Ryzen 3 3400g for htpc

dredd1963

dredd1963

Hi all

Am thinking of upgrading my htpc to include a ryzen 3 3400g cpu, am wondering if anyone out there as done the Same. 

What I would like to known is this capable of good quality playback without the  use of a gpu. My current system is using a phenom quad cpu and a nvidia 710 card, which seems to perform really well.

Any advice what gratefully received 

Gilgamesh_48
9 hours ago, Luke said:

@Gilgamesh_48 may have some tips.

I cannot be much help because I do not often use my server or any other computer for playback. I use clients for all playback like Roku, Fire stick, Shield TV and a few others from time to time. I have a computer set up as an HTPC but I very rarely use it because I find its interface to be clumsy at best and I see zero picture improvements when I do use it.

The only thing I would say is that if your current system "seems to perform really well" why upgrade it? What improvement(s) are you looking for?

Sorry for my lack of good suggestions.

clarkss12

I have this miniPC connected to my 65" Samsung TV going through my Yamaha AVR, and the playback is fantastic........ But, as Gilgamesh_48 says, I prefer using my Android devices for play back.  This miniPC passes through all the HD audio codecs and plays all the video codecs that I have encountered...........

Beelink GT-R Mini PC Windows 10 Pro,AMD Ryzen 5 3550H Processor(up to 3.7 GHz) 8GB DDR4 256GB NVMe SSD+1TB HDD,Radeon Vega 8 Graphics,WiFi 6,Bluetooth 5.0,Dual Gigabit Ethernet,Gaming PC

http://www.bee-link.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=141

• Like 1

dredd1963

@Gilgamesh_48, the motherboard which is an old geforce board unfortunately has issues with the co-processor, was using it with my server and it became a nightmare regarding the transfer of film over my network.

With Microsoft stopping support with some cpu's I would rather replace it as I've come into some money. 

craigdabbs

im also looking into a AMD APU to replace my current server, still haven't decided between the micro PC's from HP, Dell or Lenovo or a mini PC from aliexpress like beelink.  Im looking to utilise the integrated gpu for transcoding.  

Anyone got this working with emby?

Craig

Update:

I passed through my rx480 to my vm to try amd transcoding, it seems to wok ok on VAAPI. 

Some weird stability issues when doing multiple transcoding streams especially hevc4k, this might be down to the VM or just AMD.

Attached some screenshots of different conversions all to 720p 1.5mbs

Would this configuration be the same for a integrated GPU?

hevc1080p-transcode.png

hevc4k-transcode.png

h264-transcode.png

Edited by craigdabbs

4 hours ago, craigdabbs said:

im also looking into a AMD APU to replace my current server, still haven't decided between the micro PC's from HP, Dell or Lenovo or a mini PC from aliexpress like beelink.  Im looking to utilise the integrated gpu for transcoding.  

Anyone got this working with emby?

Craig

Update:

I passed through my rx480 to my vm to try amd transcoding, it seems to wok ok on VAAPI. 

Some weird stability issues when doing multiple transcoding streams especially hevc4k, this might be down to the VM or just AMD.

Attached some screenshots of different conversions all to 720p 1.5mbs

Would this configuration be the same for a integrated GPU?

hevc1080p-transcode.png

hevc4k-transcode.png

h264-transcode.png

Hi, what exactly are you asking?

craigdabbs

I'm asking if the configuration would be the same for a APU gpu as it was for this dedicated Gpu.  

Don't want to get a Ryzen Apu if I'm going to have issues.  

Thanks.

Edited by craigdabbs

We'd really have to look at an example of the issue that you're having in order to provide further insight. Please see how to report a media playback issue:

Thanks !