Optimizing scanning Library

oisecnet

oisecnet

Hey guys,

Been using emby on Linux for quite some time now.

However after a new install on a clean machine, while importing my existing files. I encountered some performance issues. After looking at it it seems the library scanning process only will utilize 1 core at a time. The ffmpeg process that is forked for the chapter images is explicitly started with -threads 1. Is there any option to increase that ? Or is it limited that way due to locking issues ?

On current systems it would speed up these processes quite a lot if multiple threads where forked. Even if ffmpeg was only forked with -threads 1 it would be possible to start multiple ffmpeg's for multiple media files.

Also it looks like the chapter imaging task limits emby from doing other tasks (like re-importing the .nfo files I have for every media file).

Are there any parameters that can be used to force emby to multi-thread some processes or is this currently not possible ?

mastrmind11
45 minutes ago, oisecnet said:

Hey guys,

Been using emby on Linux for quite some time now.

However after a new install on a clean machine, while importing my existing files. I encountered some performance issues. After looking at it it seems the library scanning process only will utilize 1 core at a time. The ffmpeg process that is forked for the chapter images is explicitly started with -threads 1. Is there any option to increase that ? Or is it limited that way due to locking issues ?

On current systems it would speed up these processes quite a lot if multiple threads where forked. Even if ffmpeg was only forked with -threads 1 it would be possible to start multiple ffmpeg's for multiple media files.

Also it looks like the chapter imaging task limits emby from doing other tasks (like re-importing the .nfo files I have for every media file).

Are there any parameters that can be used to force emby to multi-thread some processes or is this currently not possible ?

it's currently not possible, or it would be an option.  fairly certain this has to do with db locking, most likely pertaining to the handling of series metadata.  i could be wrong though

Happy2Play

Interval/Chapter images you can set when they happen.  Never/On their own scheduled task/or during import.  So during import extends the amount of time to process your entire library.  Per library option.

If you saved interval images with media they don't have to be generated again in situations like this.

Edited by Happy2Play

oisecnet

I know it can be changed, i just noticed that their are some easy ways to increase it's performance. The ffmpeg threads options looks to be safe for DB operations/locking. 

However I agree with mastrmind11 that other simultaneous operations might cause db problems (especially with sqlite)