Could transcoding be disabled at all?

fatshotty

fatshotty

Hi all,
i'm using emby since 1 year and I think it is the best media server ever :D
however I installed emby on my cloudserver. I've not the possibility to configure a performant hw to handle live-transcoding. So I wonder: is there a way to force transcoding be disabled on Emby Server?
I'm using different emby client apps:
- emby for kodi -> no  transcoding
- emby for android (my smartphone) -> sometimes transcoding
- emby for androidtv (firestick o other) -> transcoding on all video files.

I would like to disable transcoding at all. I need to get the error on the client app if the file cannot be reproduced on device. This because my server has an arm cpu and live-transcoding will make cpu to 100% (and over).
I tried to change transcoding settings in the server dashboard but I didn't find any "disable button".

Thanks in advance

mastrmind11
2 hours ago, fatshotty said:

Hi all,
i'm using emby since 1 year and I think it is the best media server ever :D
however I installed emby on my cloudserver. I've not the possibility to configure a performant hw to handle live-transcoding. So I wonder: is there a way to force transcoding be disabled on Emby Server?
I'm using different emby client apps:
- emby for kodi -> no  transcoding
- emby for android (my smartphone) -> sometimes transcoding
- emby for androidtv (firestick o other) -> transcoding on all video files.

I would like to disable transcoding at all. I need to get the error on the client app if the file cannot be reproduced on device. This because my server has an arm cpu and live-transcoding will make cpu to 100% (and over).
I tried to change transcoding settings in the server dashboard but I didn't find any "disable button".

Thanks in advance

You can disable transcoding per user from the Users section of the admin dashboard.

Happy2Play

Disabling the user playback options can make items unplayable do to the fact they are not supported by a client/app.  So user will get error instead of being able to play said item.

• 1 month later...
cochize1

just adding up to this, over a year ago I transcoded all my media to x264/acc with external srt subtitles and turned off transoding for every user. Haven't had any issue since and all plays smoothly on all devices and clients. The main problem in my case were many files in HEVC which is rarly supported for direct play. 

Most of my library is HEVC and I have no issue with direct play at all except for playback in web browsers as they typically don't support it (exception Edge).

On the rare exception that I need transcoding it's handled by Emby using my Nvidia 1650 GPU so hardly any CPU resources needed.