Jumping Ship

plittlefield

plittlefield

Hi Folks,

My first post, so be gentle :-)

So, after 5 years of using Plex and being a pretty busy Plex Pass member, I am uninstalling Plex for good.

I just want to watch my stuff, that's all. The latest update is very broken and after hours of wasted time, I am done with it.

I am hoping that Emby can stand up to the challenge... just give me my stuff at home, even when the internet is down.

That's all.

Here we go...

"The king is dead. Long live the king."

• Like 3

sebasmiles

For those of us that haven't used plex, could you describe your experience a bit? What did you like, what brought you here?

MediaMogal
4 hours ago, plittlefield said:

Hi Folks,

My first post, so be gentle :-)

So, after 5 years of using Plex and being a pretty busy Plex Pass member, I am uninstalling Plex for good.

I just want to watch my stuff, that's all. The latest update is very broken and after hours of wasted time, I am done with it.

I am hoping that Emby can stand up to the challenge... just give me my stuff at home, even when the internet is down.

That's all.

Here we go...

"The king is dead. Long live the king."

Welcome aboard to both Emby server and the Emby forums. I jumped ship from Plex about 2 months back and am SOOOOOOOOOO GLAD I did.  I truly believe you will Emby mush better than PLUCKED. As for the forums I've received the help I've need without the dev attitude that is common on the PLUCKED forums. Here's to hoping you truly enjoy both the server and the forums.

plittlefield
2 hours ago, sebasmiles said:

For those of us that haven't used plex, could you describe your experience a bit? What did you like, what brought you here?

I began using Plex about 5 years ago, when I wanted a way to view my video files in different rooms in my house. It didn't take long to get it all up-and-running very well indeed. I could use all manner of devices to view my movies and the whole experience was simple and polished.

Then, about a year later, Plex HQ started to "bloat" the server software with the ability to view Live TV, they changed the way remote access worked and things started to get fiddly.

I stuck with it, constantly fixing moving goal posts and convincing friends to use it too.

To cut a long story short, 2 major events pushed me to jump ship - one was the week when Plex HQ went down and nobody could do anything (because all requests and server lookups go through plex.tv servers first) and the second was 3 days ago - when the latest update kicked people out of their own servers and the software constantly looped in a restart then crash scenario.

I spent 5 hours trying to fix it but then suddenly realised "why am I bothering with this nonsense anymore?!"

So, I looked up alternatives - found Emby and gave it a go.

So far, so good.

ALL I need, and I must stress ALL I need is:-

• local access to my files without internet (just in case)
  • the ability to add a few friends as local users and specify a direct connection to my server

That's it.

I am looking forward to a fresh start with non bloat software and enthusiastic help from the Community.

Thanks for reading this post.

Regards,

Paul Littlefield

Linux Systems Administrator

Maidstone, Kent, UK

Edited by plittlefield
  • Like 1

plittlefield
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Welcome!  Please let us know how we can help.

Thanks.

I am finding my way easily so far - have set up a Let's Encrypt cert, handled DNS, and will be testing a remote connection later tonight 🙂

I am very impressed with the web interface, the speed and features of Emby Server.

I do not need Emby Connect but just a way for a few friends to use their TV app to connect directly to my server and log in.

That's it!

Paully

• Like 1

plittlefield
1 hour ago, MediaMogal said:

Welcome aboard to both Emby server and the Emby forums. I jumped ship from Plex about 2 months back and am SOOOOOOOOOO GLAD I did.  I truly believe you will Emby mush better than PLUCKED. As for the forums I've received the help I've need without the dev attitude that is common on the PLUCKED forums. Here's to hoping you truly enjoy both the server and the forums.

Yes, it's been a much smoother experience so far... in fact, I've just bought a month's Premiere to test out the remote access and mobile apps.

#impressed

• Like 1

mark-in-dallas
7 hours ago, plittlefield said:

ALL I need, and I must stress ALL I need is:-

• local access to my files without internet (just in case)
  • the ability to add a few friends as local users and specify a direct connection to my server

That's it.

That's what I thought when I made the switch about 2 years ago myself.

That's what I thought!

Today, Emby serves up all of my media and my TV service.  I have completely moved away from Cable and/or Satellite, and even got rid of my my terrestrial antenna and TIVO service, and I have everything I could ever want or think that I might want, all at a fraction of the cost I used to pay.    I get my local programming in Emby through Locast, and the Cable networks from an IPTV service.

And, unlike Plex, with every new update it just keeps getting better, instead of becoming more and more bloated and commercialized.  Factor in the Awesome support team and community membership, and you've found yourself a solution that you'll not regret!

Edited by mark-in-dallas
  • Like 1

mark-in-dallas

Duplicate post, please feel free to delete.

Edited by mark-in-dallas
Duplicate post

plittlefield
10 hours ago, mark-in-dallas said:

That's what I thought when I made the switch about 2 years ago myself.

That's what I thought!

Today, Emby serves up all of my media and my TV service.  I have completely moved away from Cable and/or Satellite, and even got rid of my my terrestrial antenna and TIVO service, and I have everything I could ever want or think that I might want, all at a fraction of the cost I used to pay.    I get my local programming in Emby through Locast, and the Cable networks from an IPTV service.

And, unlike Plex, with every new update it just keeps getting better, instead of becoming more and more bloated and commercialized.  Factor in the Awesome support team and community membership, and you've found yourself a solution that you'll not regret!

Well, last night I installed Emby for Roku on the main TV then watched a show for an hour, and needless to say it was faultless.

Today, I am installing it on my other 2 Roku's in the house and setting up additional users.

Killer feature so far? The ability to set a PIN and not ask for a password when it's in the same house.

Superb.

• Like 1

plittlefield

So, a final few words on this thread...

All is well and so much better than Plex.

I've set up a monthly subscription to Emby Premiere.

My friends are saying it's easier and quicker to access, log in and play videos.

I am very happy and can recommend anyone who's thinking of jumping ship from Plex to just do it.

I have questions on the API and other little tweaks but I'll start new threads for those...

...so for now... cheers and happy Emby'ing!

🙂

Paully

Edited by plittlefield
  • Like 2