Atmos not working on Shield

simonselmer

simonselmer

Hi

Sorry, I have googled a ton of posts of Dolby Atmos not working on Emby on Shield. And from all my reading it seems to be a Nvidia issue, not Emby.
But since I do run Emby on my Shield (bought it in 2019, but I dont think it's the newest 2019 pro), I ask here in this forum if anyone should have any up2date information and tricks to fix this.

I have a Samsung soundbar, N950 I think. It will/should write "Dolby Atmos" in the display when ever Atmos is played.
After I got the soundbar, it worked when playing movies with Atmos, however I could not hear the "Atmos"-effect, but that's perhaps another story. But the soundbar did say "Atmos", when I played those specific movies with TrueHD soundtrack, so I assume it received a signal with Atmos audio.

Now I began messing with it again, and now I find that nomatter what I play, the soundbar does not display "Atmos". So I dont know if an update at some point during the past year has broken this, or if it's a setting somewhere I need to set correctly. Either in Emby or on the Shield.

Any information or ideas from anyone?

Best Simon

simonselmer

Hi

Yes, in the client settings under Playback, I had wllowed DTS pass-thru and also enabled DTS-HD passthru. 

So that unfortunately doesn't do the trick.

Best Simon

Hi.  Exactly how is everything connected?  To get TrueHD to a soundbar, I think the Shield will have to be connected directly to it via HDMI (assuming the soundbar supports TrueHD).

rbjtech

Nvidia Shield > [HDMI] > N950 Input 1 

TV > [HDMI] > N950 Output 1

Ensure your Shield is set to 'Auto'  in the Audio settings & Atmos is enabled.  

Ensure Emby is set to Passthough in playback.

This should be all you need for True-HD/DTS-X + Atmos.

I have a Shield which plays Tru-HD/DTS-X HD + Atmos just fine (connected directly via HDMI to a Denon Amp) - so the issue will be physical connectivity or an incorrect setting somewhere.