High CPU Usage

dv1r

Hello, 

I tried playing a 4K video on a browser and Emby started transcoding. 

My system is not very powerful and quickly started using up all available processing power.

I stopped the stream but the CPU was still getting overloaded. 

I tried to stop Emby but the CPU was still at 95+%.

2110913225_2020-11-1202_36_14-Window.thumb.png.900e4ece6da875c45029e362c8e3d435.png

The only way I could get it to stop was to SSH into the machine and kill the processes manually. 

If this would happen while I am out of the house, the CPU would be toast by the time I got back 😕 

Hi there, transcoding will require significant resources on your server machine. Were you not expecting this?

I am not suppressed by the CPU usage while transcoding. 

What suppressed me was that the transcoding was still going after I had stopped the stream and even when I stopped the server from the DSM.

You can see this from the image in the original post. 

ok, I tried to shutdown emby via the emby dashboard. 

Emby is no longer available but the process is still running 

see attached image 

2020-11-22 17_29_24-Window.png

I think you shut it down in the middle of something streaming, notice the ffmpeg process. Try stopping both that and the emby server process, or reboot the nas.

No, 

Nothing was streaming. 

I was streaming something and stopped it.

The issue is that the transcoding continues after stopping the stream without completing the movie. 

I tried stopping the process in many different ways but nothing worked. The ffmpeg would not stop working.

Only SSHing into the system and killing the process manually did the trick. 

Pardon me if I seem rude, but rebooting the NAS for such an issue is not a solution and I am a little surprised by the proposal.

Right, it's not something you want to do on a regular basis, but if this is something that is a one-off thing then sometimes it's a practical answer.

Nothing was streaming. 

I understand, but there is an ffmpeg process there, and streaming is what it is primarily used for (some other things as well).

Yes, For rare things it is a practical solution.

I started this thread after trying to deal with this a few times.

Its not super common but far from one-off. 

13 minutes ago, Luke said:

I understand, but there is an ffmpeg process there, and streaming is what it is primarily used for (some other things as well).

Is it possible that something will stream and the dashboard will not show it? 

Before shutting down emby from the dashboard, I looked to see if there was any activity. I could not see anything active.