I cant see HDR logo on the tv

yaronzi

Hey,

I have Oled tv, I download high quality movies (HDR), but when I play the movie I dont see HDR logo in the tv. (the quality is good, but I think its not HDR)
I saw people that says they have the logo on the start of the movie.
What im missing ?

Edited by yaronzi

rbjtech

If the colour looks washed out - then it's likely transcoding.  Try selecting the non-HD Audio track (AC3/DD) before you press play - this will give you a better chance of it not transcoding - assuming you have sufficient network bandwidth.    Please provide logs and we quickly pinpoint why this may be.

Thank you guys for the fast replays.
on my TV im using Emby app, when I see HDR movies (on Apple tv or Youtube) i can see in the beginning this logo
In Emby I dont see it

hdr.jpeg

Edited by yaronzi

Hi.  Exactly which Emby app?  Where did you install it from?  What kind of TV is it?

Can we look at logs from an example that you feel isn't working?

Hi, I dont have much options when I want to download Emby app, I have just one. (I have LG CX TV)
I dont have logos in the start of the movie, that's why im not sure if I truly see HDR.

HDR.jpeg

CBers

I get HDR triggered on my LG C7 TV when playing 4K content and DD+ or DD audio via the Emby LG ET app, as per your picture above. 

If I play a 4K movie with TrueHD (Atmos), then it does cause a remux if the audio to DD, but I still get HDR triggered, as the video stream is a COPY, not transcoded.

You should be able to remux your video to create a DD audio track. 

Edited by CBers

Thank you, so how can I remux my video to create DD audio track ?
So in the future when I download a movie, I need to check if there is HDR+DD or DD+ ?
like in this example ?

image.png.fa6c4b923ebd818dfb51a13c05f2b63f.png

Edited by yaronzi

CBers

ffmpeg can be used convert TrueHD (Atmos) to DD.

I believe @rbjtech posted something about this recently.

Edited by CBers

5 minutes ago, CBers said:

ffmpeg can be used convert TrueHD (Atmos) to DD.

I believe @rbjtech posted something about this recently.

Thank you so much, I will check it.
So my example was good ?

So I run stats for nerds and I saw it was transcoded because the subtitles, when I turned the subtitles off I got the HDR logo triggered.
How can I run subtitles from outside sources ?

Edited by yaronzi

6 minutes ago, yaronzi said:

So I run stats for nerds and I saw it was transcoded because the subtitles, when I turned the subtitles off I got the HDR logo triggered.
How can I run subtitles from outside sources ?

Try using plain text subtitles rather than graphic subtitles and then it won't need to transcode.

6 minutes ago, Luke said:

Try using plain text subtitles rather than graphic subtitles and then it won't need to transcode.

Thank you, how can I do this ?

rbjtech

Multiple options here.

a) The easiest way (but not necessarily the most accurate from sync perspective) is to setup subtitles within emby itself.  You'll need to sign up a free account with open subtitles (https://www.opensubtitles.org/  and then add into emby via the 'Open subtitles option in emby'.  Once this done, then you need to also turn it on in the relevant library, selecting the language you need the subs for.  Once that is done, then a scan will start to add '.srt' subtitle files to the library - this will take some time.  Once that is done, then select the '.srt' subtitle from the list - and it will play without transcoding.  It sounds a lot of work - but once setup, it's automatic and will add subs as you add videos.

b) Depending on the type of subtitles in the video file -you may be able to just use the one that won't need a transcode.   These will be .SRT based subtitles.  Anything that says 'PGS' will not be of any use to you.

c) If you do have .SRT subtitles in the video files, then extracting them to use as external subtitles is always the best way to go and will be the most compatible with direct play. 

As you can see - subtitles are a minefield !  😒 (it's not just an emby issue)

I personally remove ALL embedded subtitles from all my media, and just use the extracted SRT subs if I have them, or fallback to emby to download them from Open Subs.  There are also other options for getting subs - Bazarr etc

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
1 hour ago, yaronzi said:

I saw @rbjtech comment on ffmpeg , he did say that ffmpeg  can convert easily.
I try to find the commands that I need to run in cmd, do you have it maybe ?

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/87802-no-audio-on-lg-oled-cx-for-dts/page/2/#comments

It's in this thread for future use - but you don't need to do this - the issue is the subtitles causing the transcode.

btw - please try and submit the log if there is a next time - we could have identified the issue within seconds of reading that, rather than guess what the problem may be .. 😉