Can't get Real-Time-Monitoring(RTM) to work on Synology DS213j with latest DSM v6.2 and Emby Server v4.6.0.4 beta

Findus

I know, this has been discussed a lot in this forum and I read all the threads and the ones leading to external forums as it seams to be a Synology problem.

I can't get the real time monitoring to work. I tested with different folders on my DS213j and with SMB2/SMB3 and AFP.

I gave the emby server user all privilieges to access the files and folders via read/write.

After all the digging it looks like it comes down to the inotify service on Synologys end.

I expanded the max_user_watches from 8192 to 204800 via the recommended task after startup and a 
cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches via terminal shows me the correct value

cat /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_instances shows me a value of 128 and that seems to be right.

I can't get my library to update the "watched" folder after copying a file there. Deleting doesn't trigger anything either.

After at least 6 hours I am ready to let go and refresh manually.

My questions:
1. Does anyone with my setup or a very similar one have the RTM up and running with the latest DSM 6.2 and the latest ARMv7 legacy (4.6.0.4 at the moment)?
2. How can I determine if inotify is actually "running"? Which log do I have to check? The emby server log gets no entry after copying or deleting a file. I waited long enough.
Is there a terminal command to check if inotify is running?
3. Could I use a script via the task manager after boot to watch a folder via the inotify-tools I found as a package here?: 
https://synocommunity.com/package/inotify-tools

Any help or a hint if it could work or that I should give up would help!

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Findus

FrostByte

2. If you setup RTM you should see the watchers start for each library you are monitoring.  They will be very close to the top of your log and look something like this

2020-10-15 01:38:00.774 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/MyEmbyMedia/TV

You could also search your log for the word "inotify"

3. You can use the inotify tools.  In Terminal type the following using one of your watched folders.  Then copy something new into that folder and you "should" see where inotify sees the new file.  You may need to wait for about 60 seconds

inotifywait -mr "/volume1/MyEmbyMedia/TV"

Turn debugging on and post a log from the time you're doing the above

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

2. If you setup RTM you should see the watchers start for each library you are monitoring.  They will be very close to the top of your log and look something like this

2020-10-15 01:38:00.774 Info LibraryMonitor: Watching directory /volume1/MyEmbyMedia/TV

^ that entry comes up in my logfile ^

You could also search your log for the word "inotify"

3. You can use the inotify tools.  In Terminal type the following using one of your watched folders.  Then copy something new into that folder and you "should" see where inotify sees the new file.  You may need to wait for about 60 seconds

inotifywait -mr "/volume1/MyEmbyMedia/TV"

^ Do I need the synology package inotify-tools for that? Or should that work without installing that package?
OK. Tested that with my Synology at work. I need the tools for that. Will see what I get at home...

Turn debugging on and post a log from the time you're doing the above

^ will do this evening, when I'm back at home...

Edited by Findus

FrostByte
12 minutes ago, Findus said:

^ Do I need the synology package inotify-tools for that? Or should that work without installing that package?

You will have to install the package, I don't believe the tools come installed with DSM

FrostByte

What you want to see is something like what I've circled in the pic below with the name of your file in it.  The other stuff is just normal inotify notices while it's running.  

surv.thumb.jpg.b4765b6028036f04613ed858bd2a8aa1.jpg

With inotifywatch I get this:

inotifywait -rm /volume1/video/series/Creepshow
Setting up watches.  Beware: since -r was given, this may take a while!
Watches established.
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ OPEN,ISDIR 
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE,ISDIR 
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CREATE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ OPEN Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CLOSE_WRITE,CLOSE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/@eaDir/ OPEN Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv@SynoEAStream
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/@eaDir/ ACCESS Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv@SynoEAStream
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/@eaDir/ ACCESS Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv@SynoEAStream
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/@eaDir/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv@SynoEAStream
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CLOSE_WRITE,CLOSE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ ATTRIB Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ ATTRIB Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ OPEN Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ ACCESS Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ ACCESS Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CLOSE_NOWRITE,CLOSE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv

Edited by Findus

I know. I checked the folder permissions many times. I even set up a new folder with fresh rights. Doesn‘t change anything. 

