TV Station Icons and Program Images

jordy

Hi Devs,

With the demise of the plugin for NextPVR, I am trying to replicate my live TV setup using Emby's built in Live TV functionality.

In place of NPVR, I am using the same tuner - a Hauppage Dual USB tuner with the Hauppage v8.5 software supplied with it and a curated xmltv.xml (EPGCollector) file for the guide. This file includes the path to Program Images and TV Station Icons. Using the NPVR Plugin I was able to get most program images to display in Emby - it seems that this is not possible when using an xmltv file to populate the guide - at least I can't get it to work.

TV Station Icons

<channel id="837">
    <display-name>SBS ONE HD</display-name>
    <icon src="C:\Users\jordy\AppData\Local\Geekzone\EPG Collector\Channel Logos\SBS ONE HD.png" />
  </channel>

Program Images

<icon src="file://C:\ProgramData\Geekzone\EPG Collector\Images\TV Series\8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown.jpg" />

Is it possible for Emby be configured to load these images into the guide? It would almost get me back to where I was whilst using NPVR...

Thanks for considering

jordy

No response!

Well that's disappointing. At the least you could just say "no" or "we're looking at it" or "thats something for the future", you know, the usual responses just to let me know that you saw my request.

Preferably, someone could at least advise on how I can fix the missing images, in particular the program images. TV Station Icons I have manually fixed.

Is there a preferred path or method (syntax please) that will allow Emby to retrieve the images from the xmltv file?

It obviously can be done because the NextPVR plugin did it beautifully - I just don't know how.

Anyone???

We apologize for the delay.  Mondays are sometimes very busy.  We will get to you.

@cayars

P.S.  I'm moving this to the more appropriate area since this is not related to Emby guide data - you are using your own XML

3 minutes ago, ebr said:

We apologize for the delay.  Mondays are sometimes very busy.  We will get to you.

@cayars

P.S.  I'm moving this to the more appropriate area since this is not related to Emby guide data - you are using your own XML

Thanks.

Hi, Emby can fully support TV Station logos and program images.  Let's get some basic info.

I take it you are using the Adelaide listing from https://www.xmltv.net/ as your guide source?

What do you need EPGCollector for?

7 hours ago, cayars said:

Hi, Emby can fully support TV Station logos and program images.  Let's get some basic info.

I take it you are using the Adelaide listing from https://www.xmltv.net/ as your guide source?

What do you need EPGCollector for?

Hi Cayars,

I have been using EPGCollector for a number of years, It allows me to correct poorly formatted or incorrect program names that are in the EIT stream and thus getting the correct metadata - which includes the correct images.

I have never used xmltv.net, didn't know it existed tbh. Are you suggesting that If i use that source my problems will be solved?

I'd suggest giving it a try.  They have a listing for your city.

You should be able to set that up in Emby directly as an EPG source.

@cayars, OK I tried it and, for the most part it's OK. Like the fact that it includes season/episode numbers and titles etc but the images leave much to be desired. many images are missing still and those that are there are just poorly presented and not the actual official show posters.

I would still like to use my own xmltv if that is possible :)

While we are discussing guide data & presentation, can Emby have more categories available for guide coloring? For instance there are no TV Show categories - Drama, Action, Comedy Animation, Documentary, Game shows etc.

Edited by jordy

That's pretty typical looking for the images for "free".  In order to get full images you really need to use a provider that supplies all this info such as Schedules Direct.

24 minutes ago, cayars said:

That's pretty typical looking for the images for "free".  In order to get full images you really need to use a provider that supplies all this info such as Schedules Direct.

Maybe so, but the images my xmltv provides are official posters and that's what I'm looking for. afaik, SD does not provide Aus tv guides, at least I remember some issues with it a while (years) ago

Edit: Their current list of Data Regions do not include Australia. As far as I can see, Au/NZ were not supported enough to continue the trial in 2016 and it was cancelled. I have emailed them asking the question :)

Edited by jordy

Got ya.  What you can do is use the xmltv file as a reference for the fields it uses as the images present obviously loaded.

3 hours ago, cayars said:

Got ya.  What you can do is use the xmltv file as a reference for the fields it uses as the images present obviously loaded.

OK, you kinda lost me there - details as to how pls :)

I looked to see if i could use the images I already have to fill in the Guide but there is no option to "Edit Images" as there is for Movies and TV shows in the library

Edit: I added my xmltv file for you top peruse re the image paths. It might help  :).

Edit 2: Copied the content of the file from xmltv.net and put it in a txt file for you to check also. Doesn't seem to be any links to the images in it that I can find ???

TVGuide.xml

XMLTV.net file content.txt

Edited by jordy
add xmltv file

What I'm saying is that the xml file you got from the site I mention work.
So knowing this works, you can compare your other setup to this to see what may need adjustment to get the images to load.

