Need advice setting up m3u

gillmacca01

gillmacca01

Looking for advice on setting up my m3u in live tv.

My iptv provider supplies 3500 channels, plus VOD and in each stream in the m3u contains my username and password. They also supply a 7-day epg.

Obviously I don't need all these channels, so looking for the best was to reduce this (or import all).

I have tried xteve, and although it does generate a new m3u, I cannot play anything, because it has removed the username/password from each stream (anyone know how to keep it in the file?)

The only other way I can think of doing this, is manually removing the channels I do not want, but if I do this, I will not know of any new channels or channels removed, without manually downloading regularly the original m3u and comparing. Also the provider, may change the links, but I think mine are static.

i have tried added the original m3u file to Emby, which loads in quite quickly, but then when I import the guide, the 'refresh guide' task still hasn't completed it after 48 hrs. It is importing as I can see entries in the guide, but I can understand why it would take an awful long time (excluding VOD, 3500x24 hrs a day x 7 days)

Maybe this will be improved in the next version of Live TV, but that could be a while before available, so looking for a solution now

Hi xTeVe doesn't really remove your username/password but instead gives you a completely different URL.  What it does is redirect the player/Emby to go through xTeve.  In this way you can turn on buffereing or turn this off or make adjustments and do not need to reload anything in Emby or your player of choice.

If things are working when going through xTeVe is likely an option or something that needs changing in xTeVe.  A good way to test to this out is load up the m3u file generated by xTeVe in VLC or other player and see if it works there or not.

Until the new version of Live TV (still in dev) is released which will have awesome channel management xTeVe is still the best way to manage your channels.  That or take the time to hand pick only the channels you want and create your own m3u file to use with Emby.  Depending on the number of channels you want this is a good way to go but takes time to build it yourself.

You could try an m3u editor or even an online version such as https://m3u-editor.com/  Feed it a "bogus" file with the wrong username/password so no one can steal your info.  After you get back the curated list search replace the username and password changing them back to your real account info.

gillmacca01

Just a quick update. xteve is working now. 

I wasn't aware that the url created by xteve, actually talked back to xteve. When I initially set it up, my server was at home, and I was away from home, and had xteve setup on a laptop (obliviously server couldn't connect with xteve) 

• Like 1