Can't reach Emby

jerren
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

The problem i have had twice in three days now is, when i browse to emby on a phone, i can browse a bit and then suddenly it keeps loading. When i close the app on my phone and reopen it, it needs to know what server to connect with but even when pointing at the right one, it still can't connect. The only solution so far is to log into my freenas gui and restart the plugin, it's an easy temporary fix when i'm home but not so much when i'm out.

i'm running Freenas 11.3-U 4.1 & Emby is version 4.4.3.0. Freenas server itself is running fine, no problems with that or other plugins. 

Thanks in advance!

PS: I saw this come up alot in the log but i doubt it is the cause of this ( 2020-11-02 01:34:38.449 Error App: Error in TheMovieDb -  *** Error Report ***)

embyserver.txt embyserver-63739941668.txt

Edited by jerren

Emby says it's up to date, haven't done much in freenas yet. I selected the plugin and clicked update on it but that doesn't seem to update it. Is there another way to update the plugin?

I searched a bit and found someone saying to use: pkg update & pkg upgrade

But when i do i got a question, since i'm not accustomed to this i'm not sure what to say to it, added screenshot

image.png

@jerren the plugin in FreeNAS is outdated. You should be able to update by running the following commands inside the emby jail

service emby-server stop
pkg update
pkg upgrade
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.5.2.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.5.2.0_amd64.txz
service emby-server start

I don't believe there were any new dependencies between 4.4.3.0 and 4.5.2.0 so you should be able to skip that step.

And you're able to hit Y for the kernel mismatch

@MRobi

When i try to stop the service i got the following

image.png.a1d77f7f4dc2f85aca7dcb0d90859f30.png

Can i just stop emby through the freenas gui or is there something else in the background that only gets stopped by doing the service stop command?

6 hours ago, jerren said:

@MRobi

When i try to stop the service i got the following

image.png.a1d77f7f4dc2f85aca7dcb0d90859f30.png

Can i just stop emby through the freenas gui or is there something else in the background that only gets stopped by doing the service stop command?

restart the jail and try it again. The PID file must not have the service status, a jail restart should fix it the easy way. Then run the commands again. The proper service is emby-server (lower case e)

Yup restarting the jail, allowed me to do the commands and emby is now at 4.5.2.0. I just tried the upper case variant to be sure it wasn't that. 

Thanks MRobi!

I'm not sure if this will fix the problem that happened, i'll report back in the topic if it happens again.

Just for future reference how do i find (pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.5.2.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.5.2.0_amd64.txz)? I can see it's from github but is there a thread that gets updated with the newest link? Don't need beta versions, but it would be nice to be able to do it without asking around in the future.

20 hours ago, jerren said:

Yup restarting the jail, allowed me to do the commands and emby is now at 4.5.2.0. I just tried the upper case variant to be sure it wasn't that. 

Thanks MRobi!

I'm not sure if this will fix the problem that happened, i'll report back in the topic if it happens again.

Just for future reference how do i find (pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.5.2.0/emby-server-freebsd11_4.5.2.0_amd64.txz)? I can see it's from github but is there a thread that gets updated with the newest link? Don't need beta versions, but it would be nice to be able to do it without asking around in the future.

There's usually an announcement when a new release is put out. Or you can just track it on github https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/

"latest release" is the latest stable, "pre-release" is beta

Also i'm a newb at this so tell me if i'm wrong but both the FreeBSD option & Freenas option only show how to install Emby, not how to update it if you already have it. 

So far i've also not been able to replicate the problem

Hey it just happened again, after watching fine for a bit, suddenly couldn't connect or play anything anymore, had to restart the plugin on freenas. 

ADDITION: To be clear it's happened each time after browsing on the mobile app and playing video through a chromecast.

embyserver-63740452821.txtembyserver (1).txt

Edited by jerren

Yes, it happens at seemingly randoms times. Only when i'm connected with a chromecast (also had the problem happen when i was at a friends house and connected with his chromecast). Always have to restart the emby plugin in the freenas gui, when i'm home that's not that bad but when i'm at a friends house, it's kinda annoying because that means end of the line.

• Solution

Can you please try removing the statistics plugin, then restart the server and see if that helps? Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Since it's been a month almost without this happening i'm gonna say that removing statistics plugin worked. Thanks Luke!