LG Oled E7 + Sonos Arc, how to let my truehd files play as dd+ atmos?!?

jimbo1000

jimbo1000

Guys, anyone here has ANY ideas for the following issue?!!

I just got the sonos arc / I was wondering what options i have here. The internal player can not transcode truehd to digital plus atmos. I have to select the second audio track which is not DD+ atmos, but just dolby audio 5.1.

Speaking about blu Ray files with truehd on usb.

I heard people hook their pc up and play truehd, then it will transcode to atmos. But that is not an option for me.

Do I really have to buy a nvidia shield with storage and upload my 50-70gb true hd atmos movies to that, and then use that player?? That one does transcode i believe? What is the best option here? I dont have the money to spend 200 euros on that atmimage.gif.33e28a3368aaf7b4f0a013fd450cd00e.gif :((

Your best option is to play the Dolby 5.1 track, I don't think you will get better than that without spending money.

You can't really transcode to ATMOS, you need a device that can play it natively, such as the Shield.  Other devices will convert the ATMOS audio to AC3 5.1, but if you already have a track in 5.1, it will be best to use it.

Refer to this article for some more information Why does the Emby App for my LG TV not play the Dolby Atmos TrueHD Audio without Transcoding? : Emby

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

jimbo1000

Is there a big difference in the experience with a dolby 5.1 vs dd+ atmos? I saw a poll were people that there was an easily noticable difference?  Hm but so the Shield can play atmos, but if the track is TrueHD, then how does the shield get that to DD+ atmos?

On another forum someone replied that I should get the OSMC Vero 4K+ which is only 118 euros. That is maybe something I can come to terms with, but there's also the same question. Theres no earc so why should that device playing truehd work as atmos on my sonos arc?!

rbjtech

Using a soundbar - the only way Atmos channels can get 'height' is to literally bounce them off the ceiling and back down.  This 'works' but vs a real Atmos speaker setup (with height speakers) the effects are underwhelming.  You will also get limited location awareness - as the soundwaves bounce around the room from the 'central' soundbar.  In this sense, a standard discreet 5.1 system will normally outperform an Atmos soundbar.

Unless you have a mid/high end audio system - the difference between Tru-HD Atmos (Uncompressed) and DD+ Atmos (Compressed) will not be perceivable imo.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, jimbo1000 said:

but if the track is TrueHD, then how does the shield get that to DD+ atmos?

.. it doesn't - there is currently no way for any device to keep the sound positioning data when converting formats.  If you had a shield, then it would pass the Tru-HD Atmos to the Soundbar via eARC (I'm assuming it has this).  If it only has ARC, then it will only pass AC3 (not DD+/Atmos).

Edited by rbjtech

jimbo1000

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Using a soundbar - the only way Atmos channels can get 'height' is to literally bounce them off the ceiling and back down.  This 'works' but vs a real Atmos speaker setup (with height speakers) the effects are underwhelming.  You will also get limited location awareness - as the soundwaves bounce around the room from the 'central' soundbar.  In this sense, a standard discreet 5.1 system will normally outperform an Atmos soundbar.

Unless you have a mid/high end audio system - the difference between Tru-HD Atmos (Uncompressed) and DD+ Atmos (Compressed) will not be perceivable imo.

Problem is that now im not getting dd+ atmos through the sonos arc, because LG's player can not transcode the truehd to dd+ atmos. So what people on the internet do as a solution is use the player in the nvidia shield which has transcoding from truehd to dd+ (over arc indeed, not earc), as like the only device next to also the VERO 4K+ and windows it seems? 

rbjtech

I'm not familiar with the VERO 4K, but I don't believe the Shield can convert TruHD Atmos to DD+ Atmos - as far as I'm aware, it's just a Tru-HD/DTS-X Passthrough - it doesn't 'process' the sound at all.

ffmpeg can convert TruHD to DD+ without issues - it's the Atmos data that is not being copied, maybe the VERO 4K is doing that - but tbh I highly doubt it as that is Dolby Labs proprietary coding ...

edit - just had a quick look - their website uses the term 'passthrough' - so I believe it's just doing the same as the shield.

vero.PNG

Edited by rbjtech

jimbo1000
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I'm not familiar with the VERO 4K, but I don't believe the Shield can convert TruHD Atmos to DD+ Atmos - as far as I'm aware, it's just a Tru-HD/DTS-X Passthrough - it doesn't 'process' the sound at all.

ffmpeg can convert TruHD to DD+ without issues - it's the Atmos data that is not being copied, maybe the VERO 4K is doing that - but tbh I highly doubt it as that is Dolby Labs proprietary coding ...

edit - just had a quick look - their website uses the term 'passthrough' - so I believe it's just doing the same as the shield.

vero.PNG

Hm okay that's clear. What I now found was this (replies on my question on reddit, I am samenmo) I still dont get it, people with nvidia shields, are for real reporting that they get atmos in the sonos app. Also on edits where they first say you cant get that, they get a shield and theyre like OH IT DOES work. I dont understand :( I really just want to watch my bluray files in dd+ atmos, what other options are there? Buying a new tv is not an option for me btwimage.png.c0cad688f0c1fd15a8653c4036f6bd22.png

jimbo1000

I found this now btw 

https://hdguru.com/understanding-dolby-atmos-from-an-supporting-lg-tv/

''LG TVs also now support the lossless Dolby TrueHD decoding format internally, but this must be delivered into the television over a non-ARC HDMI input for decoding internally by the television.''

But im not sure if theyre also talking about the 7 series on this point. It SEEMS like it but im not sure :ooo it seems to check out with the reddit users

rbjtech

I don't think anybody is debating that the LG TV's support Tru-HD internally - my C8 certainly does, but it can only play it from the TV speakers.  ie pretty useless.  The problem is the decoder does not appear to be coupled to the external outputs (HDMI).  Even the CX with eARC STILL cannot pass Tru-HD back from an internal App.

So as per the wiki document pointed out earlier, the ONLY way to get Tru-HD (with/without Atmos) is via an external source device, going direct to your Atmos enabled receiver or soundbar and then onto the TV - ie bypassing the need for eARC/ARC.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001984861-why-does-the-emby-app-for-my-lg-tv-not-play-the-dolby-atmos-truehd-audio-without-transcoding-

• Like 1