Shield Experience 8.2.1

CBers

Can't help but wonder if 

• Resolves issue where manually enabling AC3 in "Available formats" was not working as advertised

has been the cause of some people's multiple channel audio issues?

CBers
Just now, cayars said:

Can't help but wonder if 

• Resolves issue where manually enabling AC3 in "Available formats" was not working as advertised

has been the cause of some people's multiple channel audio issues?

Didn't fix my issues in the hot fixes I've tested with.

• Sad 1

mark-in-dallas

I got the update yesterday too, and dug around a little in the settings.  The only change that I noticed so far was that I could now make the volume control work with my Onkyo AVR, where it would not in the previous version. 

Edited by mark-in-dallas

mark-in-dallas

After the update I started getting notifications about available storage space being critically low and stating that apps would begin to not work correctly, or something to that effect.  I was using less than 1.6 GB of space and barely had any apps installed, but storage was indicating that 12 GB were in use and that I had less than 300MB available.  I navigated through all directories with FX Explorer and found nothing that should be causing the notification or using up space.  I also added an external storage drive and that didn't eliminate the low storage space warning.

I did find others on the Nvidia forum that had been having the same problems since the 8.2 update and saw that the hotfix did address the issue, but apparently it did not make it into the 8.2.1 update and I ended up having to factory reset, but there were a couple of others that reported that after resetting their Shields that the notifications came back after a couple fo days.

I guess I have to wait to see if the issue returns or not, but if it does I think my next step will be to root the Shield and/or install the 8.2 developer image.  I've been kicking around the idea of rooting it anyway, if for no other reason than to uninstall all of the apps that the Google decided we just had to have and should not be able to uninstall.

UPDATE:  After the factory reset and reinstalling the few apps that I wanted Storage showed to be using 1.6 GB.  When I powered down the Shield before going to bed it showed to be using 1.7 GB, then when I woke up the morning and powered it back up it was up to 2.3 GB.  It doesn't make much sense that while in a powered down state with nothing happening it would pick up another 600 MB, but it has.

UPDATE 2:  Its now 2 days later and storage usage has remained steady at 2.4 GB, and no further storage space low messages, so it appears that the factory reset did fix the issue.

Edited by mark-in-dallas

• 1 month later...
kaledi
On 11/17/2020 at 10:10 PM, mark-in-dallas said:

After the update I started getting notifications about available storage space being critically low and stating that apps would begin to not work correctly, or something to that effect.  I was using less than 1.6 GB of space and barely had any apps installed, but storage was indicating that 12 GB were in use and that I had less than 300MB available.  I navigated through all directories with FX Explorer and found nothing that should be causing the notification or using up space.  I also added an external storage drive and that didn't eliminate the low storage space warning.

I did find others on the Nvidia forum that had been having the same problems since the 8.2 update and saw that the hotfix did address the issue, but apparently it did not make it into the 8.2.1 update and I ended up having to factory reset, but there were a couple of others that reported that after resetting their Shields that the notifications came back after a couple fo days.

I guess I have to wait to see if the issue returns or not, but if it does I think my next step will be to root the Shield and/or install the 8.2 developer image.  I've been kicking around the idea of rooting it anyway, if for no other reason than to uninstall all of the apps that the Google decided we just had to have and should not be able to uninstall.

UPDATE:  After the factory reset and reinstalling the few apps that I wanted Storage showed to be using 1.6 GB.  When I powered down the Shield before going to bed it showed to be using 1.7 GB, then when I woke up the morning and powered it back up it was up to 2.3 GB.  It doesn't make much sense that while in a powered down state with nothing happening it would pick up another 600 MB, but it has.

UPDATE 2:  Its now 2 days later and storage usage has remained steady at 2.4 GB, and no further storage space low messages, so it appears that the factory reset did fix the issue.

I had some issues with storage on one of my shield TV.  Couldn't update apps.  Turned out my USB drive I'd added to the storage pool had failed.  Worth checking if you use one.