Crash when returning from music to Home in Sony TV app

tuts

HI there, I have only started using Emby in the last few week and must say i am impressed. I only use it to listen to my music collection.

I installed the Emby client from Google Play Store onto my Sony TV.

I have noticed that the app crashes whenever i do the following:

If i play music from a song list or album, and then whilst still playing the music, go back (using the back button on the tv remote), i can go back as far as the album selection page and select a different album or artist or playlist and select another song to add to queue or just play outright, but if was to go back, back and back all the way to Home, the song stutters for a second or two then plays for a second and then the app crashes completely.

This is only an issue with the TV app. On my mobile android phone or desktop pc (chrome web app) i can do the above and go all the way back to Home and select another Media and play music from there without the app crashing on those devices.

Any help would be appreciated.

tuts

Okay, that was just a hunch but I don't think it matters anyway.  I cannot reproduce this so it must be related to either specific items or setup somehow.

Can anyone else create this crash?

tuts - can you turn on the "Debug options" in the app general settings and then create this crash.  Then immediately restart the app and send a log?

Ok just done this and clicked "send log" whilst in the TV app. I was logged in as "tuts".

With me being new to this, is what I have done correct?

If you play something directly from the home screen, and then just go back once from there, does the problem still occur?

Yes. From Home screen, clicked on latest music, pressed play waited a few seconds and then pressed back. Went back to home ( none of the pictures on home screen loaded) "Loading....." in the bottom corner and then crashed (this time music played a lot longer before crashing - about 39 seconds)

Can you tell us more details about the kind of music and the metadata associated with it?  Maybe that will jog me into a clue as to what could be happening here.

Thanks.

Kind of music?

How do I find out the metadata.?

All I know is that it is MP3 files arranged in artist/ album/ song format, about 200 albums that's all

Not sure whether this is what you are after but i googled it and used ffprobe for one of the typical tracks:

$ ffprobe "/mnt/external/audio/Visage - The Best Of Visage (collectors edition)/04. tar.mp3"
ffprobe version 4.2.4-1ubuntu0.1 Copyright (c) 2007-2020 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 9 (Ubuntu 9.3.0-10ubuntu2)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --extra-version=1ubuntu0.1 --toolchain=hardened --libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --incdir=/usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu --arch=amd64 --enable-gpl --disable-stripping --enable-avresample --disable-filter=resample --enable-avisynth --enable-gnutls --enable-ladspa --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libbs2b --enable-libcaca --enable-libcdio --enable-libcodec2 --enable-libflite --enable-libfontconfig --enable-libfreetype --enable-libfribidi --enable-libgme --enable-libgsm --enable-libjack --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libmysofa --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-libopenmpt --enable-libopus --enable-libpulse --enable-librsvg --enable-librubberband --enable-libshine --enable-libsnappy --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libssh --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavpack --enable-libwebp --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libxvid --enable-libzmq --enable-libzvbi --enable-lv2 --enable-omx --enable-openal --enable-opencl --enable-opengl --enable-sdl2 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libdrm --enable-libiec61883 --enable-nvenc --enable-chromaprint --enable-frei0r --enable-libx264 --enable-shared
  libavutil      56. 31.100 / 56. 31.100
  libavcodec     58. 54.100 / 58. 54.100
  libavformat    58. 29.100 / 58. 29.100
  libavdevice    58.  8.100 / 58.  8.100
  libavfilter     7. 57.100 /  7. 57.100
  libavresample   4.  0.  0 /  4.  0.  0
  libswscale      5.  5.100 /  5.  5.100
  libswresample   3.  5.100 /  3.  5.100
  libpostproc    55.  5.100 / 55.  5.100
[mp3 @ 0x55a75f924e40] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #0, mp3, from '/mnt/external/audio/Visage - The Best Of Visage (collectors edition)/04. tar.mp3':
  Metadata:
    album           : The Best Of Visage (Collectors Edition)
    artist          : Visage
    album_artist    : Visage
    CDDB Disc ID    : D812030F
    encoder         : Audiograbber 1.80, LAME dll 3.93, 128 Kbit/s, Joint Stereo, Normal quality
    genre           : Pop
    title           : Tar
    track           : 4/15
  Duration: 00:03:33.09, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 152 kb/s
    Stream #0:0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, fltp, 128 kb/s
    Stream #0:1: Video: mjpeg (Baseline), yuvj420p(pc, bt470bg/unknown/unknown), 1247x1248 [SAR 266:266 DAR 1247:1248], 90k tbr, 90k tbn, 90k tbc (attached pic)
    Metadata:
      comment         : Cover (front)

Hope this helps

• 4 months later...
PeteGaskell

Hi

What happened as a solution to this?I am experiencing the same thing.

If go back to the home screen whilst music is playing everything freezes then crashes. I’m playing .flac files.

If I stop music I can go back to the home screen no problem.

Also when I stop playing a file I am not getting a continue option on the home screen like I do with movies.

nvidia shield, running latest app and server as of 1st April.

Edited by PeteGaskell
Extra info

50 minutes ago, PeteGaskell said:

Hi

What happened as a solution to this?I am experiencing the same thing.

If go back to the home screen whilst music is playing everything freezes then crashes. I’m playing .flac files.

If I stop music I can go back to the home screen no problem.

Also when I stop playing a file I am not getting a continue option on the home screen like I do with movies.

nvidia shield, running latest app and server as of 1st April.

Hi.  We have not been able to determine what the issues is yet.  Can you cause the problem and then immediately send a log from the app?

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, PeteGaskell said:

Sent at 15:12 est

user is Pete 

so as it crashes I sent as soon as I was logged in. 

Thanks.  Same exact thing as the other user but I have no idea how it is occurring or how to reproduce it.  Still trying...

Can you try with the latest beta just in case it is different?

PeteGaskell

Will do. 

Also, i dont know if it will help...It also happens with podcasts. (http://rss.acast.com/adambuxton)

I was wondering if there's some conflict on the shield causing this. Button Mapper for instance causes iplayer to freeze and crash. I'm also running ATV launcher.

Edited by PeteGaskell

PeteGaskell

Beta version doesn't help im afraid. I'll have to cancel until this is worked out

Edited by PeteGaskell

20 hours ago, PeteGaskell said:

Button Mapper for instance causes iplayer to freeze and crash. I'm also running ATV launcher.

Would certainly be worth disabling or uninstalling those to test...