Music metadata issues

tjmcd.314

tjmcd.314

I'm having issues importing my music library. I don't have a list, but there are lots of issues with incorrect meta-data.

Just to start with an example, I have a ton of random artists showing up as having "3 doors down" as the artist and album artist (see image below of library). I've checked the metadata with ffprobe and mp3tags and none of the tracks I see list 3 doors down anywhere (mp3tags screenshot of one track below). I've tried deleting and re-importing the library several times, and the issue persists.

I think I was able to get 1 album to correct itself by just re-writing the tags with picard, but I don't understand why that did anything since I can't figure out what metadata emby is seeing that is grouping this artists together under an unrelated artist.

image.thumb.png.c15d20e6a48b049efbee5f125ba66ec9.png

image.thumb.png.298a56c1910ee470ae8bd3a7e5e38bce.png

Ronstang

I wouldn't let any application have access to or manage my music metadata because every one of will mess it up by my standards.  There has to be a way to turn off Emby's access to the metadata on a per library basis but I myself need to figure this out because even on movies it occasionally messes up my cover art.

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, tjmcd.314 said:

I'm having issues importing my music library. I don't have a list, but there are lots of issues with incorrect meta-data.

Just to start with an example, I have a ton of random artists showing up as having "3 doors down" as the artist and album artist (see image below of library). I've checked the metadata with ffprobe and mp3tags and none of the tracks I see list 3 doors down anywhere (mp3tags screenshot of one track below). I've tried deleting and re-importing the library several times, and the issue persists.

I think I was able to get 1 album to correct itself by just re-writing the tags with picard, but I don't understand why that did anything since I can't figure out what metadata emby is seeing that is grouping this artists together under an unrelated artist.

image.thumb.png.c15d20e6a48b049efbee5f125ba66ec9.png

image.thumb.png.298a56c1910ee470ae8bd3a7e5e38bce.png

Are there any extended track metadata, ie the musicbrainz id tags?

6 minutes ago, Ronstang said:

I wouldn't let any application have access to or manage my music metadata because every one of will mess it up by my standards.  There has to be a way to turn off Emby's access to the metadata on a per library basis but I myself need to figure this out because even on movies it occasionally messes up my cover art.

Technically you can set providers per library.  But you have to remember all existing tags will be used so just because you think your tags are correct, the majority of the time Emby will prove you wrong.  If may be the way you like it but that does not make it right from a provider standpoint.  Most common issue comes from the MusicbrainzAlbumArtist field mismatching to the AlbumArtist field, ie this creates a mismatch within the Database per said tag.

• Like 1

Ronstang
24 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Technically you can set providers per library.  But you have to remember all existing tags will be used so just because you think your tags are correct, the majority of the time Emby will prove you wrong.  If may be the way you like it but that does not make it right from a provider standpoint.  Most common issue comes from the MusicbrainzAlbumArtist field mismatching to the AlbumArtist field, ie this creates a mismatch within the Database per said tag.

If Emby proves my tags to be lacking I welcome it because that is I how I learn it's wrong....then I'll correct it.  When I get to the point I want to add my music collection to Emby I will do it in small doses so I can keep an eye out for errors in my tags.  I only tested Emby with a small sample of music and it made such a mess I couldn't figure out which files were which as I mixed mp3 with lossless so I have to learn how Emby is handling my music so I get it on the server correctly....but I will never allow it access to my tags. 

I'm not sure what you mean by provider.  Being "right" about things like music tags is how I like it, not how someone else thinks it should be.  My music collection is huge and I have spent many hours getting my tags correct based on the way I use my music.  Considering I have a 400GB SD card in my phone full of my music I know for certain those tags are correct because my music player would have already proven if not...and early on it did, I corrected the tags and reloaded it to the SD card.  I own my music mostly on CDs and make my own mp3s or lossless so on the rare occasion I download some from somewhere, usually a digital purchase (which I hate and only do if lossless is available), I immediately run the files through Tag&Rename and correct what someone else thinks is correct.

Edited by Ronstang

Happy2Play

But every player will read different information.   Emby uses ffmpeg/ffprobe to read existing tags.  When your media has conflicting tags Emby will see them and you will not like the results.  So from a database standpoint a mismatch is rather easy to create.

So as long as the tags are the same you will not have any issues.  But as soon as one does not match the other, you have chaos.

Easiest way to have your tags as is, is to ensure there are no musicbrainz tags and musicbrainz plugin is not used.  Otherwise the provider will mismatch your tagging.

tjmcd.314
3 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Are there any extended track metadata, ie the musicbrainz id tags?

