TV folder is using file name not folder name for the episode name

tweekin

My TV folder is showing the file name not the folder name for each episode --- how do i get it to use the folder name ?

Structure is

series name

episode folder

file name

Hi, we don't really do that for episodes. What generally happens is the server will get internet metadata and use the title from that, otherwise it falls back to the file name.

Happy2Play

Pretty sure the issue is Emby will parses the episode file name for season and episode number, not the episode folder as this level was added not long ago and is currently not in the knowledge base as a supported structure.

But it is always best to show complete structure.

TV Shows
   The Mandalorian
      The Mandalorian.S01E01.xx.xx.xx.xx.xxx
         xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.mkv

I have not tested but do you see the same result with the addition of a actual Season 1 folder?

Happy2Play

@Luke will have to comment but I don't believe episode folder name has ever been used as I believe this is the first time this scenario has ever come up with episode name not being the same as episode folder name.

Happy2Play

No one so far has had different folder and filenames for episodes.  Luke added episode level folders not long ago as they were not supported.  But currently documented structure and naming are in the KB.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

@cayars episode folders will need to be added to the kb, but will need confirmation from Luke on requirements.

1 hour ago, tweekin said:

file name is image.png.5074196af9cbe4bb441f40e3151ef632.png

1 hour ago, tweekin said:

thanks for the reply -i added a season 1 folder but no change - still picking up the file name and displaying that

image.thumb.png.c14166241d578dec4e5988ce201f98b1.png

You just need to do a little housekeeping every time you get a file from Newsgroups.

Rename the 8ffxxxxxxxxxxx.mkv file to The.Mandalorian.S01E01.mkv Just 'edit' the folder, copy the first part of the folder name, then paste it over the 8fffffxxxxxxxx...takes two seconds.

Then make sure your folder and files structure is:

The Mandalorian - Season 1 - The.Mandalorian.S01E01.mkv

There are ways to automate this, but if you are just obtaining the file once a week, then just do it manually. Next week, once you have the file, just rename the new 8ffxxxxxxx.mkv to The.Mandalorian.S01E02.mkv and drop that file into The Mandalorian - Season 1 folder....rinse and repeat....

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, cayars said:

What's this episode folder you speak of?

I will have to search or @Luke comment.  But looks like file name restriction applies as file name is uses not folder name for episodes.

Library
	The Mandalorian
		The Mandalorian S01E01 (episode folder)
			The Mandalorian S01E01.mkv

Library
	The Mandalorian
		Season 1
			The Mandalorian S01E01 (episode folder)
				The Mandalorian S01E01.mkv

But to me this is a edge case that was added not long ago.

Edited by Happy2Play

PenkethBoy
2 hours ago, kaj said:

You just need to do a little housekeeping every time you get a file from Newsgroups.

Rename the 8ffxxxxxxxxxxx.mkv file to The.Mandalorian.S01E01.mkv Just 'edit' the folder, copy the first part of the folder name, then paste it over the 8fffffxxxxxxxx...takes two seconds.

Then make sure your folder and files structure is:

The Mandalorian - Season 1 - The.Mandalorian.S01E01.mkv

There are ways to automate this, but if you are just obtaining the file once a week, then just do it manually. Next week, once you have the file, just rename the new 8ffxxxxxxx.mkv to The.Mandalorian.S01E02.mkv and drop that file into The Mandalorian - Season 1 folder....rinse and repeat....

or get sonarr to do it for you

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

or get sonarr to do it for you

Thanks for the push :) I've put off using something like sonarr, as it seemed a little complex to setup....however, I just tried again, and though not completely intuitive, it's working! 👍

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

if you can get sonarr working - radarr and lidarr are just as "easy" i think there is a bazarr for subs as well