E4K 4.1.22 problem with multi versions movies and tv shows

Ruyiop

Hi

I have this problem:

if I have 2 versions of a movie, one in mkv and the other a strm file on multi version if I choose the strm file it do not play.

The strm file alone (not part of a multi version) play just fine.

Thank you 

PS: same behavior applies to tv shows

Edited by Ruyiop

quickmic

Can you please post the exact pathes of both files (filesystem).

Does Emby-Server Webapplication offer you both versions (in a single record)?

Did it ever work in privious versions < 4.1.22?

Edited by quickmic

Hi

thank you

1. just sent you log file on pm

2. yes

3. First time trying this

Thank you

PS: 

on log file I try to play mandalorian as part of multi version and it fail, next I play a episode from lost (not part of multi version) and it play just fine (both are strm files)

Edited by Ruyiop

quickmic

Thanks for the log, I see there is a playback issue but not fully understand what you are trying.

First, are we talking about different versions of the same movie or a multipart movie/tvshow?

Are you using native path or http requests?

Please post the native paths of all involved files like:

E:/Seren/TV/The Mandalorian/Season 1/The Mandalorian S01E01.strm

Edited by quickmic

Hi

Its different versions of same tv show.

I am using addon default playback , not native paths

Paths for file

E:\Seren\TV\The Mandalorian\Season 1\The Mandalorian S01E01.strm

O:\TV Shows\The Mandalorian\Season 1\The Mandalorian - S01E01 - Chapter 1- The Mandalorian WEBDL-2160p.mkv

As you can see the 2 versions show on emby server , also both versions shows on kodi but the strm do not play 

If I only have 1 version and that version is a strm it play just fine

hope you can understand what I mean

Thank you

• Like 1

quickmic

I assume it has nothing todo with the specific issue, but is there a reason why you label:

E:\Seren\TV\The Mandalorian\Season 1\The Mandalorian S01E01.strm

...as ".strm"?

Makes no sense to me, but looks like a source of troubles. Should be mkv or mp4 or whatever.

Edited by quickmic

Strm is just a file with a link to a kodi plugin, I didn’t rename it.

The problem is that this kind of files do not play when part of a multi version, but If they are not part of multi version plays just fine, so something on emby for kodi is the problem I think 

quickmic

Sorry, but please elaborate.

I have a simliar case: My files are:

/mnt/storage1/series/G/Gigolos/S01/S01E08 - Episode 8.mkv

/mnt/storage1/series/G/Gigolos/S01/S01E08 - Professor Brace.mkv

Emby server WebUI shows the labels: "Episode 8" and "Professor Brace"

Both are regular files -> mkv

both are not links, just video files

That's the way it should be, not sure if I can follow -> "Strm is just a file with a link to a kodi plugin,"

Kodi has nothing todo with that (so far). Can you play both files on emby server webui?

Edited by quickmic

Hi

ok never mind. Sorry for taking your time.

I don’t know what else can I say . I see that you are not familiar with strm files, so I don’t want to make you lost your time with this.

thank you again

PS: maybe if you speak with @luke he can help.

i am sure @angelblue can help on this , but I think she’s not available anymore.

Edited by Ruyiop
  • Like 1

horstepipe

I can’t help for this specific case,  because I’m using strm files only. But when I have trouble about these I’m providing a sample strm file pointing to a public file. So @quickmic just add this Link into a text file and Name it 

“whatever - remote.strm”

https://filesamples.com/samples/video/mp4/sample_1280x720.mp4

put a “real” video file into the same folder and name it

“whatever - local.ext”

then you should have the same setup.

edit: ah and the folder where the files are being stored has to be called “whatever” so Emby can recognize this as a multi version movie.

Edited by horstepipe
  • Like 1

horstepipe

@quickmic lots of Kodi people use this method to point e.g. to the Netflix addon by putting 

plugin://plugin.video.netflix/... into the strm files. Or for any other remote content...

• Like 1

quickmic

Ok, I'll check how strm files approach is working. Actually, yes I never used that approach.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic

Depends, if Kodi can handle them natively. Alpha just forward files to Kodi without manipulation. -> Investigating....

• Like 1

Hello

i have a similar setup, and can reproduce this problem. 
strm files that link to kodi plugins only play if they are not part of multi version. When in multi version (with mkv or mp4 for ex.) only the real file plays and strm just throws error “Playlist: can’t find a next item to play”

quickmic

I'll check it, thanks and sorry.

I was not aware of the strm file functionality. As mentioned, I never used it before, now it's clear.

TeamB

You should talk to Luke about this, STRM files are handled in a special way on the server, if they link to an external source vs if they are local files, also the first time a STRM file is accessed using the /PlaybackInfo endpoint the server does some magic to extract some info about the destination file. This is because when STRM files are first scanned into the server the destination file is not scanned or parsed as this would slow the media import to much.

You can test this by adding some test STRM file to your system that point to local and remote files for testing, just keep in mind that when they are first imported they and not fully populated with info about the media i.e. a media scan until they are played.

• Like 1