Moving from Raspberry Pi to Synology NAS

Meerkater

Meerkater

Hi,

I'm moving Emby server from a Raspberry Pi with external HDD to a Synology NAS.

I would like to migrate my progress, playlists, favorites, metadata to the new solution but off course the file paths will change... What is the most efficient way to do this migration? I know that Emby Premiere has a plugin to backup settings but the problem of the file path will be the same.

Thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Meerkater

On 08/11/2020 at 16:51, Meerkater said:

Hi,

I'm moving Emby server from a Raspberry Pi with external HDD to a Synology NAS.

I would like to migrate my progress, playlists, favorites, metadata to the new solution but off course the file paths will change... What is the most efficient way to do this migration? I know that Emby Premiere has a plugin to backup settings but the problem of the file path will be the same.

Thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,
Meerkater

I don't think there is a quick way, would be best just to do 'start fresh' with the Library.   If you want your played states then use the Trakt plugin as it will sync your played/watched movies and TV shows with Emby.

Hi,

I've not worked with Emby on the Pi but if anything like other Emby platforms the keys to good migration are always copying over the data from one server to the other.  The data directory for example will hold your databases with folders holding info about Live TV, Playlists, Collections, etc which are crucial for a migration.  The config folder will hold all the XML files used to configure the system.

The meta data folder will of course hold all your metadata and the cache folder the current cache info (will be rebuilt).

The key is to COPY data from the Pi (with Emby NOT running) to the NAS so you don't lose any info.  It might take you a couple of attempts to get things right.  One tip I'll give you is on the Dashboard there is a path section that tells you where some of this key information is located on your system.

You can do an initial install on the NAS before you copy any info over just to see where these paths are.  Then after you copy all the data over, reinstall Emby over top what you have which can help fix any config options that may be different between the platforms and obviously install the correct binary files needed on each platform.

Just remember to COPY and not movie data and you'll be fine.  If you get stuck we can arrange a remote session using Teamviewer on a PC and I can give you a hand with this but give it a try or two yourself first.

Carlo