Maybe I will try a clean install of emby server stable not beta this weekend and start with one folder adding single files. 

Edited by Findus

20 hours ago, Findus said:

With inotifywatch I get this:

inotifywait -rm /volume1/video/series/Creepshow
Setting up watches.  Beware: since -r was given, this may take a while!
Watches established.
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ CREATE Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ MODIFY Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv
/volume1/video/series/Creepshow/ MODIFY Creepshow - [01x06] - Skincrawlers By the Silver Water of Lake Champlain.mkv

Does this mean inotify is working on my DS? Or is that the wrong conclusion?

Edited by Findus

Q-Droid

I posted this in the other thread but it went nowhere. You and Emby should only care about events that modify files and directories. So to cleanup all of the output that includes open, close events you can filter the inotifywait command for those specific events. Then test again creating directories, copying files and removing them to see if DSM responds as expected.

inotifywait -mre create,delete,move,modify,attrib "path to monitor"

Edited by Q-Droid
  • Like 1

Q-Droid
17 minutes ago, Findus said:

Does this mean inotify is working on my DS? Or is that the wrong conclusion?

Based on that output it looks like inotify captured the file creation and then a subsequent scan by something. What are "@eaDir" and "@SynoEAStream"?

20 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

Based on that output it looks like inotify captured the file creation and then a subsequent scan by something. What are "@eaDir" and "@SynoEAStream"?

Out of desperation I activated the Synology mediaserver hoping that would trigger something so that emby gets notfied.
Those are directories created by that service.

42 minutes ago, Q-Droid said:

I posted this in the other thread but it went nowhere. You and Emby should only care about events that modify files and directories. So to cleanup all of the output that includes open, close events you can filter the inotifywait command for those specific events. Then test again creating directories, copying files and removing them to see if DSM responds as expected.

inotifywait -mre create,delete,move,modify,attrib "path to monitor"

I cut some parts from the complete output. MODIFY parts were also logged. I pasted those parts now above.

I will try notifywait -mre create,delete,move,modify,attrib "path to monitor" this evening. Thanks for the hint.

Edited by Findus

Q-Droid

Then based on that it would appear that inotify is working on your server. As posted earlier the permissions might need to be checked. 

Here the output in terminal:

inotifywait -mre create,delete,move,modify,attrib "/volume1/video/series/De Zevensprong/Season 01/"
Setting up watches.  Beware: since -r was given, this may take a while!
Watches established.
/volume1/video/series/De Zevensprong/Season 01/ CREATE De Zevensprong - S01E02 - De Brozem.mp4
/volume1/video/series/De Zevensprong/Season 01/ MODIFY De Zevensprong - S01E02 - De Brozem.mp4
/volume1/video/series/De Zevensprong/Season 01/ MODIFY De Zevensprong - S01E02 - De Brozem.mp4
/volume1/video/series/De Zevensprong/Season 01/ ATTRIB De Zevensprong - S01E02 - De Brozem.mp4
/volume1/video/series/De Zevensprong/Season 01/ ATTRIB De Zevensprong - S01E02 - De Brozem.mp4

read/write permissions:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 admin users 220548313 Nov  4 09:22 De Zevensprong - S01E02 - De Brozem.mp4

no RTM and no inotify in the server log

is admin/users as user/group right?

Edited by Findus

Q-Droid

To troubleshoot problems it's likely best to start with the stable release unless devs recommend a beta for a specific problem.

Emby would need access to the files and the directories leading to the files, the full path. It doesn't need r+w on everything but r+x is always needed for directories.

You can run into problems when media is added by users who have nothing in common with Emby, ie: group (gid), but end up owning the directories and files.

I uninstalled the beta and deleted all emby directories.

After that I installed the emby server version 4.5.2.0 and set up a new folder with the correct ACL permissions.

Set up the library with this folder with RTM activated and added one video. Nothing...

I give up and refresh manually. Thanks for all the hints and help, but emby server doesn't seem to work with DS213j...

