Samsung playback issues after Win7 to Win10 Emby server upgrade

bubba_nuts

bubba_nuts

Not sure if this belongs in the server section or the Samsung section, but posting here since the problem is on the app side.

Emby Server Windows 4.5.2
i5-6600K CPU
16GB Memory
SSD for Boot/Emby, HDD RAID for Media
1Gb LAN connection

I've had this hardware setup on my media center PC for the last 3 years and it has been rock-solid for Emby.  Last month, I finally got around to upgrading from Win7 to Win10.  (I had been trying to eek out as much life for WMC+Ceton as I could, but now that I switched to a network tuner and Emby for TV, there's nothing holding me back.)  I did a clean Win10 install (20H2 and fully updated) on a new SSD and copied the entire Emby server folder from the old one.  Everything seemed to work exactly as before, but then I started noticing playback problems on my Samsung TVs.  (No issues on Emby Web or Android/IOS apps though.)

I have two Samsung UN65KU6290 TVs (Firmware 1242) running 1.0.83 of the Emby app.  They are hardwired into my home network, as is the Emby server.  Movies or TV episodes will play normally for 2-3 minutes, then hang while the Emby app spins for a few seconds, and then playback will resume.  This will continue to happen every 2-3 minutes if I let it keep playing.  Prior to the Win7 -> Win10 upgrade, I'd only seen this occur with really huge media files (10GB+ movies).  But the files I'm trying to play now are pretty tame. (2GB for a movie or 500GB-1GB for a TV episode)

I haven't seen any CPU/Mem/Disk spikes on the server when this issue is happening.  I attached my Emby server log and the media info of a sample file.

Is Emby doing anything different as a result of being on a different operating system?  I booted back into my Win7 installation just to make sure I wasn't crazy and sure enough the problem went away.  Help?

embyserver.txt

medai_info.png

Edited by bubba_nuts

bubba_nuts

Very strange indeed!

Yes, the Win10 installation is up-to-date.  I just did the 2020-11 Cumulative Update before testing one more time (with the media file above) and posting this thread.

bubba_nuts

For fun, I tried 4.4.3.0 and 4.3.1.0, but the issue occurred with both.

Does Emby do anything different under WIn10 vs Win7?  Or are there any Win10 specific settings that might affect this?

bubba_nuts

Here's a couple more example files that hang after 2-4 minutes of playback.  I sought out files that were smaller and had a lower bitrate, but they have the same issue.  Log file is attached in case that is helpful.  The "Playback stopped" log entries were when I backed out after the hanging/spinning issue occurred.  There doesn't appear to be anything logged when the issue happens.

neverbeast.jpg

tinkerbell.jpg

embyserver.txt

• 3 weeks later...
bubba_nuts

I tried 4.6.0.6 and 4.6.0.7, but neither fixed the problem.  Is that the version we were hoping for?  Or something else coming later?

• 2 weeks later...
bubba_nuts

Yes, this issue is still occurring.  Is there anything else I can do on my end to narrow down the problem?

Edited by bubba_nuts

bubba_nuts

With 4.6.0.9 it didn't seem like anything changed, but I just tried 4.6.0.10 and my test videos seem to play for longer before they hang:

5mins instead of 3mins, 3 mins instead of 2mins, etc

FWIW, I'm up to 1.0.86 of the Samsung app these days.

Edited by bubba_nuts

SamES

Can you confirm that the items are playing using DirectPlay (not DirectStream or Transcode)?

Are you running any antivirus or firewall on the server?  If so, what happens if you disable them temporarily?

Is the RAID volume performing correctly?  Can you make a library on the SSD and and copy a few items on it and try playing those?

• 4 weeks later...
bubba_nuts

All of these files are DirectPlay.

No AV on the Emby server except Windows Defender, which I tried disabling to no effect.  Just running stock Windows Firewall also.

Also tried putting one of these files on the SSD and it promptly bombed out at 3 mins.

My server is up to version 4.6.0.22, but this (and the last few minor versions) haven't had any positive effect.

You could try uninstalling the client from the tv, then pull the power from the tv for a few minutes then reinstall the latest version. 

If that doesn’t work, then based on what you’ve told us so far it really just sounds like a network issue. For DirectPlay, the server really doesn’t do anything other than provide a URL for playback. As long as the disk can serve the files quick enough and the network can pass them in then there shouldn’t be any issues. 

The only other thing would be if you had a plug-in on the server that was causing an issue. 

Do you have an old laptop or spare PC that you could set up as another server?  Do a basic setup, no plugins and a simple library with a few movies. It would be interesting to see if that still causes you issues.   

I’m not aware of anyone else reporting a similar issue, so I expect it is something related to your setup, we just need to try and work out what by eliminating possible causes. 

bubba_nuts

I did a factory reset on one of the TVs and have gone though a bunch of versions on the Samsung Emby app.  The thing is I have two of these sets and the behavior is identical on both.

Networking on the Emby server was something I originally considered, but its the same hardware between Win7 and Win10.  I'm getting ~120MB/s (max for 1Gb) transfer, sub millisecond pings, and no drops with both Win7 and Win10, so skeptical that its a Win10 driver issue.

I'll throw an Emby server on another PC and see what happens.

• 1 month later...
bubba_nuts

Okay, finally got around to installing Emby (4.6.0.32) on another machine.

• i7-8086K
  • 32GB RAM
  • NVMe SSD
  • Win10 20H2
  • Gigabit Ethernet

Unfortunately, my test videos still hang after 3-4 mins again when direct-playing to either of my TVs.  Log file attached if that's helpful.

embyserver-63751694080.txt

Edited by bubba_nuts

SamES

So what does your network topology look like?  Is it simple like server->wired->router->wired->TV ?  Any other switches between these? Do both TV's have this problem?

Otherwise, it sounds like a fairly typical setup, nothing unusual.  If you reboot the router does it still have the same issue?  Can you test with just the server and one TV connected to the router and nothing else?

bubba_nuts

Both of these PCs and both TVs are connected to a gigabit switch.  My router is also connected to this switch, but its not part of the traffic path for this scenario.

I'm not experiencing any network related symptoms (no dropped packets, no latency, and high transfer rate between computers), but I've power cycled the switch a handful of times just in case.

Please understand that this same network, server, and TV setup works perfectly fine when the server is running Win7.  Simply rebooting into Win10 on the same hardware and the issue reoccurs.

One additional observation as this issue has gone on...  When this problem occurs, it always seems to be with H264 content.  X265 videos on Win10 usually seem to work.  I can try to gather more examples if this is helpful.

• Win7 + H264 = Fine
  • Win7 + X265 = Fine
  • Win10 + H264 = Hangs
  • Win10 + X265 = Fine
Edited by bubba_nuts

SamES
12 hours ago, bubba_nuts said:

One additional observation as this issue has gone on...  When this problem occurs, it always seems to be with H264 content.  X265 videos on Win10 usually seem to work.  I can try to gather more examples if this is helpful.

• Win7 + H264 = Fine
  • Win7 + X265 = Fine
  • Win10 + H264 = Hangs
  • Win10 + X265 = Fine

That's good information, it at least confirms that some things work fine, on the hand, it makes it more mysterious that x264 content doesn't work.

Are you testing these without any subtitles?  And are the x264 always using DirectPlay?

I really can't think of any reason why this isn't working correctly.