Mapping Channels Automatically

GiGo

Hey guys I'm very new to the whole IPTV thingy (24 hours in lol).

So I've figured out how to get the channels I want in my own m3u file, source the logos I want and display, I'm just wondering how I get Emby Guide Data to automatically Map the channel?

For instance;

#EXTINF:-1,UK: tvg-id="BBC1WSM" tvg-name="BBC 1" tvg-language="English" tvg-logo="https://cdn-0.tvprofil.com/cdn/400x200/4/img/kanali-logo/bbc-one-logo.png" tvg-country="UK" tvg-url="" group-title="",BBC1WSM
http://163.172.107.169:8000/plav-8260-br21/plav-8260-br21/201

This is what I use for BBC 1, but it doesn't load automatically map to BBC1, I assumed that it would work as when I select Map Channels it shows up;

Sorry if it's a n00b question, but I've tried searching but can't find the answer, hoping someone can help, thanks in advanced.

Also does the m3u file update itself or do I need to manually reload it if I alter it?

Live-TV.png

1 minute ago, cayars said:

How many channels do you have and what source are you using for your EPG?

Less than 20 channels and I was trying to use the Freeview data from Emby.

For 20 channels it will likely be easier to just map these channels in the Emby GUI.

link97381

I actually came looking for some info on this topic and may also have answer for you.  You can currently assign the numeric channel number of the channel with the tvg-id and I've had it work with higher numbered channels just fine.  I think with lower number channels you need to add a 0 or two at the beginning, i.e. 02 or 002.   There was a post on here a few years ago with a some talk about also using the station names/abbreviations/call letters to match which is what you're trying to do.

So now I'm gonna hijack a little here to save on making another post and ask if that's still going to happen or if GiGo is just doing it wrong?  I've actually been meaning to look into it myself.  I think the call sign approach would be better because you can have SD and HD versions of most channels that way(BBC1 and BBC1HD).   Unless maybe there is a way to specify the SD or HD version of a channel with just the number?  

link97381

Update to clarify I think it was tvg-chno="1234"  that I used to assign the channels when I was testing how to get it to map

• Like 1

Not sure why you want SD and HD versions of channels.  Likely more reasons against having them both then just HD version.

I'd try and avoid tvg-chno and use the stationID instead. But depending on the lineup can sometimes have different ID for the same channel.  There is a thread with a technical way to do this and I was going to look for it but with only 20 channels it's not worth the effort and the GUI method is much easier to do.

BTW, matching in the next version of LiveTV (new version in dev) will be much easier for this type of thing and offer several automated and manuals methods of matching the channels.

link97381

Not sure why you want SD and HD versions of channels.  Likely more reasons against having them both then just HD version.

Because I don't want to waste my limited bandwidth on streaming a UHD source to an HD display but would still like them available for when I am watching on my 4k TV.  By assigning the HD stream to the SD channel and the UHD stream to the HD channel I get different channel logos to tell them apart. 

And I just figured it out, need to set the tvg-name to the stationID.  I just had a 7/8 success rate using this method.  Adding tvg-chno to the one that was miss identified fixed the problem.  Using a combo of the two I tested 15 channels from two sources I combined into a single m3u.  I had 14/15 correctly identify with the last one having been correctly identified from one data provider and then misidentified by the other.  

GiGo the absolute best way to get it to identify is to set tvg-name="BBC1WSM" and if that doesn't work to add tvg-chno="1"

Ahh, streams via m3u vs cable.  The statement I made was more for cable SD vs HD. Often times on many cable providers (USA) SD is broadcast in mpeg2 while HD channels often in H.264 so nearly similar bitrate. Even in the situation you're using with m3u tuners a UHD stream is often not as good as the HD stream off OTA/cable in part to the lower bitrate rates used.

Everyone has their own reasons for setting things up the way they do, but for me I use OTA first, then Cable, then m3u streams and only select the best quality/reliable stream so that each channel is represented only one time in my lineup.  I do this because I setup series recordings using any channel and not worry about it recording from a lower SD channel vs the best.  That also keeps dupes out of "on now", "programs" and other parts of the system.

4 hours ago, link97381 said:

GiGo the absolute best way to get it to identify is to set tvg-name="BBC1WSM" and if that doesn't work to add tvg-chno="1"

That should do it.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Support for tvg-url and url-tvg is in Emby Server 4.8.3+: