Emby needs to transcode MPEG4/XVID

rodainas

rodainas

I have Emby for AndroidTV and the player cant direct play this format:

Video

TitleSD MPEG4

CodecMPEG4

Codec TagXVID

I have tested the latest emby app on a FireTV Stick 4K and Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.

I know for sure my devices can play this format natively, because I tested it with Kodi with emby for kodi and emby con in both devices with no problem.

vdatanet
9 hours ago, rodainas said:

I have Emby for AndroidTV and the player cant direct play this format:

Video

TitleSD MPEG4

CodecMPEG4

Codec TagXVID

I have tested the latest emby app on a FireTV Stick 4K and Nvidia Shield Pro 2019.

I know for sure my devices can play this format natively, because I tested it with Kodi with emby for kodi and emby con in both devices with no problem.

Exoplayer does not support that formats, so transcoding is required. The good news are that the new Emby for Android Mobile supports software decoders and it can direct play that. Sooner or later, this will also be incorporated into the Android TV application.

One thing is what the Shield supports and another is what Exoplayer supports.

Edited by vdatanet

3 hours ago, vdatanet said:

Native Exoplayer supports whatever decoders the Shield has.  The Shield does not have decoders for this.  The reason it works in Kodi and our customized Exo is because both add software decoders (via ffmpeg).

• 1 year later...
andyxoxo
On 11/5/2020 at 9:56 PM, vdatanet said:

Exoplayer does not support that formats, so transcoding is required. The good news are that the new Emby for Android Mobile supports software decoders and it can direct play that. Sooner or later, this will also be incorporated into the Android TV application.

One year later and this still has not been incorporated into the Android TV app... one year? really? Isn't this a pay-for app? Just kind of frustrated...

1 hour ago, andyxoxo said:

One year later and this still has not been incorporated into the Android TV app... one year? really? Isn't this a pay-for app? Just kind of frustrated...

The changes referenced in that post have been incorporated in this app.  If we can look at specifics we may be able to help.

andyxoxo

Thanks for your replies guys... okay later today I will make a post detailing all the audio problems I am having with the AndroidTV app on my brand new 2021 x85j Sony TV, problems which are not occuring (at least to the same extent) with the Emby app on my 4k Firestick. In short, all audio formats (aac, mp3, ac-3, eac3, dts all) are being software decoded while using the AndroidTV app, not one audio format is being direct played (Plex AndroidTV app works fine). But I will post this later. But I do believe that this problem here in this thread is an actual "Transcode" problem which I also have so I will keep this topic here and not over in that other thread.

Edited by andyxoxo

andyxoxo

Okay, I am still having the same problem as the original poster in this thread in that an .avi file containing XviD & mp3 transcodes using the Emby AndroidTV app whether its installed on my Sony Bravia x85J or 4K Firestick. Either one transcodes it... see screenshot :

avi.jpg

Edited by andyxoxo

andyxoxo
21 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try side loading our standard Android app into the same device and let us know how that compares:

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks!

Okay, I sideloaded it and after much difficulty I was able to tab over to stats for nerds as it seems this app is for phones and my device is a TV... but I did get it to finally come up. An .avi file with xvid & mp3 does seem to direct play with your standard app but as I posted above it doesn't with the AndroidTV app... The AndroidTV transcodes them with an unsupported container error (as can be soon on the above post screenshot)... cheers

avi 2.jpg

Edited by andyxoxo

Hi.  Yes, the case of the AVI container is still one of the rare exceptions as that is not supported by the player in this app.   The standard Android app should be able to handle it though but what you want to do is go into the settings in that app and change your display mode to "TV".  That will make navigation much easier.

andyxoxo

Thanks for your reply... but I gotta say that there are literally trillions of avi files with xvid & mp3 out there in the world (before AVC took over) so how can you charge for an app that can't even direct play this extremely common file type? Am not being difficult, I just would like to know how & why this hasn't been fixed in Emby yet...

Edited by andyxoxo

3 hours ago, andyxoxo said:

Okay, I sideloaded it and after much difficulty I was able to tab over to stats for nerds as it seems this app is for phones and my device is a TV... but I did get it to finally come up. An .avi file with xvid & mp3 does seem to direct play with your standard app but as I posted above it doesn't with the AndroidTV app... The AndroidTV transcodes them with an unsupported container error (as can be soon on the above post screenshot)... cheers

avi 2.jpg

If you set the app into tv display mode then it should work well with a remote control 

andyxoxo
9 hours ago, Luke said:

If you set the app into tv display mode then it should work well with a remote control 

i am looking at the settings and cannot find any setting for "tv display mode"... where is this please?

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, andyxoxo said:

i am looking at the settings and cannot find any setting for "tv display mode"... where is this please?

Click on your user icon top-right, 'Display' section (first one in a row), 'Display mode' (third one in a row). 

andyxoxo

Thanx found it but still hard to navigate with tv remote... double skips with only one key press on sony bravia x85J. The androidTV app navigates fine...

Edited by andyxoxo

17 hours ago, andyxoxo said:

Thanx found it but still hard to navigate with tv remote... double skips with only one key press on sony bravia x85J. The androidTV app navigates fine...

I haven't seen that before, but we'll take a look at it. Thanks.

andyxoxo

That's all well and good but when will this transcoding problem described in this thread be fixed? The original post in this thread is a year old so you have known about it that long and ebr also said in this thread it was fixed but it's not... will this ever be fixed? Thanks...

10 hours ago, andyxoxo said:

ebr also said in this thread it was fixed but it's not

Hi.  Sorry if that was mis-interpreted.  The question was specifically about changes to Exoplayer being ported to the TV app and that has been done.  Unfortunately, this issue is not related to those changes as Exoplayer simply does not support the AVI container (even with our changes).  The standard app, however, does support direct playing this container (by other means) so that is definitely the best option at this point in time if you must avoid remuxing AVI.

On 11/20/2021 at 3:14 PM, ebr said:

Yes, the case of the AVI container is still one of the rare exceptions as that is not supported by the player in this app. 

By "this app" you mean Android TV, right?
I can confirm that my AVI files play just fine on .54 ATV beta and has been playing fine for a couple of versions now.

Or is there a misunderstanding on my side?

1 hour ago, neik said:

I can confirm that my AVI files play just fine on .54 ATV beta and has been playing fine for a couple of versions now.

They play just fine and always have.  They just require remuxing and, depending on the codec inside, that may also trigger a transcode.

34 minutes ago, ebr said:

They just require remuxing

What I acutally meant was that they are direct playing without remuxing or transcoding.

AVI container, mpeg4 & mp3 audio.