_o.jpg

129523700_3520651121323202_5251116525851398642_o.jpg

rbjtech

4K 'should' be noticeably better than 1080p, especially at double the bitrate - but there are so many factors - such as if the source of the movie in the first place was filmed in 4K,   'Hollywood' tend to do is add film grain - which sometimes takes away detail imo etc...

A true 'reference' for 4K sharpness is a recent Pixar movie - this has no grain and should be very very sharp - if you see no difference vs 1080p - then there is something wrong with your TV .. (or your eyes .. 🤪)