Direct play error on some media

Zezoo333

Zezoo333

Greeting,

I'm streaming an mkv, acc, pgs file as you can see in the picture

The problem is that when I use that subtitle, my pc is transcoding, and as you guessed, there is no transcoding when I turn subtitles off. I tested it, and the subtitle works without transcoding when using plex.

Could you help me?

image.thumb.png.19528f702da8a16f0e6ca7bc1ec5bfef.png

FrostByte

Which app/version are you using?  ATV should not be transcoding PGS subs, I'm using the latest right now with PGS and it's Direct Playing.

Iirc if the ATV app direct plays the file then it's able to also play PGS without transcode but if the file needs to be remuxed then it will transcode if PGS are active.

I hope I'm not confusing stuff, @ebr.

• Like 1

Zezoo333
36 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Which app/version are you using?  ATV should not be transcoding PGS subs, I'm using the latest right now with PGS and it's Direct Playing.

32 minutes ago, neik said:

Iirc if the ATV app direct plays the file then it's able to also play PGS without transcode but if the file needs to be remuxed then it will transcode if PGS are active.

I hope I'm not confusing stuff, @ebr.

I'm using the official emby app on sony tv.

I also read they are supported. But when I turned stats for nerds (also saw CPU usage on pc), I found that it's only directly streaming without PGS

However, it's happened with an ACC 5.1 file. When I used a TrueHD file, MOST of the times it was direct, rarely it was transcoding. On both conditions, the reason was "Direct play error."

21 minutes ago, Zezoo333 said:

On both conditions, the reason was "Direct play error."

Hi.  That is the issue then.  Once we have to involve ffmpeg then the only way to display PGS subs is to burn them in.  We need to get to the reason why these files are producing an error on direct play.

Please play one of these items for just a few seconds and then immediately send a log from the app (and provide requested details here).  Thanks.

Zezoo333
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is the issue then.  Once we have to involve ffmpeg then the only way to display PGS subs is to burn them in.  We need to get to the reason why these files are producing an error on direct play.

Please play one of these items for just a few seconds and then immediately send a log from the app (and provide requested details here).  Thanks.

I have sent 2 logs, please ignore the first as I didn't play anything in it.

• I was playing "[Prof] Steins Gate the Movie - Load Region of Deja Vu (1920x1080 x265 AAC 5.1)"
  • User: Az

Hi.  It looks like this media file is compressed in a way not supported by the player.  So the app is falling back to transcoding.  How was the file created?

Zezoo333

Please check my last log. I played the file about 20s without PGS and it was direct, and after I turned on subtitles, it switched to transcoding.

I do not know, I downloaded it from the internet.

1 hour ago, Zezoo333 said:

I played the file about 20s without PGS and it was direct, and after I turned on subtitles, it switched to transcoding.

The playback error and switch to transcoding actually occurred before you turned on subtitles. 

19 minutes ago, Zezoo333 said:

In my stats, it only occured after switching. I can do it again if you need to make sure of it.

That's okay.  I'm sure of it.  The playback failed immediately due to the compression in the MKV.  The stats window can take several seconds to gather all the transcoding info from the server and update.

Zezoo333
21 minutes ago, ebr said:

That's okay.  I'm sure of it.  The playback failed immediately due to the compression in the MKV.  The stats window can take several seconds to gather all the transcoding info from the server and update.

I see what you mean. I opened it again without subtitles, there was "direct play error" in the reason for transcoding; however, it does NOT actually transcode. I played it for 2 mins, play method was "direct" for the entire time. I also know because there is no CPU usage at all. I sent a new log if you want to check.

p.s the CPU usage increases to 100 as soon as I open subtitles (haven't turned subtitles on in the last log)

Edited by Zezoo333

33 minutes ago, Zezoo333 said:

however, it does NOT actually transcode.

The first thing it will try in the case of an error is a simple remux.  The act of doing this changes the container and delivery method which then avoids the incompatible compression in this MKV (I think it is just in the headers).

4 hours ago, Zezoo333 said:

Ok, so is there anyway to fix my problem?

It would require customizations to Exo but, if you can provide a sample, we can investigate.

Zezoo333

I tried multiple methods to cut the video, but all changed the encoding. So I uploaded the whole movie in the attachments.

I hope you do not mind.

Edited by Abobader
Big file

Hi.  This isn't something that is going to happen in a matter of days.  We will have to fully investigate exactly how Exoplayer is handling this and then determine if we can change it.  We have it on our list to look at.

Thanks.

• 11 months later...
38 minutes ago, sngreco said:

I'm having the same issue with multiple files.  Any update on this one?

Hi.  Can we please look at details from your exact issue?  Thanks.