iTunes lack PLAYLISTS and COMPOSERS

drrobin

Though Emby's handling of iTunes database on macOS Catalina is pretty good, there is a major aspect lacking: PLAYLISTS.

This is a fundamental requirement which somehow is not implemented.

Also, I mainly listen to classical music, and the essential category of COMPOSERS is missing. The category of ARTISTS is essentially useless for me.

Given these two updates, Emby would be by far the best server software available! Please implement these two issues to make a perfect app!

Robin

Hi there, how are we lacking in playlists? Emby supports playlists.

And yes composers, I agree, something we should add.

18 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi there, how are we lacking in playlists? Emby supports playlists.

And yes composers, I agree, something we should add.

Yes, PLAYLISTS is listed as an option, but it doesn't work. None of my numerous playlists in iTunes db are shown.

Re the need for a COMPOSER option, I note an extraordinary extended discussion about this here in 2016!

What the heck happened that absolutely nothing of this has been implemented for us classical music lovers?

Hi, we don't import playlists from itunes. You'd need to have actual playlist files in your music library, or create playlists using the Emby web interface. Have you done that?

Thanks for your response, Luke.

That's disappointing since I have dozens of complex playlists in MacOS MUSIC (neé iTunes).

Not sure why Emby is so disinclined to include COMPOSERS which is a very specific field in each song's metadata.

So I thought I would try a work-around by inserting each composer into the field ALBUM ARTIST. This is completely empty in my entire iTunes db of 15k songs. However, when I select this in Emby, it simply duplicates the ARTISTS listing! So if I tried to use this actually empty field, all my composers would be lost in a sea of ARTISTS which is useless for classical music selection. This is a definite bug.

Luke, do you have any suggestions as to how my problem can be addressed?

• 1 month later...