The image I showed was the extended track metadata. And just for completeness, below is the ffprobe results. At least I think it is, not too familiar with ffprobe. I feel like I am just somehow not seeing the complete metadata that emby is, but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

image.thumb.png.b8878aa7fb8ed9f150c8ea997a701492.png

tjmcd.314

One thing I did notice was that a lot of my songs had generic entries in the meta-data fields (see image below). So like under musicbrainz_albumartistid it would say "MusicBrainz Album Artist ID", or some version of that that was cutoff. This seems like it could be an issue, but I would expect Emby to have created a "MusicBrainz Album Artist" as an artist, rather than grouping everything with that erroneous tag under a random artist. For what it's worth, I don't see "MusicBrainz Album Artist" showup as an artist.

image.thumb.png.fef6ecc8c16b4a43be6573aab06f9ae6.png

PenkethBoy

clean up you metadata for all songs and this issue will go away - its in your control to do this - yes it will take time depending how big your collection is but if you do it correctly then its a one time thing.

you are giving emby conflicting info so its making a guess which invariably will be wrong as a guess will always be

run that Glee album though Picard and get clean tag data and it will add fine

you have been using some metadata editor that does not work to get the above - or you d/l it like that and never corrected it

Your assumptions are wrong emby does not work that way - it tries to use the MBz AlbumArtistID if its present - in this case it is but its not going to match anything and MBz might be sending back bad data - that emby does not know is bad - hence why you get funky results - if the MBz AAID was missing it would have used the AA name and probably worked better.

These topics come up a lot and there is usually one or two a week and 99% of them are bad metadata thats confusing emby as its strict on what it expects - which i think is good - and forces people to correct their data. In the future this will be even more critical as emby will move to fully tag driven music - so bad tags means even more confusion etc - so get it done and you will have a 99% hassle free experience as i do - i check all music before i add it (Picard and Mp3Tag) which corrects incorrect tags from the source - bad tags are the norm as most people dont care/lazy/unaware etc that they are important etc.

Happy2Play
28 minutes ago, tjmcd.314 said:

One thing I did notice was that a lot of my songs had generic entries in the meta-data fields (see image below). So like under musicbrainz_albumartistid it would say "MusicBrainz Album Artist ID", or some version of that that was cutoff. This seems like it could be an issue, but I would expect Emby to have created a "MusicBrainz Album Artist" as an artist, rather than grouping everything with that erroneous tag under a random artist. For what it's worth, I don't see "MusicBrainz Album Artist" showup as an artist.

image.thumb.png.fef6ecc8c16b4a43be6573aab06f9ae6.png

Here is a topic showing the same info and mp3tag showing the corrupt tags.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/89989-emby-is-unable-to-identify-album-metadata/&do=findComment&comment=926110

Music can be difficult, as it is almost impossible to reproduce without testing the exact same file and structure.

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy

ah yes forgot about that - corrupt files will make things worse

IIRC there are several mp3 validation programs for free - which can correct the files or at least confirm they are dodgy

looks like the mp3 header is corrupt in the above file

tjmcd.314

mp3tag doesn't give a corrupt indicator, like was happening in the other thread. Do you have examples of software for mp3 validation?

Also, it doesn't completely answer the issue, because the first file I posted about doesn't have any obvious errors, and very little actual tags, but is still being parsed wrong. Is there anyway there is other metadata information not shown by the extended metadata window for mp3 tags?

Happy2Play

Only way to trouble shoot this is knowing how you setup the library path, structure of items/folders within that path.  Single tracks within said path.folders can/will change the results making folders into albums.

tjmcd.314

The library path is setup by iTunes (i use picard/mp3tags to adjust metadata but I let iTunes auto organize the folder structure). You can see it in the mp3tag header, but it is setup as artist\album, which is I believe how emby prefers it.

tjmcd.314

Are there options for ffprobe that emby uses? Like could someone give me an example command line code that should give me back exactly what emby sees? Is there any reason why files would end up grouped together under an artist that isn't anywhere in the metadata?

PenkethBoy

the problem is your metadata - corrupt/minimal/conflicting etc - sort that and you will have a much better experience

the data ffprobe gets is the same as mp3tag (mp3tag translates some of the names to human readable format) extended dialog tag shows

emby only uses some of the tags though

Nothing is being parsed wrong - the lookup is returning data that does not fit your expectations - for reasons already explained above.

tjmcd.314

Ok. I poked around a bit more and I think I figured out what I was missing. Not all of the tracks are corrupt/have issues/whatever. And it appears that emby will apply issues it finds in one track to the entire folder (assuming they are all for the same album). So it's not sufficient to just check 1 or 2 tracks, I had to look at the whole folder.

I'll work on cleaning things up, and re-try. Thanks

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

yep - any folder with a track in it is considered an Album - so you need to remember that a loose song in a folder will screw things up