4K on android TV

lklemo
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

hi all, i have an premiere account (don't know if without it has any limitation on max quality)

i just got new sony bravia 4k android TV and installed emby client. i got to test a movie 4k mp4 and start playing it but i noticed that the server was doing transcoding and cpu was at max.

i tried to play same movie on my windows client an no transcoding was required 2160p @ 120mbps

i did second test by sending to play to bravia via dlna from emby on my phone (leaving  the quality to auto) and it worked directly without transcoding.

the tv is cable connected to the network, and emby server is runing as plugin on freenas box.

anyone any  idea why playing from the emby app in the tv is requiring transcoding??

vdatanet
Just now, Luke said:

Hi, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

This method is not accurate because many times it says that playback is direct and it's actually transcoding, even the server dashboard is saying "Direct play". It's better the transcoding log.

• Like 2

i found the issue: it was the media file it was encoded with h264 , i got another one hvec h265 and it was not trascoding anymore.

• Solution
1 hour ago, lklemo said:

i found the issue: it was the media file it was encoded with h264 , i got another one hvec h265 and it was not trascoding anymore.

That fact alone wouldn't explain why it is transcoding.

3 hours ago, vdatanet said:

This method is not accurate because many times it says that playback is direct and it's actually transcoding, even the server dashboard is saying "Direct play". It's better the transcoding log.

Then please open a ticket in the android tv section and we'll resolve it, but we don't want to have to give all end users a more difficult process than necessary of finding out this information.

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Then please open a ticket in the android tv section and we'll resolve it, but we don't want to have to give all end users a more difficult process than necessary of finding out this information.

It has been brought up in that topic at least twice...

Edit: And btw, it is not only in the ATV app wrong but also in the server dashboard.

Edited by neik
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, neik said:

It has been brought up in that topic at least twice...

Edit: And btw, it is not only in the ATV app wrong but also in the server dashboard.

• Sad 1

On 11/1/2020 at 11:06 PM, Luke said:

That fact alone wouldn't explain why it is transcoding.

i did a mess by converting it to 4k with h264 and the file from 5G went up to 25G, maybe some of the settings i put in handbrake.  it took 4 h to encode on E5-1650

• 10 months later...

me: buying nas to watch movies everywhere on everything

also me: having constant pain in the neck with all of these media servers, transcoding issues, dlna buffering, client apps etc. 

20 hours ago, slrch said:

me: buying nas to watch movies everywhere on everything

also me: having constant pain in the neck with all of these media servers, transcoding issues, dlna buffering, client apps etc. 

Hi.  We'd be happy to help you with whatever issues you are having.