Streaming from Wan stops after 10 secondes playing

Kanabeach44

Kanabeach44

Hi everybody,

I use Emby server on Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. Server is loaded ok.

In local, everything is fine, playing is fast and smooth.

When i play outside my lan, with my phone or others, movies stops each time 10 secondes after starting ... I tried Auto or very less quality, it is the same...

TCP port 8096 is open in my router for Shield and I have indicated domain adress server in the network options menu (mywebserver.fr)

What could be wrong ?!

For Now i have not Emby Premiere, is it because i have not it ?

Thanks

Sorry for my bad translation :)

rbjtech

You'll need to speak to the Emby team on that, but my suggestion is to get a months license and then if it doesn't work out for whatever reason - then you can simply cancel.  

We will of course help you if you do get issues, but it's sounding like you are actually getting remote playback just fine - it is simply cutting you off after a short playback regardless of the bitrate you choose ?  Have you tried with a remote web browser - as that will not have any time related playback restrictions.

Kanabeach44
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

You'll need to speak to the Emby team on that, but my suggestion is to get a months license and then if it doesn't work out for whatever reason - then you can simply cancel.  

We will of course help you if you do get issues, but it's sounding like you are actually getting remote playback just fine - it is simply cutting you off after a short playback regardless of the bitrate you choose ?  Have you tried with a remote web browser - as that will not have any time related playback restrictions.

Thanks I will try !

It is only by wan access (emby app androïd) where that cuts... In local even by web browser it is fine.

Will try too in web browser on wan access !🙂

rbjtech

ok great - so it sounds like you need to either unlock the apps or purchase premier (or continue to use a web browser if you don't need to use any of the Premier features .. 👍)

vdatanet

Maybe it's some kind of ISP throttling.

Is direct playing? Transcoding? Maybe it's transcoding and your server is not powerful enough. Post server and transcoding logs.

Edited by vdatanet

Kanabeach44
48 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Maybe it's some kind of ISP throttling.

Is direct playing? Transcoding? Maybe it's transcoding and your server is not powerful enough. Post server and transcoding logs.

Hi,

My server is on NVIDIA Shield pro 2019.

Direct playing or transcoding it is the same, movie stop each time after few seconds playing...

I have opened TCP http port only.

Should I open TCP https port too ?

Edited by Kanabeach44

Happy2Play

If you change the playback quality to something besides Auto on the client do you have the same issue?

Or have you tested with Transcode throttling disabled?

Edited by Happy2Play

On 11/16/2020 at 3:23 PM, Kanabeach44 said:

In local, everything is fine, playing is fast and smooth.

When i play outside my lan, with my phone or others, movies stops each time 10 secondes after starting ... I tried Auto or very less quality, it is the same...

This sounds like either high latency or poor bandwidth conditions when remote.  What is the upload speed at your server and the download speed at the client?

Kanabeach44
26 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

If you change the playback quality to something besides Auto on the client do you have the same issue?

Or have you tested with Transcode throttling disabled?

I just found a solution but can't explain ...

If i play by wan remote app at 1080p 60mbps it plays good and no cut. In Auto, it cuts

In local i set Auto and fine

How do I Can Transcode throttling disabled ?

🤔

Edited by Kanabeach44

Kanabeach44
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

This sounds like either high latency or poor bandwidth conditions when remote.  What is the upload speed at your server and the download speed at the client?

My NVIDIA Shield is on fiber at 1bGbs dl/600 mbps up

I play with 4g phone or by wifi in remote when I am outside

Just now, Kanabeach44 said:

My NVIDIA Shield is on fiber at 1bGbs dl/600 mbps up

I play with 4g phone or by wifi in remote when I am outside

Right but there still could be ISP throttling on either side of the connection.

Happy2Play

Glad you found a workaround as there are several topics where Auto does this.  I don't really understand how the extremely low bitrate would do this though.

Kanabeach44
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Glad you found a workaround as there are several topics where Auto does this.  I don't really understand how the extremely low bitrate would do this though.

Thanks,

Yes i don't understand why in "Auto mode" under wan mobile remote app, it cuts...

So now in full resolution (180p 60 mbps or 4k 120 mbps) in 4g mobile phone mode it plays fine without cut.

Should in Auto mode plays with internet speed and transcode to low resolution if internet is slow and High resolution if internet is fast ?

:huh:

With Plex for example if i choose "Convert automaticaly" it adapts stream with internet speed. It is not the same with Emby and "Auto mode" ?

Thanks

Edited by Kanabeach44

15 hours ago, Kanabeach44 said:

Yes i don't understand why in "Auto mode" under wan mobile remote app, it cuts...

My guess would be some sort of I/O bottleneck on your server machine when transcoding as it looks like it is transcoding fast enough.

Kanabeach44
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

My guess would be some sort of I/O bottleneck on your server machine when transcoding as it looks like it is transcoding fast enough.

It is not normal, in "Auto mode" it should do automatic and adjust transcoding ? 🤔

If i am in 3g/ 4g / 5g or wifi it should works alone in Auto.

I confirm my set in maximun résolution (4k or 1080p 60 mbps)  works with mobile phone with data mobile, incredible

This is somewhat conjecture but it is really the only explanation I can think of - and makes some sense if you are running the server on an Android device.  Transcoding involves a lot of physical I/O as files are read, written and then re-read.  If the storage access is not fast enough, this can become a bottleneck.  When direct playing, the I/O requirements are much less as the item is just read.

Kanabeach44
5 hours ago, ebr said:

This is somewhat conjecture but it is really the only explanation I can think of - and makes some sense if you are running the server on an Android device.  Transcoding involves a lot of physical I/O as files are read, written and then re-read.  If the storage access is not fast enough, this can become a bottleneck.  When direct playing, the I/O requirements are much less as the item is just read.

Hum i don't understand...

If you make direct play for example on a 1080p or 4 k movie, it makes a lot of datas to send because it is in full quality. Why it is more easy streaming direct play movie than transcode movie ? We should need more bandwidth for direct play and it should be more difficult in 3g or 4g than a transcoded movie who need less datas..

Edited by Kanabeach44