NVIDIA Shield VS Mi Box S

mark-in-dallas
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

mark-in-dallas

I'm hoping that someone can advise me on whether this is normal behavior with the NVIDIA Shield or not.

I have been using a Mi Box S for a couple of months and it has performed flawlessly with Emby.  I recently purchased a used NVIDIA Shield 2017 because I kind of assumed that it was a better Android box and would perform at least as good, if not better.

But, what I've seen with the Shield is that there is about a 2 second lag where the screen goes black any time I back out of a movie or show, which doesn't happen with the Mi Box S.  The Mi Box will immediately display the previous screen.

I have factory reset the Nvidia Shield and cleared the cache, just to make sure that it was running on a clean slate, and made sure that it's updated to the latest Android 8.2 version, which seems to be the latest available for the 2017 Shield, but still see the lag.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal behavior with the Shield, or advise of a potential fix?  

Its the "match/switch frame rate" option  in the Emby android client on the shield that does this. It is probably not set on in Emby on the mibox so if you don't want that black screen lag you need to unset that option in Emby on the shield.

Edited by aja07
  • Like 2

mark-in-dallas

That did it, thank you!

Unchecking the  match/switch frame rate options eliminated the lag on the Shield, but oddly they are checked on the Mi Box and it doesn't experience the lag.

• Solution

Hi.  This is not related to Emby at all.  It is your display device changing modes - which on most displays does take a couple of seconds.  I don't think the Mi supports display mode switching which is why you never saw it before.

• Like 1