Forum update

Abobader

19 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I like to have it to un-screw-up posts when the editor gets in a mess (which it can, you know!)

Example?

I write a LOT in this forum and have never had to edit the source of a post.

pwhodges

It may be that I do things wrong, but it is ungracious about handling deletion and rearrangement of embedded pictures, in my experience.  I'm also more used to typing in forums at the source level (it reduces having to switch back and forth between keyboard and mouse).  But it's not a big concern, I admit.

Paul

I doubt you do things "wrong" but I think you are probably a very advanced subset of the audience :).  Would you agree that most users do not write in html and would be much more likely to screw something up with that than they would be to fix it?

pwhodges

It's html, then?  In that case I can see your point!  I was assuming it was BBcode, like most forums.

Paul

4 hours ago, mastrmind11 said:

the old forum, when you clicked "mark site read", it would take you back to the main forum page and position you at the top of the page.  on the new forum, when you click "mark site read", you just sit on the same page and position and have to scroll up to the top and click "home" to have the same effect, which is 2 more actions than previously.

I see what you mean now, yes, this how the new forum build work now.

8 hours ago, CBers said:

There's no SOURCE button.

2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

And there isn't for me:

What browser you guys using?

1 hour ago, ebr said:

I write a LOT in this forum and have never had to edit the source of a post.

Same thing here.

• 3 weeks later...

Agree reaction in case you did not notice it and it a positive one.

2021-03-18_6-58-34.jpg

• Agree 1

pwhodges

I notice that in the topic listing, the most recent post date no longer shows who the most recent poster was (I think it used to - certainly it's usual in other forums).  Knowing that (especially if it's staff) certainly helps choose prioritise what to read.

Paul

3 hours ago, pwhodges said:

I notice that in the topic listing, the most recent post date no longer shows who the most recent poster was (I think it used to - certainly it's usual in other forums).  Knowing that (especially if it's staff) certainly helps choose prioritise what to read.

Paul

Sorry could not fully understand the matters, kindly post image about the problem, thanks.

"User Posts in Topic", as it been requested, to use it as the image:

It will simply show all the post of the user in that topic, when done, click on "view all posts"

2021-03-18_15-45-58.jpg

2021-03-18_15-48-36.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pwhodges
7 hours ago, Abobader said:

Sorry could not fully understand the matters, kindly post image about the problem, thanks.

It turns out that the name of the last poster is omitted when the browser window isn't so wide - in spite of the fact the there is lots and lots of room to continue displaying it (and the other forum I use that has this software is showing it in the same size window).

Wide layout, with name:wide.jpg

Narrow layout - see how little room there is for having the name in the same place (not)  :

narrow.jpg.6eb82998b8e938a97537397aa8a97d87.jpg

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

I have a request/question...

Normally I use the 'Unread Content' option at the top.. I use both condensed and expanded views...

Is it possible ( and I realize why default function is to go to the first post of the thread ), but is it possible one something has been read by a user to go directly to the 'Unread Replies' or last page. I get this function in Notifications function.. 

Was curious...

The reason I assume for the default function is so that new users who have not read the full thread go to the beginning and start there. I have went through the forum, know how to search and have marked all read.. and wait for new posts... I follow posts I have posted in.. and get notifications for them.

Happy2Play
8 minutes ago, Hxemby001 said:

Normally I use the 'Unread Content' option at the top.. I use both condensed and expanded views...

Is it possible ( and I realize why default function is to go to the first post of the thread ), but is it possible one something has been read by a user to go directly to the 'Unread Replies' or last page. I get this function in Notifications function.. 

Was curious...

The reason I assume for the default function is so that new users who have not read the full thread go to the beginning and start there. I have went through the forum, know how to search and have marked all read.. and wait for new posts... I follow posts I have posted in.. and get notifications for them.

It is about where you click.  Two places take you to first unread where clicking title takes you to the beginning.

po.thumb.jpg.c6a863314f78d3d382a35e80d4680561.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hxemby001 said:

Was curious...

As @Happy2Play said or go to your profile account settings and chose the option you like:

2021-03-19_5-43-03.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

It turns out that the name of the last poster is omitted when the browser window isn't so wide - in spite of the fact the there is lots and lots of room to continue displaying it (and the other forum I use that has this software is showing it in the same size window).

Wide layout, with name:wide.jpg

Narrow layout - see how little room there is for having the name in the same place (not)  :

narrow.jpg.6eb82998b8e938a97537397aa8a97d87.jpg

Paul

Yes I understand, but let me explain why:

It calculates the space on that page you browsing based on the thread longest title (this the most important to show), then the thread pages posts, then the rest in order, so regarding on the "last poster name) here if space allowed, user name and avatar will display, then only the user name, till we reach only the user avatar to save space for the thread title.

Based or the resolutions (size), the responsiveness will display and fit as desktop/tablet/cell, here image for what I mean:

2021-03-19_6-02-35.jpg

8 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Now about post numbering...

That will never happens again unless IPS supported back.

I can add modification to this, but it will not work with any upcoming update from IPS.

Uhm.. dere numbers in da url .. view from Posted X Minutes ago.. Display is more clutter though.. sort of unnecessary but still easy to link too. ( IMO )