Edited by Findus

never be able to use inotify, I use MEDIAMON for years, it works with my old DS412+ and my 916+, I automatised the install that I forget that I have it

https://github.com/carljm/synology-mediamon

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW : 

• you may have to change the path to the MEDIAMON.PY file in the S99MEDIAMON.SH file, edit S99MEDIAMON.SH file and next to #start the monitoring daemon, change the path to you MEDIAMON.PY file, to me it's :
    •     python3 /volume1/Docker/mediamon.py

• paths are in the MEDIAMON.PY file
    • watched_paths = ["/volume1/music", "/volume1/photo", "/volume1/video"]
    • followed by "allowed exts", if you want mediamon to scan specific extension you have to add it here

here are my notes : 

## MEDIAMONITOR

python3 -m ensurepip
python3 -m pip install pyinotify

# test
python3 -m pyinotify -v /tmp

# copy S99mediamon.sh to /usr/local/etc/rc.d avec 0755 sur le fichier
cp /volume1/Docker/S99mediamon.sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ && chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99mediamon.sh
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99mediamon.sh start

# log @ /var/log/mediamon.log
  1. copy MEDIAMON.PY and S99MEDIAMON.SH somewhere on your synology (to me /volume1/Docker)
  2. edit those files to change your paths
  3. install python3 from package manager
  4. install pip and pyinotify
  5. you can do a test
  6. copy le script to /usr/local/etc/rc.d
  7. start it (you do not have to reboot)
  8. you can show logs on /var/log/mediamon.log

be carefull, the script will be erased if your syno is updated, so I add a scheduled task at syno's starting that do all the tasks, I created a script MediaMon.sh

#!/bin/sh
export LANG=fr_FR.utf8
python3 -m ensurepip
python3 -m pip install pyinotify
cp /volume1/Docker/S99mediamon.sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ && chmod 755 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99mediamon.sh && /usr/local/etc/rc.d/S99mediamon.sh start

the schedule is : 

• name : MediaMon
  • user : root
  • event : start
  • script : bash /volume1/Docker/Scripts/MediaMon.sh

you can do a tail -f /var/log/mediamon.log while you had / remove files

• Like 2

Thanks for the great instruction. Mediamonitor is up and running. The tail -f /var/log/mediamon.log logs every add/delete just perfect.

BUT - emby servers RTM doesn't pick up the changes. I could cry! Why?

@yarez0 do you have emby server running on you old DS214+ with a working RTM?

Maybe there is an indexing process on my DS that isn't running properly?

Or maybe it's just not possible with the emby server armv7 legacy version?

Edited by Findus

1 hour ago, Findus said:

@yarez0 do you have emby server running on you old DS214+ with a working RTM?

no, historically I used mediamon to get DLNA up to date on my TV, long time before EMBY and before PLEX. 

I had installed MULTIMEDIA SERVER app on the synology, activated the MULTIMEDIA INDEXATION and that's all. 

is your folder whatched ? 

image.png.b43fdb41be060f52f00cc0ef195858f0.png

try to restart your nas, I saw on topics that a reboot correct the monitoring

what file system are you using ? have you hibernation activated ? 

I saw a lot of threads where some guys just reboot and it works and some others not, someone modify the inotify settings. I saw permissions problem, I saw moving files to a new folder, the last thread I saw the guy did a fresh install and all goes right 🤷‍♂️

here are my permissionson folders AND files, just in case :

image.png.b4df09ff22d197f9d0206b8fb81ce22a.png

image.png.c0e00447b15118cbcb7e6494ef53948c.png

did you try to use a new shared folder ? fresh install without any phugins ?

I have a DS916+, BTRFS file system, emby 4.6.0.5 beta and never had any problem, the only problem I had was with some providers while searching for metadatas

note that there is a lag between nas indexing and emby indexing, no more than 1 minutes in my case but sometimes it's a little bit longer, depends on metadatas search, maybe 5 minutes for the longest scan, update, medatadatas and NFO files (since I had to redo manual metadatas for some specific files between some updates I'm now using the NFO METADATAS plugin)

Edited by yarez0

RTM is activated, I tried a clean install of emby server without plugins. I tried a new folder, restarted every time after the changes.

I checked the ACL permissions. Everything is looking good like in your screenshots.

what file system are you using ? have you hibernation activated ? 

That I don't understand. Where do I check those infos?