Forum update

Abobader

CBers
Just now, ebr said:

An extra space between paragraphs is a long-standing (perhaps original) convention of written communications.  If you don't want a new paragraph (defined by hitting the enter key) then don't create one.  You can just type freeform or use [shift]-enter to create a line break within
a paragraph.

Never had it on the older version of the forums.

Can't do shift+enter on a phone, so everything is a new paragraph. 

Just want the return/enter key to do single line spacing. 

It's the norm these days. 

1 minute ago, CBers said:

Never had it on the older version of the forums.

Can't do shift+enter on a phone, so everything is a new paragraph. 

Just want the return/enter key to do single line spacing. 

We've already had this discussion.  We are sticking with standard conventions of the forum for now.

CBers
1 minute ago, ebr said:

We've already had this discussion.  We are sticking with standard conventions of the forum for now.

OK Dad 🙄

• Haha 1

Gilgamesh_48
26 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, we have. And since it is Emby's forums and you are the boss of Emby you have the perfect right to be as wrong headed as you want to be. It is your forum so you can do as you please. 😜

• Like 1

pwhodges
1 hour ago, PenkethBoy said:

double spacing must be a US thing - never had that in word etc in the UK

How odd.  It's worked this way in Word for me (in the UK) and the users I support for fifteen or twenty years, or more.  Paragraph spacing is, of course, part of a style definition in Word, and I routinely adjust the amount according to the look I want in the document I'm producing.

The difference between return and shift-return also corresponds to how browsers commonly space paragraph (<p>...</p>) elements and the use of <br /> for a simple newline within a paragraph.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it wrong.😀

Yes it does. I am never wrong. Sometimes I am just a little short on being right. 😇👿

Sorry guys I was busy, will try to answer all questions tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Am I missing it, where is the Best Answer option?

Strange, I thought they fixed that bug when updating, normally it disable the "Solved" option, thanks for the head up, I enable it back to all forums.

8 hours ago, pwhodges said:
9 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

double spacing must be a US thing - never had that in word etc in the UK

How odd.  It's worked this way in Word for me (in the UK) and the users I support for fifteen or twenty years, or more.  Paragraph spacing is, of course, part of a style definition in Word, and I routinely adjust the amount according to the look I want in the document I'm producing.

Correct. Since the earliest Word versions, the paragraph spacing has been greater than 1.0x of line spacing without any exceptions based on locale configuration.

This is defined in the Normal.dot document template. Whoever sees a paragraph spacing of 1.0x line spacing (= 0 extra-spacing before and after each paragraph) has either:

• Changed his local Normal.dot
  • Had run a tool that did this
  • Is running Word in a corporate environment where group policies are pointing to a central Normal.dot
  • Is editing a file from elsewhere which is overriding the paragraph style
Edited by softworkz

9 hours ago, CBers said:

I'm afraid, but no.

9 hours ago, ebr said:

An extra space between paragraphs is a long-standing (perhaps original) convention of written communications.

Historically and up until today there are two most-common ways in typesetting to indicate the beginning of a new paragraph:

1. An increased line spacing
    Like what we're talking about here
    => Typically used in shorter texts like articles
  2. First-line indent
    The first line of each paragraph is indented by a few letters in contrast to all subsequent lines of a paragraph
    => Typically used in books or in case of small text columns. In most cases, paragraphs are justified to fill the width, when this is used

Another thing to note is that we don't have a double line spacing here!

image.png.1f9d881628758114c720c693311f96f1.png

Some were saying that they would simply press the return key twice to create a spacing between paragraphs. But in fact, this would look really odd and would really be a waste of screen space.

Edited by softworkz

CBers

I think we'll all have to disagree with each other.

I use Outlook most of my working day and double line spacing isn't used. 

With Word you can change the option to how you want it, without double line spacing, so you know, there is user choice. 

Anyway, enough said, Dad has already said we can't have what we want, so let's move on. 

Lock this thread please @Abobader.

Edited by CBers

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, CBers said:

While the discussion about line spacing after hitting enter has been beaten to death and it has been made quite clear that the, what I believe is correct, functionality of having a single line space after enter will not be returning this thread has a lot more to it than just that small feature and I do not believe it should be locked just because we will not get what we want and are dissatisfied at that result.

I think this thread should remain open for other discussion.

• Like 1

Happy2Play
23 hours ago, Abobader said:
On 11/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, Happy2Play said:

Am I missing it, where is the Best Answer option?

Strange, I thought they fixed that bug when updating, normally it disable the "Solved" option, thanks for the head up, I enable it back to all forums.

Does "Mark as Solution" only apply to the Author?  As I only see the option on Topic I have started.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Does "Mark as Solution" only apply to the Author?  As I only see the option on Topic I have started.

How about now?

• Like 1

Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, Abobader said:

How about now?

Yes now I see have the option "Mark as Solution".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CBers said:

This thread for feedback about the forum update, requests, and if something not work as it should be ... etc.

So I see no reasons to lock it my friend, I will only lock it if we do another update.

I fully understand the issue here, but let us keep it in open mind if things do not go the way we like sometimes.

You doing great as always, keep it up buddy.

• Like 1

Good day,

Sorry my friends, I am still very busy, but all the feedback as example for the dark theme will get fixes this weekend, as will I need to optimize the forum look regarding reduce some spacing and a like.

My best

CBers
19 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

Would anyone happen to know if its possible to change the default view to condensed ?

There's the option under Activity, top right.

image.png.f367033774020692e67d3632543273c2.png

Edited by CBers