New TV Suggestions (Roku TCL?)

Erik

Hello,

I know in the past @speechles you had some recommendations regarding series and sizes (and some had better screens due to who built them)...but I cannot find the thread at all. Also, is the Roku hardware within the TCL TVs the same as the ULTRA set-top-box in terms of capability?

If you, or anyone else have any suggestions it would be much appreciated on what TV (was thinking 55") to get as a replacement for my old Sony Bravia 40".

Thanks!

Erik

From Roku: HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG supported, varies by model. Any models that support DolbyVision should also support Dolby Atmos pass-through with E-AC3.

The 2019 models will start with DolbyVision and HLG support at 65 inches. Make sure you are getting the 2020 models with DolbyVision and HLG support which start at 55 inches. Some places try to sneak 2019 models into their 2020 inventory. Compare model numbers. They will specifically mention HDR10, DolbyVision, and HLG on their boxes when supported. Look for the mention. If buying at Best Buy or similar just walk in with a model number. Do not let them confuse you with Black Friday deals or otherwise. Those Black Friday models may lack DolbyVision support and Atmos to get them to the lower price point. The Black Friday models of televisions are always crippled in some way to get them below the point the price drop incurs. So you get what you pay for. If you find a good deal make sure by model number it is indeed a good deal.

You can always return them if it isn't supported so make sure you also check the return policy on exchanges. Some will only exchange for same exact model. Some will allow exchanges across models with the price difference paid. It depends on the store. Check their return policy and hold them to it.

You will not have better luck online. You want to see the model number in your hand. Then buy that model number. Do not trust online sellers when it comes to a particular model of television.

Q) Is an Roku Ultra the same as an Roku TV?
A) NO. The 2020 Roku Ultra has 2GB of RAM. All 4K Roku TV has is 1GB. This will only matter when you install applications. If you install an SD card into your Roku TV it will be used for both a pause buffer extension when watching OTA television and for storing applications that need to be stored because of the 1GB space restriction. This is why the new 2020 Roku Ultra no longer offers an SD Card slot. It doesn't need to any longer. The only reason the older Roku ultra have an SD Card slot is to extend the internal storage for applications.

Main difference between Roku TV and Roku Ultra:
Roku TV remote has no private listening headphone jack meaning no headphones can be used with the Roku TV remote. You must use the Roku application on Android or iOS and private listen that way.
Roku TV cannot be controlled with voice as the remote does not support voice input. But you can control it with Roku remote application on Android or iOS, Alexa, Google Homekit, etc
Roku TV has no "find my remote" button to use the find my remote feature. Do not lose the remote.
Roku TV remote is IR only. Point it at the TV. Roku Ultra remote is WiFi-Direct and can be aimed anywhere.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @speechles !

Currently have a Roku ultra 4660/4661 so the 1gb is fine for me. I just wanted to make sure all the currently supported formats would remain in the TV version.

Lastly, as I haven’t purchased a TV in a while would you be buying a Roku TCL? Or would you prefer a different brand/type?

Thanks again.

10 minutes ago, Erik said:

Thanks @speechles !

Currently have a Roku ultra 4660/4661 so the 1gb is fine for me. I just wanted to make sure all the currently supported formats would remain in the TV version.

Lastly, as I haven’t purchased a TV in a while would you be buying a Roku TCL? Or would you prefer a different brand/type?

Thanks again.

I prefer TCL because I know they use Samsung panels(TCL bought Samsung factories turnkey) since their merger for LCD divisions. Samsung only produces projection and OLED now. 8K will be too expensive to produce a panel(too narrow an audience when panels cost $50K apiece). Ultra short-throw projection in 8K is the future.

Yes all formats remain the same. In fact you may gain some formats. Since the OTA television must support MPEG. You have MPEG1 and MPEG2 can direct play in MKV. H263 and XVID/DIVX are supported for direct play in MKV. But at the same time the Roku Ultra can support those too. But you are losing nothing by using a Roku TV compared to an Roku Ultra as far as what can play. It might be slightly different because of architecture. The Roku TV can be sometimes laggy(on the UI interfaces) compared directly to a Roku Ultra. I suspect it has to do with Garbage Collection on the Roku TV being different than the Roku Ultra because of shared memory resources. It is just at times it might seem to wait before responding then it is fine for hours. Then might do it again.

Edited by speechles
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting! 

I would love to try out the OLED, but the at double the price...hard to justify vs the QLED (I just want to know why we can’t have the 8 series up here in Canada!)

image.png

Those are the model numbers you want to see. If the Model Number starts with an A or C you have the 2020 version. The A also have 1.5GB not the standard 1GB. The A > C.

Edited by speechles

Wow thanks for that. Do you know if the model number is on the box usually? Or just on the TV itself...

Pre-shopping online it just says the model for example as: TCL 6-Series 65" 4K UHD HDR QLED Roku OS Smart TV (65R635-CA)

The model number is on the box. You can tell before you buy just make sure it isn't a returned item put back on sales floor. Make sure you see a factory seal and clean box. Online is a crap shoot. You may, or may not, get the 2020 model. They can slip in a 2019 and claim oh no it was an innocent mistake. It is always best to put your hand on the box. Buy that box. Buy what you can see when it is a TV. That is the motto.

Good stuff. I will definitely go to the store, just wanted to make sure I’m armed with the right info before the “customer service” tries to intervene!

thanks again.

Hey @speechles

Just setup new TV, up here the model number is just 55R635-CA (which ensures it was a 2020), but no way of seeing on the box if it’s a A/C version. However, once I got it setup the about menu confirms it’s a A model so it worked out perfectly.

Just testing it out now and it’s fantastic, what a difference from my last TV.

Thanks again for the help.

• Like 1