3D MKV

Glyde62

Glyde62

Had a try getting 3D Mkv files playing with TMT6 as external player

best I can do is get TMT6 to load when I select a 3D Title

but it doesn't play the file, Just sits there doing nothing,Is it possible

to do what iam trying in MBC or MB Theatre?

barrettuk

you may want to check out this thread - I intend to write up a cleaner guide once I have more figured out, but we do have a solution :-)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1611657-my-new-htpc-3d-playback.html

You will need to use stereoscopic player 2.2.8 beta as that's the only product right now (AFAIK) that can play MVC 3D from MKV. Install that and set it as another external player but only associated with .mk3d files. Then your TMT6 player will still handle everything else. To get the mk3d file just rip as normal with MakeMKV and once its done rename the file extension from .mkv to .mk3d

Let me know if I can help more...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Glyde62

Haven't had any luck trying to get MBC to play back 3D mkv files, Has anyone managed to get it working well yet?

swhitmore

Haven't had any luck trying to get MBC to play back 3D mkv files, Has anyone managed to get it working well yet?

Back when I was using MBC (I mostly use MBT now) I had it working with TMT6 as an external player.

Glyde62

Back when I was using MBC (I mostly use MBT now) I had it working with TMT6 as an external player.

Have tried getting it working with TMT6 but had no luck either

swhitmore

I think I've still got it setup. I'll try when I'm home in a few days (if you haven't got it sorted before then).

Glyde62

I think I've still got it setup. I'll try when I'm home in a few days (if you haven't got it sorted before then).

Thanks

Sparrowlogins

Hey. The only player that will play the mk3d files in 3d if you rip them from makemkv is stereoscopic player. Tmt 6 and cyberlink only play the file in a "fake" 3d.

The files that makemkv make are called mvc 3d files. At the moment, none of the big commercial players will play the file in native 3d and treat a file ripped in this way as a 2d mkv file that it can make into a fake 3d.

Stereoscopic player is a little frustrating as it states it is free but you have to pay to play anything more than 3 minutes long. I payed up and after that, it's brilliant. It handles amd, Intel, and nvidia 3d technology and loads of others. It plays half size side by side files. The only thing I would add is that for automatic playing, you may need to open half size files in stereoscopic once first, as it will ask you for each file whether to 16:9. Once done once, it remembers so opening with external player will then work easier.

• 10 months later...
soundsnake8

I have a little success using PowerDVD 14 with 3D MKV ripped with MAKEMKV but the quality is definitely lacking. The 3D depth is almost non existent. Any fonts are slightly bent. not impressed at all. I did download stereoscopic player and could not get it to work on my LG passive 3D TV within the 3 minute trial period, it was just to frustrating to keep playing with it. 3 minutes is not enough time to evaluate a software player I will not be trying it again unless that changes. I have found that the ISO method works for me flawlessly. Setting it up and getting it to work without a hitch each and every time was not easy but once working it has not failed once using both Emby Theater and Emby MCE. At this point I have to give 3D MKV a thumbs down.

barrettuk

As has already been stated the way to get full frame packed 3D working via MKV rips is with Stereoscopic player and yes you need to purchase a license as its not free, only a free trial which plays a few minutes. I have this solution and it works very well - you can not see any difference between the Blu-ray 3D and the MKV rip and I have this working on both a 55" passive 3D TV and my 133" Active Shutter Glass projector/Screen. All I did was change the extension of the ripped file from .mkv to .mk3d and set the external player for that file type to the stereoscopic player. If you are using NVidia cards you may also need to pay NVidia for their 3D stereo software as without that you have to MANUALLY set the NVidia driver to 3D which is a PITA! I did read that someone had a script to do that using XBMC but I am not skilled to make that work with EmBy... Search and you will find threads with full details including a write up I started a while back when I was learning about the options for doing this. I will say that I found it too much work for the few 3D movies I own so ended up dropping the whole process and now use the disc in my Oppo for all 3D movie watching :-)

barrettuk

Only with fake 3d or something like side by side - not frame packed from a MKV rip - TMT can't do that :-(