Emby Misidentifies TV Show Recording of COBRA (2020)

saj

Hi,

I record quite a few TV shows from my antenna using Emby. I record one show that keeps being identified incorrectly by Emby.The show I am recording is listed in TheTVDB as COBRA (2020). No matter what I do, new recordings are identified as the 1993 Cobra Series. I have a proper directory and metadata entry set up for the correct show. I have tried several combinations of name formats in the directory name and metadata show title. I have used identify on the recordings to see how the metadata changes when I identify it as the 2020 show and then left that intact for the next recording. Nothing works. Every time a new episode records a directory and new metadata entry are created for the 1993 show. When I do the identify function, Emby will combine the new episode into the proper series entry. Of course, it doesn't combine the recorded file into the proper series directory. I have to move that manually.

There is another odd thing about how this fails. When I look at scheduled recordings in Emby for an upcoming episode, the show has the proper image for the 2020 show. Likewise, even though the show is identified when recorded as the 1993 show, the 2020 image is associated with it. That is strange.

I am out of ideas and out of new episodes to record until next season. I don't know if it has to do with the different capitalization of the show titles or what. The guide listing always shows it as Cobra instead of COBRA, but I don't see any metadata associated with the scheduled series entries that I can update. Can you offer any guidance on how I might remedy this or point me to a detailed description of  how recorded shows are identified by default.

I would be grateful. I have been working on this for weeks, hoping I could solve it; but I'm stuck.

Thanks very much

MediaMogal

I had no issue with CONRA (2020). My library setup is as below:

/mnt/Television/TV Series/COBRA (2020)/COBRA Season 1/COBRA (2020) S01E01 Episode 1.mkv, etc....

Now that said you may simply have something else that is interfering with it. I do remember fighting this one but I honestly don't remember which series I had to remove, fix COBRA, and then add the other series back. I can give you a good example though. The war of the Worlds and War Of The Worlds. The War Of The Worlds must be added first so it can be corrected cause when added to Emby it becomes War Of The Worlds. Then once it's correctly identified War Of The Worlds can be added and it will automatically be correctly identified. If both are placed in the library at the same time one will not show up cause Emby is trying to name both War Of The Worlds. Hope this helps.

Thanks MediaMogul for your response. Is your directory name for the season really COBRA Season 1? All my season directories are just Season n. Other than that, my structure is exactly analogous to yours. I had the first five episodes in it, and when the sixth recorded, it built a new directory for the 1993 series and created new metadata for it. I had cleaned all that up before it recorded and have done that several times. It always starts over with the new episode. If naming the season that way makes a difference, I'll try it.

MediaMogal

Yes season folder is COBRA Season 1, etc.... I did all my season folders like that before I knew certain shows don't like anything but Season 1, etc... I changed the ones that had issues to just Season 1, etc... because of advice from here., and left the rest as they were. 

OK, so mine is in the proper format. I doubt that change would solve my problem. So, is it your impression that the directory naming is key to Emby placing a new episode properly or does it depend on metadata matching? Or both?

I was looking at the nfo files for the seasons. Something that seems a little different is that for both the 1993 version and the 2020 version the season 1 nfo file contains a tvdbid entry with a value of14662. Is that just a general season 1 identifier? I looked at recent new season recordings for other series, and their new season nfo's don't contain a tvdbid entry at all.

MediaMogal
1 hour ago, saj said:

OK, so mine is in the proper format. I doubt that change would solve my problem. So, is it your impression that the directory naming is key to Emby placing a new episode properly or does it depend on metadata matching? Or both?

I honestly do not know about the metadata. I avoid it like the plague. I do know most shows in Emby or Plex do not care if you use say COBRA Season 1 or just Season 1. I've only run across a few where it must only be Season 1. As for Emby placing a episode correctly once I've renamed it, viewed it, and dropped it in it's season folder it's always been picked up correctly as long as there are already other episodes in the folder.  Now the one difference I do most likely have over you is I use Rename My TV series and have it set to make the metadata title the same as the file name. I also do not use the nfo files, it's off.  as for tvdbid of 4662 I'm not finding anything about it on TheTVDB.

Hi Luke

Mine is named TV Antenna Recordings\COBRA (2020)

That is my most recent attempt. I have also tried it without the "(2020)" and in lower case (though I know case doesn't matter in Windows), with the same result.

In all cases, when the new episode is recorded, a new folder is created with the name TV Antenna Recordings\Cobra (1993), and the new episode is placed there. It also creates a new recordings metadata item for the 1993 show, but very oddly with the 2020 primary image.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I just saw you had weighed in.

Thanks

MediaMogal
14 hours ago, Luke said:

Either of you if you're still having an issue. Thanks.

My end is fine. Thanks for asking though. Here's mt structure.

/mnt/Television/TV Series/COBRA (2020)/COBRA Season 1/COBRA (2020) S01E01 Episode 1.mkv, etc....

Edited by MediaMogal

22 hours ago, saj said:

Hi Luke

Mine is named TV Antenna Recordings\COBRA (2020)

That is my most recent attempt. I have also tried it without the "(2020)" and in lower case (though I know case doesn't matter in Windows), with the same result.

In all cases, when the new episode is recorded, a new folder is created with the name TV Antenna Recordings\Cobra (1993), and the new episode is placed there. It also creates a new recordings metadata item for the 1993 show, but very oddly with the 2020 primary image.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I just saw you had weighed in.

Thanks

Please attach the emby server log from the time of the recording. Thanks.

MediaMogal

I just went bsck throught @saj I don't see a file example from you.  Are you naming your episodes with the year after the name, like below?

COBRA (2020) S01E01 Episode 1.mkv

3 hours ago, saj said:

Hi Luke,

I believe the attached contains the pertinent log file data around the time the latest episode of the show was recorded. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you

COBRA Episode 6 Recording Log.txt 10.67 kB · 1 download

Hi, please attach the complete emby server log. Thanks.

MediaMogal
12 hours ago, saj said:

No, my episode names just look like:

Cobra S01E06.mkv

Then I suggest that you correct that. I say correct it cause you will run across show that will play with you if you don't have the date in the file name.

Well, I appreciate your input, but I haven't seen any evidence of that before. I record over 25 different shows with Emby and have for quite some time without a single problem other than this one. If it can possibly be an issue, I would appreciate Luke explaining why.

Thanks

MediaMogal

OK first the attitude was unnecessary when someone just trying to help you sort the issue. Below  are examples of why I include the year the show first aired.

Dynasty 1980 vs Dynasty 2017

Charmed 1998 vs Charmed 2018

Eyewitness 2014 vs Eyewitness 2016

Dracula 2013 vs Dracula 2020

Excuse me? I'm sorry, but I wasn't trying to express any attitude. That's not me at all. I simply like to understand how and why things work or don't. I'm not questioning your knowledge or experience. I was just describing mine. I think it would be very helpful if Luke could describe exactly how the identification process works for TV recordings. What does the code check regarding what series files exist, etc. If I somehow offended you, I apologize. It's just that before I change something that has been working fine for a long time, I would like to know why I am doing it. And I do appreciate anyone taking the time and making the effort to try to help. Thank you.

Obviously, there are many show titles that have been reused through the years. The question is whether it matters to emby if the episode title contains the year for matching purposes. I would have thought it would carry the year from the series throughout when it is making those decisions. Also, if it is important to that process to include the episode year, why isn't it the emby default to place the year there? I just want to understand the logic.

MediaMogal
20 hours ago, saj said:

I would have thought it would carry the year from the series throughout when it is making those decisions

One would think so, but not always the case for whatever reason.