Guide doesn't work if Parental Controls is on...

jlficken

jlficken

It took me a bit to figure this out but I finally determined that if you have Parental Controls turned on and the "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information" option is enabled for "Live TV Channels" then the Guide in Live TV won't work.

Once that's unchecked it works.

I'm thinking this is a bug as while you wouldn't actually want the users to view the shows in this case the guide should still be viewable I'd think?

Edited by jlficken

Hi, yea i guess you can debate this one either way. We should probably not apply this to live tv though.

• Like 1

jlficken

It just kind of makes Live TV hard to use without any kind of guide in my opinion.  We were trying to see what channel a show was on but it didn't start for 3 minutes and we couldn't since the guide won't populate.

I can see where you're coming from though.

Maybe just an option per user as to whether the guide is enabled?  Since we use OTA there's no danger of inappropriate things being in the guide.

Edited by jlficken

Hi.  I would think that titles and images in the guide data could definitely be something you wouldn't want to show - depending on the exact source of that data.  This is a tricky one...

jlficken

What do you think about putting an option under each use inside the Feature Access section with the rest of the Live TV settings called "Allow Live TV guide viewing" or something like that?

You could check the Parental Controls sections to see if the "Block items with no or unrecognized rating information" checkbox is on for Live TV Channels and then if it's on leave the new checkbox unchecked while if it's off check the new checkbox.  That way it would be backwards compatible.

It's still not ideal but at least that'd give the user a choice as to whether to show the guide.  If you use OTA TV you'll never have to worry about the guide information being sketchy.  I could see where cable could be questionable though.

jlficken
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Did you try just unchecking the option to block unrated channels?

It works if I do that.  I was just hoping there could be a way to show the guide but still disallow watching of shows with no rating via a standalone "Show Guide" option or something like that.

With only having OTA TV there's basically no chance that the guide would contain inappropriate content even though the shows could be unrated.

jlficken
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK so you want them to be able to see it, but not play, no, there's no option for that.

Correct.

No problem I was just wondering if it was possible.