Copy metadata to separate Linux server

DePiglio

DePiglio

Hi all,

I’m looking to copy all the metadata from my server to a new second server, all file/paths will remain the same. The issue is though that I want both servers to remain running.

I’ve tried copying the whole /var/lib/emby folder, and while that works fine to copy the metadata, it glitches out the server if both the original and copy are running at the same time. I can’t remove emby premiere from just one for example, and emby connect starts disconnecting users. I assume there’s some unique server identifier that distinguishes between servers or something like that.

Is there anyway I can modify the the copy of my emby server so that it’s recognized as a new independent server by emby connect/premiere? 

Hi, what the objective of what you're trying to accomplish?  If it's a pure backup to use if your master goes down you want to do things more or less what you're doing except you need to shut Emby down to copy your data and config folders as they change on shutdown.

You can use you premiere key on both servers and don't need to remove it.

Where you  will have issues is keeping both servers running at the same time.  You've basically cloned the same system which is great for a backup but not to have running at the same time.  What's your objective?  If you're thinking of load balancing it's more tricky and not really advised unless you know how to setup load balancing to lock the user to the server since each server will gen different keys and whatnot while running.

Let us know your intention and we can help you better.

Carlo

DePiglio

Hi there, basically my goal was just to copy all the metadata from one server to another. Both servers were using the same mounted drive so paths were exactly the same, I just didn't want to wait for the new server to scan in all the metadata.

I ended up just copying the entire /var/lib/emby folder and deleting connect.txt, devices.txt and a few other files I can't remember which seems to have prevented the issues with emby connect and premiere that I was having the first time I tried this. I also used a small script to clear out all the users and other remnants of the original server.

I believe devices.txt and connect.txt are the unique identifiers for a server I was talking about earlier.