1 hour ago, cayars said:

So knowing this works, you can compare your other setup to this to see what may need adjustment to get the images to load.

OK, I think I've found a solution. IceTV - an Australian xmltv provider. I didn't really want to pay for something that was previously free, but I really don't have much choice do I?.

Unless @emveepee is going to change his mind or an Emby dev can code something for me. Sadly, neither of these seem likely at this point.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

Just to confirm, there are NO mentions of images in the xmltv file from xmltv.net.

I did a text search for jpg and png and they both returned zero esults. In addition, I searched for and found a show that had an image in the guide - there is nothing in that xmltv files that mentions images. The only possibility is that it lists tvdb IDs (tt123764) but it would not get such poor images from that site.

11 hours ago, jordy said:

more categories available for guide coloring? For instance there are no TV Show categories - Drama, Action, Comedy Animation, Documentary, Game shows etc.

So there would be about 12 different colors.  Assuming we could come up with 12 colors that would look good in all themes and be discernable from one another, would you really remember which one was for which thing...?

5 minutes ago, ebr said:

So there would be about 12 different colors.  Assuming we could come up with 12 colors that would look good in all themes and be discernable from one another, would you really remember which one was for which thing...?

Well yes, you are correct it could become confusing, but how about you let us decide that. Just make it possible and leave the rest to us :)

All I'm asking is for the option, keep the extra categories empty as the default but allow them to be populated as the user sees fit. Not saying to force it on anyone, just make it possible.

6 hours ago, jordy said:

Just to confirm, there are NO mentions of images in the xmltv file from xmltv.net.

Not sure what you're looking at but there are for sure image links in the xml from xmltv.

<channel id="29.yourtv.com.au">
<display-name>Triple J Unearthed</display-name>
<lcn>29</lcn>
<icon src="https://www.abc.net.au/cm/rimage/8869368-16x9-large.jpg?v=2"/>
</channel>
<programme start="20201112043000 +1030" stop="20201112050000 +1030" channel="92.yourtv.com.au">
<title>Joyce Meyer Enjoying Everyday Life</title>
<sub-title>Overcoming Grief and Lonliness Part 1 (Pt 1 of 2)</sub-title>
<desc>Joyce Meyer, one of the world's leading practical Bible teachers and bestselling author, shares encouragement and advice to help people enjoy daily life.</desc>
<category>Religion</category>
<icon src="https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/nine-tvmg-images-prod/40/07/45/400745_130255_JOME04_i_T2_t1_.jpg"/>
<episode-num system="SxxExx">S06E749</episode-num>
<episode-num system="xmltv_ns">5.748.</episode-num>
<rating>
<value>PG</value>
</rating>
</programme>

There are around 5000 jpg links in the xml file.  Didn't look for other graphic types.

I searched the emby folders and found the downloaded xmltv file from IceTv, which works in that it provides me with images - for about 60% of shows. which is less that I was getting with NextPVR.

With my EPGC curated xmltv file I have access to many more images and can even create my own where they are not available on TVDB.com. However I cannot find the correct syntax to enable Emby to retrieve these images from a local path - on the same machine as Emby Server.

Can anyone provide the correct syntax to enable Emby to access and retrieve images (via the xmltv file) from the following local folders:

C:\ProgramData\Geekzone\EPG Collector\Images\TV Series\*.jpg/png

and

C:\ProgramData\Geekzone\EPG Collector\Images\Movies\*.jpg/png

It would be most appreciated

Thanks

Edited by jordy
spelling

Just curious but why do you want to pre-download the images and have them stored 2 times locally?  Why not just pass the graphic location as you get it and let Emby pull this as needed (most will never be needed).

So, How do I get Emby to pull the images down by itself - without a guide.

If I don't use either SD or IceTV or an xmltv file - there is no TV guide therefore no images.

The only guide I'm happy with is my curated xmltv file as I can control the images, the rest don't give me what i want.

I don't see why you can't understand that.

All I want is one line of syntax that will make my issue go away, It will in NO WAY AFFECT EMBY, no coding, no internal changes. Emby will continue to do exactly what it does now except it will drag images from a local disk instead of halfway around the world.

You still use a guide but the file will have the http://location to the graphics so Emby can pull this down as needed vs having your program pull this down.

8 hours ago, cayars said:

You still use a guide but the file will have the http://location to the graphics so Emby can pull this down as needed vs having your program pull this down.

Yes, but like I said, there are way too many images that are not pulled down by either emby or the other commercial guides. My way allows me to create my own images, should I choose to.

Why does it matter to anyone else what I choose to occupy my disk space with anyway. Again, all I want is a single line of syntax that will drag images from my local drive.