[Solved] Subtitles Not Available on AppleTV for one (or two) series

plaidstallion

plaidstallion

image.png.bc982fcce955d0d9ea8beaf29a18d491.png

This is the second movie/series that I have come across that the Emby AppleTV app (using Apple TV 4) seems to forget that subtitles exist. For all the eight episodes in this series, before starting the video, I am able to make a election for subtitles based on *.srt files sitting in the folder alongside the videos. When I make the selection and start the video there are no subtitles playing and when I go into the settings, while the video is playing, there is no tab for subtitle selection. The subtitle selection for this series works fine on Android and in Chrome from a Windows PC and to date I have only had this problem with one other item. Again this is only when playing on my AppleTV4.

If it matters I am running Emby from the official emby/embyserver:latest container in Docker which is showing v4.5.2.0 as of posting. It definitely seems to be more of an issue with the AppleTV app though which is listed at v1.4.9 (0) en-us

Any ideas here?

Edited by plaidstallion

vdatanet
51 minutes ago, plaidstallion said:

Any ideas here?

Can you try using MPV player? Native player can't display languages and subtitles available while direct streaming or transcoding.

plaidstallion
9 minutes ago, vdatanet said:

Can you try using MPV player? Native player can't display languages and subtitles available while direct streaming or transcoding.

Yeah that worked! I have never seen or heard of that option before. Is there a downside to having it enabled if I just leave it that way with MPV? Is there a reason that almost all videos will display subtitles whether they are embedded in the video, external sub/idx or srt and not for this series and the other I mentioned? I converted these series in handbrake with a pre-setting I don't usually use (General > HQ 480p 30 Surround) but I have no idea what setting in that template specifically would make it so the .srt subtitles wouldn't display along with the video.

vdatanet

The MPV player supports direct playback of many more formats than the native player, it is even capable of tone-mapping HDR content. For me the only drawback of the MPV player is that it does not play correctly 29.97 fps interlaced content (NTSC).

plaidstallion

Hmm ok so for the video format layman like me, I guess I will leave MPV enabled and keep in mind that if something is not playing correctly in the future I should just go in and disable it for a bit?

vdatanet
2 minutes ago, plaidstallion said:

Hmm ok so for the video format layman like me, I guess I will leave MPV enabled and keep in mind that if something is not playing correctly in the future I should just go in and disable it for a bit?

Yes, use the player that best fits your media. Keep in mind that for the change of player to be effective, the application must be restarted.

plaidstallion
10 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Yes, use the player that best fits your media. Keep in mind that for the change of player to be effective, the application must be restarted.

Ok. I wish I knew why this particular series of videos wouldn't play but h well. Thanks again for the help.