Streaming from a Cloud Drive

GiGo

I was reading today how someone was storing there data on Google Drives amoung other cloud services and streaming directly from the Cloud drive, which got me thinking.

Is this possible to setup in Emby? My thoughts were to us a couple of Mega accounts as you get 50GBs per account, so I was wondering if it was possible would you be able to stream directly from the Cloud drive without going through my Emby server connection (I'm guessing not because of transcoding etc...), which is a shame as my upload speed where my NAS is, is only 2mbps :(  but it's thats the case it's still storage that I don't need to fork out for, so.......

My undertstanding is you can use a program called Air Live Drive to 'map' the drives on the local network (but not download the data to a physical drive). Which then raises a few questions if my Emby server (that is installed on my NAS) can connect to a locally mapped drive on a Windows PC to an emby library.

Just a crazy thought I had and wondered if anyone else has thought the same or had idea of the same nature.

I have figured out that with my Synology DS1815+ (and i'm guessing anything running DSM) I can mount Windows network drives on my NAS so Emby can read them easily.  So I'm guessing it is doable, I will trying this when I get back on my local network to see how it works.

21 hours ago, GiGo said:

I was reading today how someone was storing there data on Google Drives amoung other cloud services and streaming directly from the Cloud drive, which got me thinking.

Is this possible to setup in Emby? My thoughts were to us a couple of Mega accounts as you get 50GBs per account, so I was wondering if it was possible would you be able to stream directly from the Cloud drive without going through my Emby server connection (I'm guessing not because of transcoding etc...), which is a shame as my upload speed where my NAS is, is only 2mbps :(  but it's thats the case it's still storage that I don't need to fork out for, so.......

My undertstanding is you can use a program called Air Live Drive to 'map' the drives on the local network (but not download the data to a physical drive). Which then raises a few questions if my Emby server (that is installed on my NAS) can connect to a locally mapped drive on a Windows PC to an emby library.

Just a crazy thought I had and wondered if anyone else has thought the same or had idea of the same nature.

50 GB isn't very much space when it comes to media.  Did you mean TB?

Many people are using rclone to mount a Google drive as a local drive and then setup this local drive up in Emby.  This does work but is not as reliable as having local storage.

But in this case the media is still processed through your Emby Server.

2 hours ago, cayars said:

50 GB isn't very much space when it comes to media.  Did you mean TB?

Many people are using rclone to mount a Google drive as a local drive and then setup this local drive up in Emby.  This does work but is not as reliable as having local storage.

But in this case the media is still processed through your Emby Server.

No I do mean 50GB and yes it's not a lot, on my NAS I have 34TB but I'm starting to panic as I've only got 11TB left 🤣 but always good to have the option of extra space.  My main reason was more of the fact my connection is only 2mpbs up and I'm spending more time away and was hoping that but storing on Cloud it would give me a better down rate, but if it comes via Emby then obviously not, which has now got me thinking 🤪

How about a Cloud installed version of Emby? Could there be a possiblity of having a version like this, I'm guessing not because of the CPU usage required to transcode unless it could be done locally? I'm not coder nor a logical person, but it's a thought?

No need for a cloud version of the software as you can install this version anywhere.