Elements do not show on Home Screen - Bug or stupid me?

CathMowr

CathMowr

Hellas embians,

I have a maybe stupid question. The continue listening section does not show up on my home screen when I activate it, why is that? Same seems to be the case too for latest media.. Did i forget to activate something or is this a bug?

All the best!

Edited by CathMowr

Happy2Play

Can you go over examples of what you are expecting to see.

CathMowr
On 11/5/2020 at 2:19 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Did you turn these on in your user settings?  What app are you using?

iOS / OSX / Browser via Firefox. Looks like the following. Display in secondary home screen section is enabled everywhere.1123311001_ScreenShot2020-11-07at11_26_01.png.f1af217d9d0210d915c5ad261b965999.png

On 11/5/2020 at 3:33 PM, Luke said:

Do you have anything to continue listening?

Yes.

On 11/5/2020 at 7:56 PM, Happy2Play said:

Can you go over examples of what you are expecting to see.

I was expecting to see a file with a timestamp, like with video files where you can hop in where you left. In other apps this is the moment where you left a song to close the app, but could also be the song in the record..?

2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Doesn't Continue Listening only apply to Audio Books?

Kind of.  It only applies to audio that is capable of resuming.  That is an option in the library settings which is only available for audio books right now.

CathMowr - the "Latest Media" section will result in a line of "Latest ..." for each library you have defined.  Are you not seeing this?  Were you expecting a single row with everything?

CathMowr
19 hours ago, ebr said:

Kind of.  It only applies to audio that is capable of resuming.  That is an option in the library settings which is only available for audio books right now.

CathMowr - the "Latest Media" section will result in a line of "Latest ..." for each library you have defined.  Are you not seeing this?  Were you expecting a single row with everything?

Oh, I was not aware of this. I presumed that "Continue Listening" would show everything one is able to listen to that got paused at some point. So, this is possible with audio books but not with music?

Concerning "Latest Media" - yes i do see a row of "latest" for every library i defined. Sorry, my bad. I was actively looking for columns with the names i selected in the dropdown menu, wrong thought on my side.

4 hours ago, CathMowr said:

So, this is possible with audio books but not with music?

Correct.  It would be very unusual for people to resume a song where they last left it.

• Confused 1

pwhodges

I guess I'm very unusual - I have, for instance, opera recordings which have a whole act as a single file, which it would be silly to resume from the start each time I have to stop listening.  Even if it's broken up into tracks, I can't simply resume a playlist where I left off either.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

3 hours ago, pwhodges said:

I guess I'm very unusual - I have, for instance, opera recordings which have a whole act as a single file, which it would be silly to resume from the start each time I have to stop listening.  Even if it's broken up into tracks, I can't simply resume a playlist where I left off either.

Paul

Have you tried setting these up as audio books?

CathMowr
On 11/8/2020 at 2:40 PM, ebr said:

Correct.  It would be very unusual for people to resume a song where they last left it.

Please? Are you serious?

This would be a nice feature to have, especially for people who listen to music with bigger track lengths, like @pwhodges or me. I bet there are a couple other people too. It also happens to me quite frequently that i close the app by accident and have to manually search for the record i was listening to to restart. I'd see picking up where i left as a big quality of life improvement.

Additionally, i do not get what you mean by setting something up as audiobook? Setting up an audiobook library in emby? So emby can resume audio from the point where you left it if it is an audiobook library but not when you set it up as music library? How does this make sense? File formats seem to be the same for both, so why not enable that feature for both libraries?

Kind of.  It only applies to audio that is capable of resuming.

What does this mean? I work in audio engineering and i can not make sense of this.

Edited by CathMowr

1 hour ago, CathMowr said:

but not when you set it up as music library? How does this make sense?

Like I mentioned before, the vast majority of people listening to music do not resume a song where they last left it.  Audio books, however, are a different case.

I do understand for something like classical music where this could be desirable but that is not the most common use case so we simply have not implemented it that way at this time.

It is possible that we could allow you to set a music library to be resume-able in the future.

CathMowr
14 hours ago, ebr said:

Like I mentioned before, the vast majority of people listening to music do not resume a song where they last left it.

Where do you take this information from?

And would you be so kind as to answer at last a couple of my aforementioned questions? The biggest one of these is why have a feature like this that handles the same type of media - i assume - and make it available for one kind of library and not the other. Isnt that a question of copy pasting some code?

I am sorry to be so insisting, but it is a little maddening to try to give you processable feedback to make this plattform a better version of itself but everytime you have a question all you get is a short answer that clarifies nothing.

Hi.  I apologize but I did state the following in my last response.

19 hours ago, ebr said:

It is possible that we could allow you to set a music library to be resume-able in the future.

We value your feedback and monitor these things closely.  This particular functionality has not been requested until recently so that tells us it has not been a high priority item for a lot of our users.  We are constantly working on improvemens.

Thanks.

CathMowr

No apology needed, thank you, all I was asking for were answers for questions that came to mind after some of your statements.

Anyways, I hope this feature will see the light of day sometime, I bet a lot of people would feel greatful about its existence.

• 2 weeks later...
CathMowr

@Luke - I would be grateful to continue this discussion, like you mentioned in the other thread.

Like another poster mentioned above - and I share this experience - there are cases where people listen to lengthier audio files that are not audio books - DJ mixes, or jazz/experimental/classical music. These have longer playtimes, so this feature would come in very handy in general while it would also be useful if you have to - for whatever reason - close the app and want to continue listening without having to navigate the whole library again.

Another reason to implement this in my eyes is the very reason for this thread. Having a "continue listening" option for the home menu but not seeing it because it is restricted to a library type is straight up confusing.