Complete Uninstall of Emby from 920+ Synology

xccxxx

I had a problem last night with trying to uninstall Emby from a new 920+ Synology NAS.

I initially installed Emby via manual install using package manager and all was initially working well.

I then tried to restore my settings from my current Emby windows install (using the backup and restore plugin), but it failed on the new NAS install and I could no longer get the web interface up and running.

I then uninstalled the package within package manager on the Synology as I wanted to start fresh, but upon reinstall of the package I still could not get the Emby web interface to run again.

I did see a post here from 2015 with someone who was trying to do a complete uninstall by deleting certain folders by SSH'ing into the NAS

but this didn't fix the problem either (the folder structure also now looks a little different). Upon reinstall of the package it still would not work and I couldnt even get the package to run anymore, let alone getting the web interface to load.

In the end I did a complete reset of my NAS via the reset button on the back and reinstalled the DSM operating system to completely make sure all traces of Emby were uninstalled. After this all worked fine.

It was a reasonably new setup so I wasn't that worried, but I would really like to know how to do a CLEAN and COMPLETE uninstall of Emby in the future, as doing it via package manager does not work properly, and having to completely reinstall the OS is obviously not ideal.

If anyone can advise I'd appreciate it, thanks

Edited by xccxxx

Hi @xccxxx

Uninstalling the package keeps the programdata, this is the case for most NAS devices except a select few where this is difficult to do. For a complete uninstallation on Synology, you just need to delete the Emby shared folder from Synology's web ui, reinstalling the package after that will recreate the share and allow them to start fresh.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Happy2Play

As for Server Configuration Backup plugin I would only restore Users/Userdata as library paths will be a issue (and possibly other things) on a cross platform restore.

• 8 months later...
mamamia21
On 11/14/2020 at 9:57 PM, Luke said:

Hi @xccxxx

Uninstalling the package keeps the programdata, this is the case for most NAS devices except a select few where this is difficult to do. For a complete uninstallation on Synology, you just need to delete the Emby shared folder from Synology's web ui, reinstalling the package after that will recreate the share and allow them to start fresh.

for sorry that doesn't work and I restart the Nas also not RUN, I uninstalled again and removed the folder and reinstall, still Emby not run 

• 2 weeks later...
noiseloops
On 15/11/2020 at 02:57, Luke said:

Hi @xccxxx

hi, may i know where is this shared folder on the synology. I'm trying to reinstall emby from scratch. currently its still referencing to my initiall setup settings. 

Thy one of these location depending on your DSM version

DSM 6 /volume1/Emby

DSM 7 /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

• 1 month later...

I made a mistake with my user name and accidentally created a new account. I cannot log into my old account - I would love to just start over.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to deleting the DSM 7 /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer file so I can start fresh?

I guess I have to SSH into the disc station to do it? Ugh - I wish there was an EMBY uninstaller.

FrostByte
15 minutes ago, andrewwx said:

I made a mistake with my user name and accidentally created a new account. I cannot log into my old account - I would love to just start over.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to deleting the DSM 7 /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer file so I can start fresh?

I guess I have to SSH into the disc station to do it? Ugh - I wish there was an EMBY uninstaller.

There should be one in DSM PC.  I've never used it before so no sure how well it cleans everything up

uninstall.thumb.jpg.e4da18960b6bb9ae759df90692263715.jpg

4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

There should be one in DSM PC.  I've never used it before so no sure how well it cleans everything up

uninstall.thumb.jpg.e4da18960b6bb9ae759df90692263715.jpg

I did that - thinking (hoping) it would be that easy. Unfortunately it leaves the @appdata/EmbyServer file intact and that is file that emby looks at to see who the user is. I have been pouring over various forums trying to find the way to kill that file. I think it involves a bunch of terminal commands.

FrostByte

I'm guessing you didn't log in as admin or your admin account doesn't have access to delete from that folder.  Admin doesn't have access to delete from most folders by default which is why I gave my admin account root access to all folders.

You can use terminal (or I prefer the gui WinSCP) and log in as root to delete them manually

3 hours ago, andrewwx said:

I did that - thinking (hoping) it would be that easy. Unfortunately it leaves the @appdata/EmbyServer file intact and that is file that emby looks at to see who the user is. I have been pouring over various forums trying to find the way to kill that file. I think it involves a bunch of terminal commands.

Did you have Emby running in DSM 6?
Did you migrate your Emby setup to DSM 7 or was this a Fresh install?

3 hours ago, FrostByte said:

I'm guessing you didn't log in as admin or your admin account doesn't have access to delete from that folder.  Admin doesn't have access to delete from most folders by default which is why I gave my admin account root access to all folders.

You can use terminal (or I prefer the gui WinSCP) and log in as root to delete them manually

Thanks - I did log in as admin but it still only allows access to the shared volumes and not the directories above that.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

Did you have Emby running in DSM 6?
Did you migrate your Emby setup to DSM 7 or was this a Fresh install?

Thank you for you response to my problem - I appreciate it.

I did have Emby installed on DSM 6. I deleted it and upgraded to DSM 7 and then did a fresh install if the DSM 7 version of EMBY downloaded directly from the EMBY page. I did get several strange messages saying the installation failed but after I dismissed them the EMBY server was there.

My very regrettable mistake was that when setting up the fresh Emby install I created a new account by mistake and it will not recognize my old account.

Thanks for you help

1 hour ago, cayars said:

Do you still have /volume1/Emby prsent?

I have /volume1/emby__PKG_

Synology did some weird renaming when it was doing the fresh install.

Edited by andrewwx

That's rather strange.  I don't think I've seen that before. 

I would uninstall Emby Server.  Then I'd SSH into the NAS and clean up some of the folders.
Then I'd try installing Emby Server again.