Nvidia Shield Server - Playback stops after transcoding finishes

Danlo

The playback doesn't quit exactly when transcoding finishes. On the playback screen, there is a short grey section on the playback position indicator that I presume shows the playback buffer. I've attached an image of what the playback interface looks like when transcoding finishes, you can see the lighter grey buffer section right after the green playback position indicator. This buffer section never grows once transcoding has finished and when the playback indicator reaches the end of the light grey area, playback stops and I get thrown back to the main menu. 

The embyserver.txt logfile is the same file from when I started the emby service earlier on today so it doesn't look like there is a new log being created when playback fails

playback.png

Hmm, does it happen with all videos or only with one (or a few) specific ones?

Do you see the same in other clients as well?

How much segments are missing at the end - or let's say "how much seconds"? 

Is it always the same length that is missing?

It happens with any video that needs transcoding. If I force a video that would usually directplay successfully to the end to transcode by reducing the bitrate, it fails as well. I have seen this behaviour on Chrome web player, Emby Theater and the Samsung Smart TV Emby client.

I done a few tests with some different files and the light grey playback buffer section always seems to be 2 minutes long after transcoding finishes.

Thanks. I'll need to think about this. What I'm wondering is, why it happens in your case but seemingly not for anybody else? - at least I haven't seen any similar report so far. Also, the hardware is not a variable here. It's fixed (at least, one of three models).

Right in this moment, I'm running out of ideas..

Any other Shield users that can confirm (or deny!) that kind of behavior?

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:03 PM, Danlo said:

Hi Luke. Sure, I'll give this version a try and get back to you. Probably won't be for a day or so though.

Any updates on your status?

I can't help but wonder if this is SD card related to internal memory.

Are these the 16Mb Shield TVs?
What format did you use to format the SD cards? USB3 discs?

Edited by cayars

It's a 2019 Shield TV Pro and doesn't have an SD card slot. I extended the internal memory by using the USB3 SSD memory stick (128GB) that Nvidia recommend for the Shield. As I mentioned previously, Plex works just fine on this setup so I really don't think it's hardware related. Another forum member posted on this thread a while back that they were having the same issue with their Shield.

Thanks.

I didn't format it. When you insert a USB memory stick into the Shield and tell the Shield to use that to extend internal memory, it re-initialises the USB stick and formats it with whatever filesystem it needs. 

Mostly but if you had formatted it previously their is underlying things that can change this.  Not this issue here.
I'm out of ideas to test, but this still seems like a hardware/memory issue where possibly the OS is shutting things down because of memory or resource use.

I took the USB stick straight from the packet and plugged it into the Shield and initialised it as internal memory. So unless Emby is doing something fundamentally different with the Shield hardware, why would Plex work perfectly but Emby have problems? I would have thought that bad hardware would manifest in Plex problems as well?

Hi.  He wasn't suggesting that the hardware was "bad".  Rather that, in the course of events, somewhere along the line something is running out of resources.  The exact details of what is happening could/will be very different between different applications.

Nothing wrong with what you did at all.  I was just trying to see if somehow it had a previous FAT partition/format on it or similar which has limits of files sizes which could obviously cause a problem, but that does not appear to be relevant here as we ruled it out.

No one in any way is saying you did anything wrong in any manner. We're just trying to think of things that could be "unique" or different from other setups which don't seem to be experiencing this issue.

Do you notice a pattern of how long your typical videos can play when transcoded?

Is it very random in time or roughly the same?  For example if you have a 1080 source file and play this back via Chrome forcing a transcode will it play for 4 or 5 minutes or can you sometimes get 20 minutes?

On videos that need transcoded, I get until the transcode buffer fills up and it always fails a few minutes after that. If it's a file that is particularly difficult to transcode, I can get almost to the end of the file before it fails, if it's something easier to transcode the buffer fills up more quickly and the playback ends sooner.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply Luke but I pretty much have given up on Emby and use Plex full time now. I couldn't justify paying for something that wasn't working for me for so long. Thanks anyway for all your efforts, it must be frustrating having to deal with edge case problems like this.