Channels DVR installation (for live TV on Emby)

sross44

sross44

So I'm using a seedbox to host my Emby server for a bit as Comcast in my area has really shit the bed recently and I have no other options. Anyway.... I use channels dvr and their TVE ability to help create a setup for live TV on Emby. I need someone with some understanding of linux to help me SSH in to the VPS and install Channels DVR without having root access. I believe there is a way to do it with using sudo but I'm not sure. So any help would be amazingly appreciated. For what it's worth, I'm using whatbox.ca as my seedbox. 

16 hours ago, sross44 said:

So I'm using a seedbox to host my Emby server for a bit as Comcast in my area has really shit the bed recently and I have no other options. Anyway.... I use channels dvr and their TVE ability to help create a setup for live TV on Emby. I need someone with some understanding of linux to help me SSH in to the VPS and install Channels DVR without having root access. I believe there is a way to do it with using sudo but I'm not sure. So any help would be amazingly appreciated. For what it's worth, I'm using whatbox.ca as my seedbox. 

I've not installed it this was as I run/play with it on Windows Server.  But have you tried the instructions they give? https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#linux

SSH into your linux machine and use the following command to install Channels DVR Server:

curl -f -s https://getchannels.com/dvr/setup.sh | sh
  • The setup script will create a channels-dvr directory in the current directory and download Channels DVR Server there. It will then detect if your linux distribution uses systemd, upstart or init.d, and will install the appropriate startup script. The script may ask for sudo access during this process.
  • We recommend that you run the setup script in your home directory as your own user so Channels DVR Server is installed into ~/channels-dvr.
  • If you prefer instead to install into /usr/local, run this before the setup script:
    cd /usr/local && sudo mkdir -p channels-dvr && \
    sudo chown $(id -u -n) channels-dvr
  • If you have an Intel processor, make sure you add your user to the video and render groups so the Channels DVR Server transcoder can use /dev/dri for hardware acceleration: sudo adduser $(id -u -n) video.
  • If your / and /home mounts have limited space or i/o-throughput (for example, when using an SD card with the Raspberry Pi), install Channels DVR Server on an externally mounted USB HDD instead.
  • If you plan to use TV Everywhere, install your linux distrubution's chrome or chromium package. For example, apt-get install chromium-browser.
  • The service runs on port 8089, and has a web interface available at http://localhost:8089 for configuration.
  • Bonjour (aka zeroconf) is used by the Channels apps to automatically discover your DVR on your network. If you have a firewall, ensure that port 5353 is whitelisted for TCP/UDP access.

16 hours ago, sross44 said:

I'm curious, how much space do you have on your seedbox and what CPU/cores do you get that way?

sross44

I have 8TB with the seedbox, so I don't have a lot of my stuff on there... but the main reason I went this route is that Comcast as crapped out in my area. Internet is cutting out 12-14x a day....  and they're working on it. So for now, I needed something. And this works really well, especially for getting content. Once Comcast is fixed, I think I may drop down to their lowest tier just to keep it up and running. 

In regards to the instructions you shared, it's pointing to root access. I know there's a way to do it without, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to get it done lol 

sross44

Yeah I have... super unhelpful lol. It's why I came here. You guys are always willing to try and make things work 

sross44

Well maybe I could.... I'm a novice at all this stuff lol. If anyone wants to take a shot at I'm more than happy to let them.